PDA

View Full Version : Sith Costume WIP

Stinky Bantha
05-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm working on an original sith costume at the moment, and while there's really not much to show right now, I had a couple questions so I figured I'd make the thread and add stuff as I got it done.

I'm using a pretty standard tunic, and since I'm probably not going to go with tabbards, I thought I'd add some length to the undertunic kinda like Darth Maul with the flowy bits that go around the legs. My question for you is about that: for the (for lack of a better term) skirt, should I make it double thickness, or just one piece hemmed? I'm totally new to sewing and costume-making so any help is appreciated.

For reference, this is sorta what I'm going for, but the bottom part will most likely just be attached to a t-shirt with a modified collar.

http://www.jedi-academy.com/art/maulinnercoat_f.jpg

psab keel
05-05-2008, 11:56 AM
I would go with just one layer. If you have other layers for this costume it will get hot real quick, so any place where you can use less material (and save a little money too) is helpful.

Hope this helped.

DARTH KALEL
05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
I am of the oposite opinion. I like the way multi layers sit and feel, I would use something mid weight on the outter something that breathes, like a wool cotton blend, it will be a little warm but you can off set that with a nylon or rayon lining sewn to a light cotton twill. then cross stitch the the lining into a quilted look. that will give you a good insulation and breathe. with the light wool blend it will be lightweight and be really cool unless in direct sunlight. you could also sew in different types of vents and rings into the outer lining to provide a little more airflow. I really like the overall idea, but the boots need to be streamlined and form fitting. Not real bulky. I know bulky boots are more menacing looking but sith design their boots not only for intimidation but also for combat so something lightwieght with some shin guards would probably look and feel best. what is the overlay going to look like or is there one? If not it would be real cool to see some shoulder and arm guards/armor this is just MO

Saving money is always great but if your giong to be wearing it often then you might want to stick with something that will wear and wash for awhile, you won't save enough money in the long run if you are dissapointed with it a year later. trust me I know. Plus remember single layers mean you have to worry about the fabric shafeing your skin where as a lining will make it alot more comfortable over a long period, far ofsetting the heat. This is the main part you will be wearing the most so make sure it's going to feel right and make you smile.

Stinky Bantha
05-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys, and thanks for the fabric tips, Kalel, I'll definitely look into that. I don't think I was very clear, though. The picture is actually from Darth Maul's costume, and it's just a guideline for the undertunic that I'm going to make. I was just wondering from a flow standpoint, would a hemmed single layer of fabric be better, or something made from two pieces stitched together? Keep in mind that this would just be attached (out of sight) to a shirt or something under the outer tunic, and it will not be one piece like in the picture which is just to give an idea for the length.

As for armor... I've got some plans for that. I've got some normal workboots that won't look that great at the moment, but I plan on getting some greaves and matching bracers. These bracers in fact: http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/berserker-bracers-9641.html. In black of course.

DARTH KALEL
05-05-2008, 08:58 PM
cool , yeah i thought it was going to show more. I would just use a real cheap thin cotton with a rayon lining. it's really cheap and keeps the flow intact. I have found that the quilted thing isn't just for looks but also allows the fabric to remain even temp. I use to wear something similar but not as long under my vest when I was doing security. I found that it stays in place better and stays alot cooler.

Stinky Bantha
07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Well, after a break for a while, I finally got back to work on my costume. Here's what I've got so far. At the moment I'm lacking a nice belt and an undertunic, so I'll have to work on that.

http://i30.tinypic.com/9sui3s.jpg

NickVader
07-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Looking good so far. You thinking of adding a cloak of something? I don't know, it just looks a bit too....simple to me. Unless that's the look you're going for.

Stinky Bantha
08-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Here's the finished version for now. This is what I'll be wearing to DragonCon (half the time... Indy the rest)

http://i34.tinypic.com/2m2ht14.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/k054iq.jpg

Jay-gon Jinn
08-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Looks good! Kind of reminds me of some of the Sith characters in KOTOR II...

vamphunterx
09-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Bantha, I remember seeing you at D*C. I asked you about your lightsaber on the Atrium level of the Marriott. I think I was in my Nero costume at the time.

Mazarill Slay
09-18-2008, 09:05 AM
I think i saw you also...

looks cool btw ;D