PDA

View Full Version : New Arrival a few questions and a friendly greeting

Master Dru-Er
05-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Well Greetings all you custom saber makers out there. Im a huge Star Wars fan (Duh i cant tell you how much abuse ive taken over getting so worked about things like this) and recently stumbled upon these fine forums. I've recently ordered a Darth Vader UltraFX in Cyan and have just a few questions.
1) The warranty is only for 90 days correct? The reason i ask is from reading these threads i have a few "lightly custom" ideas of my own to hop up my vader. Including lil LED's during activation and possibly painting the the black pieces to a gold to make it a lil more jedi because i really enjoy the shape of this saber over the others i think it would look even better minus some of the black. Which brings me to my next question....
2) Is that piece plastic and if so what type of paint do you guys recommend? i know i'd like more or a mirrored finish but totally understand that, that would be difficult but any input as to what has been done to recieve the results is greatly appreciated.
3) I havent recieved my saber yet and must also note ive never seen a luxeon unit in person either. I chose the cyan for the fact that, that particular color stirs more of an emotion than the others and just POPs for me so......How great was it for you guys when you had your amazing saber-cherry popped, so that i have atleast some cushioning for the tard-happiness that well inevitably wash over me upon first ignition.

xl97
05-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Ive been plannign and building/collecting parts for many months..

spent many a night in the garage on the sander/grinder/bandsaw

order even more parts..

when parts hunting from store to store form place to place..

and still have YET to completely wire one up.. bilt a couple hilts.. never fully lit one up myself..

(actually hoping to do it with a feew weeks).. :)

I actually like building them and finding/creating parts on top of purchased parts, to make more of a unique/'one of' saber..

good luck..
and welcome

Barmic Rin
05-07-2008, 03:35 PM
I haven't got around to grabbing a US cyan yet, though I kinda like the one I grabbed from Erv @ plecter, so I can't give a true answer as Erv's appears more green tinted than Tim or Ultra's ones.

You can still have a jedi with a vader style hilt with the black!

My heiland has a vader style shroud, and two sets of black O-rings, but still has a green blade!

For reference, this should have gone into the Misc. Topics or General hilt building.
Just keeps the place tidy if we put it all in the right place.

Oh, and welcome!!!

Master Dru-Er
05-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Yea i know what you mean XL before this i was deep into cars (single cam turbocharged hondas) but am pulling out due to the high gas prices and poor mileage to a modified vehicle i got parts motors transmissions turbos i should have picked up a less expensive hobby awhile ago but live and learn.

Barmic i should have been more descriptive dont limit the experience to just cyan i ment all colors like when you recieved/built your first saber and whoops on the thread placement.

As far as jedi/sith sabers go for myself after i get my costume i think that with gold over the black would look really nice with the browns and tans of the outfit and to add a bit of uniqueness just my point of view.

Jak'Kan-Ur
05-08-2008, 05:08 AM
Yea that would look nice.
You gonna go to conventions and all with your sabers? ( when you make em? )

I think I am for sure. ( hehe ) Once my sabers are built if anyone goes you'll see me.
My girlfriend just demanded my first saber goes to her. Well I guess it goes to her.
So I need to make another ( lol )
Anyways, Welcome to the forums man.
Post pictures once your done building your lightsaber.
I have a feeling I will be building mine for a while adding parts here and there and more and more and more.
LOL

thornwolf
05-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums.

First off the cyan with a Vader hilt sounds cool and Ultra does excellent work so you'll be very happy with the finished product. I'm assuming you picked up the ANH Vader, so I can't say about the shroud. It should be the same rough coated plastic that my Empire Strikes Back Vader shroud is. As for gold, I think that will look great with a Cyan led since they are a nice contrast. Ultra sells extra Vader shrouds from his store if he has extra. You could always try out the paint scheme on a spare shroud before you dismantle the one from your saber.

I built my first MHS in March. Soldering the connections was simplier than I thought it to be since I previosuly had no experience. I can tell you there is a really nice feeling when you fire up a saber for the first time, and in my case didn't burn my townhouse down with a soldering iron! Originally I picked a green led as they are the brightest to the eye. After a week though I switched to a deep Royal Blue which is by far the best blade color, in my opinion. I placed it on a vertical display next to my Master Replicas Lukes (both green and blue) and my Vader. Now, I am building my wife a Sith saber as she immediately demanded a red one.

Good luck with the saber, and please post pictures so we can see how your modifications look.

Jak'Kan-Ur
05-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums.
Now, I am building my wife a Sith saber as she immediately demanded a red one.

Hmm, seems we all have demanding women needing their light saber desires fulfilled...
Mine demanded Red, but I bought yellow instead oops......
Women must all be sith. Hehe

Master Dru-Er
05-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Jak totally hitting up the convention scene and when i get a costume together im gonna join the midwest base rebel legion forums. Ive seen a few events on their site like chicago symphony, Peoria symphony orchestra events and so on and so forth i really enjoy classical music so why not dress with a group of ppl as exicited as you are about those particular events/gatherings for fans you know?
My girlfriend much prefers i keep my "saber talk" to myself (not to mention my rediculous conversations about DBZ with random people i run into) but respects my hobbie and knows its very important to me(she said she'd rock something that would couple up on halloween).
Ill be posting some pics up as soon as i recieve it the wait is the hardest part but i guess i have been waiting for 22 yrs so whats a lil countdown finally it has an ending.

Wolf i have a lil apprehensiveness towards jumping into a saber project yet, i only have a tiny bit of experience in car audio with soldering im a pretty patient guy very cautious of making mistakes thus why im not jumping just yet. But ive been reading the heck outa these forums lots of very good info floating around here.

Count Malik
05-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Welcome to the forums! Yes please post pics (if you can). it sounds very interestingly cool.:rolleyes: