PDA

View Full Version : CF v4 and Tim's PLI

BlackDOG
05-05-2008, 10:33 PM
I did a search, but little result......

Can Tim's PLI be utilized as an animated bargraph with a CF? I somehow doubt it, because as I understand how the PLI is set up, it responds to battery voltage and not some other input.

bd

eastern57
05-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm curious as well. I shall look into this... (read as: I'll buy one and try)

xl97
05-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I have a PLI.. (but no CF)... (anyone wanna trade?) ;)

I will be interested in hwo you mount and utilize your PLI.. I have several ideas.. none have anything to show so far.. mainly looking for a special housing that will 'fit just right'.

I sorta have one.. doesnt fit as well as Id like it too.. but it has a clear top center piece/channel that you can see the leds through.. :)

xwingband
05-06-2008, 09:09 PM
The PLI in the store acts like a chaser... it will go one by one fast as it "boots" and settles on the one to indicate the charge.

I guess you could bypass the IC to have individual control over the LEDs, but that's a waste. There are other barpgraphs out there that would be cheaper and better suited to it.

eastern57
05-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Like on the Killer Penny video? Is that the way it's supposed to be? Xwing, I think you just cheated Tim out of another purchase by me *shhh...thanks* ;)

BlackDOG
05-23-2008, 05:54 AM
I have a PLI.. (but no CF)... (anyone wanna trade?) ;)

I will be interested in hwo you mount and utilize your PLI.. I have several ideas.. none have anything to show so far.. mainly looking for a special housing that will 'fit just right'.

I sorta have one.. doesnt fit as well as Id like it too.. but it has a clear top center piece/channel that you can see the leds through.. :)

Yeah, I messed around with mounting for this MHS saber.....too cluttered looking and once I settled on big honkin batteries.....no room.

Erv' has one on CE4 saber (the one in the Calendar?) anyhoo...it just a slit with semi-reflective tape over it......very clean.

Oh well next saber I suppose......

Corbin_Das
05-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi guys
As Xwing said, the PLI responds to voltage, so trying to animate it would be a bit complicated. More trouble than it's worth probably. It might be interesting to have each of the CF board's animated LED leads hooked up to a different resistor, then all of them tied to the + input of the PLI. Then it would ramp up to one level, then up or down to another, then to another, etc. It would be so much easier to just have it animate an LED bat graph and have a low battery indicator LED.
I had actually considerd doing this with my Killer Penny, since it's getting a CF sound board installed. I decided to just go with a standard LED bar graph though. Why over complicate things.

Corbin

eastern57
05-23-2008, 09:11 PM
I had actually considerd doing this with my Killer Penny, since it's getting a CF sound board installed. I decided to just go with a standard LED bar graph though. Why over complicate things.

Really? KP with a CF? As if it wasn't the ultimate to begin with...

It is, of course, not my place to say, but if you'll allow me: I would think that addition might tarnish the romanticism of such a show piece; although it would make it that much more awesome - either way, please pardon my having said so.

Roy's Blues
07-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Hi guys
As Xwing said, the PLI responds to voltage, so trying to animate it would be a bit complicated. More trouble than it's worth probably. It might be interesting to have each of the CF board's animated LED leads hooked up to a different resistor, then all of them tied to the + input of the PLI. Then it would ramp up to one level, then up or down to another, then to another, etc. It would be so much easier to just have it animate an LED bat graph and have a low battery indicator LED.

Corbin

May I have a link to where one of those animated bar graphs is for sale?

eastern57
07-11-2008, 02:34 AM
His reference "bar graph" is just the LED pads 1-4 on a regular CF. Nothng more.

xl97
07-11-2008, 06:15 AM
I want to be clear.. the PLI..ONLY will light up 1 light at a time..correct.. if its say full charge..only the TOP green will be lit..correct..not the whole bar all the way up to the green light...correct?

BlackDOG
07-14-2008, 03:02 PM
My PLI lit up the entire thing at full current, but I could be wrong....it got damged in a saber accident And I have not had it back in the hilt since.

bd

vortextwist
07-17-2008, 05:01 PM
the pli I have lights up full when charged. What I would like to know is if there is a self contained (and fairly small) led thingy, like the pli for animation?

eastern57
07-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Dude, with the SMD LEDs that I got, I'm starting to think just about anything is possible now. Those things are so smal (and versatile)l, it's not even funny... downright frustrating actually...

Now to use it as a PLI also... that might be cool... that would have to come from the man himself. But I would bet that Erv could be able to program an option so the 4 LED pads could function as a PLI... but probably just for specific banks... in place of an animation... know what I mean?....

VT, did you have something in mind? Maybe I can help you out.

vortextwist
07-17-2008, 07:15 PM
well I'm actually looking for something like that for my blaster and blaster core which I beleive already has that feature but I wasn't sure on the led's or how to set them up in the blaster. Maybe i'll make a thread about it in costuming or something.