PDA

View Full Version : what was your first lightsaber

sekrogue1985
05-05-2008, 10:51 AM
what was your first lightsaber. I'm not talking about the toys or what we build i'm talking farther back. What was the first thing you turned into a lightsaber.

for me, i took a bunch of those sented markers that were color coated and with scotch tape takes a ton of black ones together for my hilt and then added a bunch of green ones for the blade. It was all i had around at the time and what not. it was pretty weak but it totally filled the need. later i i just painted sticks and my shinai and oh did my instructer yell at me. What i was 5 and after seeing Star Wars I had this need for a lightsaber. And infinally in the after the special editions came out and kenner released the lightsabers well i was in heaven i had luke's and my brother had vader's and we went to town on those things. I believe we went through 3 sets cause well yeah.

anywho share your story of your first saber here.

thornwolf
05-05-2008, 11:29 AM
My first saber hilt was a long cylindrical vaccum attachment, but when Ignited I had a wiffle ball bat that I took a green marker to. I'd walk around the house with my green bat making the sound effects.

It was great for me but not for my younger brother, who always had to climb into the R2D2 toy box and make the sounds and move the head. Every Jedi needed his trusty droid sidekick.

ArkaiHalon
05-05-2008, 11:51 AM
my first lightsaber was a stick that i wrapped in ducttape for ahandle and painted the rest blue

chase
05-05-2008, 12:24 PM
My first lightsaber was a 6ft 1in diameter wooden dowel I spray painted black and red...My friend made a hilt out of something...I don't even know what he used but he had a broom stick that he painted blue. We started dueling 8 years ago....lots of hurt fingers with those. I moved away and when I last visited him, I brought my luxeon saber over.... He is designing something for me to make now.

DARTH KALEL
05-05-2008, 01:33 PM
many different things my dad made me a vacuum handled one with a dowel inside wrapped in those pool tubes, you know the styrofoam ones, it was red. favorite color is red so no doubt i always wanted to be a sith. my dad just cross drilled the tube and dowel and put bolts through, it was great till I started beating everybody with it, then mom said it had to go, but dad and I just hid it in the shed, I would sneak off and go play in the shed, she must have just forgotten, I still have it to this day.

DDanDevious
05-05-2008, 02:07 PM
when I was super little I remember being Vader for halloween... you know the awesome kid costumes with the mask thats got that elastic band that holds it on your face and it gets all foggy gross from your breath and ewwwggh.... anyswayze, that was the bomb, and I had a gift wrap tube with a bunch of construction paper taped to it and that was pretty much the most amazing thing ever.

DDD!

Barmic Rin
05-05-2008, 02:09 PM
A black, rubber coated torch.

And my mouth for the hum!

DaJoQuim
05-05-2008, 05:43 PM
my first saber was an old golf club painted blue for the blade end and my father had another old golf club painted red on the blade end.I was luke and my father was darth vader lol!!

Novastar
05-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Technically, mine was the old, green hollow plastic tube with the thick hollow black hilt called the ROTJ toy... which had a little "wind tunnel" in the tip. When you swung it around... the air flowed through it, and it howled like a whistle. Not very great, but neat to a kid like me. :)

But my first *TRUE* saber would depend on how one wanted to look at it:

* Corbin Das sent me the "padawan" and amber sabers together if I recall... so those were my next "real" sabers...

* The Light Master saber was meant for me though... the original saber I named "Flange", which was designed by Corbin and Ryan from RS.

The rest is history. :)

But yeah, looks like I skipped over years and years of stuff, huh? I never owned an EL... nor an FX... nor a Hasbro... nor ANY of that--nor had I really even heard of them until I started research for BOP I (performed in 2006) during 2004/2005.

Zero Unit
05-05-2008, 07:47 PM
I used to take those long fax paper tubes, color a piece of pliable cardboard, then roll it up to a point and glue it to said fax tube. Inside were several linked Crayola markers for extra rigidy. Wasn't half bad if I do say so myself.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
05-05-2008, 10:32 PM
I think I had a plastic tube that I jammed onto the end of a flashlight, and about a thousand cardboard wrapping paper tubes wrapped with colored tape.

First thing I made that looked even remotely like a "real" saber was made with a plastic vacuum tube, some ribbed rubber mat, and some metal bits and bobs. I still have it in a box somewhere.

xl97
05-20-2008, 11:02 PM
I think as a kid I too made things out of tubes and vaccuum hoses..

but my first 'metal type' saber (sink/hardware type) was this.. which I sorted added a new copper top too.. :)

http://dmstudios.net/misc/sinkSaber/styleA_mini.jpg (http://dmstudios.net/misc/sinkSaber/styleA.jpg) http://dmstudios.net/misc/sinkSaber/styleB_mini.jpg (http://dmstudios.net/misc/sinkSaber/styleB.jpg)

Darth Lars
05-21-2008, 04:19 AM
My first "lightsaber", as a kid back in the '80's was a plastic sword that glowed in the dark. Quite disappointing light output.
I reused parts of it for the backlighting chamber for a Star Wars film cell. I could have used just about anything, really, but I wanted to reuse something of my first saber, even if only I knew. The rest I threw away.

The first one I built, I built in 2002. The base was a 30 mm anodized aluminum pipe. The shroud, clamp and grips were polypropylene pipe (bad material!), hand-painted. Control box is a 9V battery (because of early dreams of a light-up saber blade). Pommel is sculpey. Greeblies are a pin, finishing washer, twist-cap from a tube and the latching button from a pen.
It is the rightmost saber in this pic (http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/DarthLars/?action=view&current=customs.jpg).

Mi Gin Gonn
05-21-2008, 04:43 AM
my first "saber" didn't even have a blade, just the handle portion, which I made from a screen-door spring. my first "real" one was one I built when I first discovered that there actually WAS such a thing as LED sabers, thanks to Ultra's old thread on TFN. it was a sinktube saber with a polyc cyan blade, modeled after Luke's first one from ANH since I wanted one since I was a kid. little did I know that all I had to do was dremel a sinkpipe found at any hardware store. if only I'd known back then what I know now. I sold it to a kid that lives next door to me later. I felt like Obi Wan giving Luke HIS first lightsaber (or actually, the kid's father probably did since HE paid for it, lol).

DarthFender
05-21-2008, 05:17 AM
My brother and I used to whack each other over the head with broom handles. Does that qualify?

Jak'Kan-Ur
05-21-2008, 05:34 AM
My brother and I used to whack each other over the head with broom handles. Does that qualify?

I got with this too.. and aluminum pipes.
When they hit it sounded like metal against metal but not in our minds!!!!