PDA

View Full Version : The 5 second rule and you.

Hasid Lafre
05-04-2008, 03:54 AM
http://health.msn.com/nutrition/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100151019&GT1=31036

Firebird21
05-04-2008, 05:30 AM
Oh boy... The great germ debate...

Are you sure you want to open up this can of worms? lol

Germs arn't going to kill us, Anti-bacterial soap will. Our immune system is just like a mussle, if you don't use it you loose it, and when you need it it won't be there.

I'm not saying you should go eat a bag of Germ Jerky, but I do honor the 5 second rule with some exceptions, like the sticky stuff where you pick it back up and your cat is stuck to it... A small rat or mouse or even Paris Hilton's dog, maybe... But not anything bigger than a cat.

Hasid Lafre
05-04-2008, 05:38 AM
Yeah, if you dont give your immune system something to fight then it could kill you.

Ghostbat
05-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Although I agree that sanitizing our environment is only breeding supergerms and reducing our resistance to the, I gave up on the 5 second rule a few apartments back when I had a carpeted kitchen... ew...

chase
05-05-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm guilty. Hell, I'm guilty of the 10 second rule when the 5 second rule runs out. I also get sick maybe once a year for a total of 1 or 2 days. Vitamins also help....

thornwolf
05-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I agree that all the antibacterial soaps and wipes are creating the new superbugs. I can't stand when I see parents wiping down everything the kid touches.Kids are supposed to get exposed to these pathogens so they develop stronger resistence.

My wife and I both work in the medical field and we've had this discussion with friends countless times and none of them listen. There's being sanitary, like not eating a piece of cake off a public toliet seat, and there's being a person with obsessive compulsive disorder blindly wiping every surface in the house down.

MMMMM..... cake....

Darth_DevilGuy
05-05-2008, 01:37 PM
honestly, you're not gonna get sick from eating something that hit the floor or the counter, there's almost as much dust accumulated on the average plate sitting in the cabinet anyway.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
05-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Timing is everything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1z6OCRJVks

Daj Nallig
05-06-2008, 07:52 PM
That was hilarious... timing IS everything!

Dark Navel
05-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I've been an EMT for long enough to see my share of nasty @^#%! I'll chance the five seconds no problem..I could tell stories that would probably make a few of ya puke on your computer screens..

Yup, I'll chance the 5 second rule.

Hasid Lafre
05-06-2008, 09:57 PM
First of all, the song in that video is farking awsome, Long live the muppets.

If you dont get sick then how you gonna fight the sickness? Me I only get headcolds and about once every 2 years I get really sick but then thats what I could call a reallly bad cold. I get headcolds about 5 or so times a year when the seasons change then maybe a random one will pop in every now and then.

I love my immune system, just wish allergies were so subdued for me.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
05-06-2008, 10:52 PM
If you like the song, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GCevGm-sKE

Regarding immune systems, I'm like you. I seldom get sick, and when I do, it's just the sniffles and a stuffy head for a few days. Not too bad. This winter, I got hit hard with a real doozie, but that's rare.

Fortunately, I seem to have outgrown my allergies. I used to have terrible, almost debilitating allergies to dust, pollens, etc. Now, I hardly get any symptoms. I bought a bottle of antihistamines last spring, and I still have 3/4 of the bottle a year later.

Hasid Lafre
05-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Iam not sure what it is but right now I feel ill, I think its cause of the temp change being so rapid and uneven. if it sloly went to warm from teh cold instead of going from colt to hot to cold back to hot then mix in the warmish coldish humidity from the rain its throwing my body out of wack. if I stay cool I feel fine but the only cool are of the house is my room and with the season changing bacments got that funky smell when it warms up after the winter. So Im gonna have to get every fan in the house and air the bacment out. Thats the one thing I hate about my room. But I love it cause it retains the temps quite well even thou I dont have a real door anymore. lol well Ihalf of a real door but the rest is a blanket that I got nailed to the doorway. an idea I got off the carnival, a way to keep privacy without having your door closed and still get air movment.

Firebird21
05-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I have a reletive that is a major germaphobe...

They are always getting sick, well more often than me, and I will eat pizza wile pulling an engine. The motor oil adds a nice flavor to it.;)

I've even eaten freshly nuked chicken parm off a dusty concrete floor of a body shop...

It was less than 5 seconds!...

Barmic Rin
05-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I used to have obosessive compulsive disorder. I'd was my hands after touching anything: Pets, door handles, plants, food. Whatever.

I'd wash my hands every time I touched an ingredient for a sandwich, so it'd take like 20mins to make one!

Then I had a summer job with my Dad as a fridge mechanic. I'd quite happily take a compressor apart, wipe my hands down my overalls, then grab some lunch with no qualms about the germs.

It was weird, I have a pretty good immune system, so shouldn't have worried. I take maybe 3days off sick a year tops, and at least one of those would be a skive!

FB, you're right, oil improves the flavor (especially in afew of the places we repaired equipment!)