PDA

View Full Version : switch help/questions..(latching help)

xl97
05-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I am on the look out for a cool LATCHING button/switch to work with my plecter driver..

I have a bunch of buttons/switches 'in stock' here.. but I need to ask. If the package DOES NOT say momentary..is it (by default) a latching?

I kept the packages.. and they really dont say..

Im assuming all the tact buttons I have are momentary??

Says SPST contact config. on the back..

another push button package DOES say SPST momentary..

so to sum it up..

I have some tact buttons 2.5 & 9.5 ones.. they say SPST contact config, surface mount.. 50mA, 12VDC

I have other that clearly state they are momentary (which is why Im questioning I suppose)

and I have some SWITCHES

SPDT & DPDT types.

not sure that really means.. but I know either has 3 or 6 poles..

(and I guess Im not sure what poles to use on a SPST or DPDT type of switch anyways.)

I really wanna just put on a generic battery pack and wire up the LED drvier & hasrbro and the P4 (no lens) to see it shine..

this is the set-up Im going with:

http://dmstudios.net/misc/setup_1.jpg

the PLI will be wired AFTER the main on/off siwtch (just isnt in the diagram)..
and I was informed I need to swap out the tact momentary switch for my main on/off switch)

Thanks

xwingband
05-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Tactiles are exclusively momentary.

SPDT is the three pole ones. DPDT is the six poled ones. The action really depends on the style though. Say a SPDT push button is essentially engaging three at once with a common ground for two circuits. A SPDT slide though still has that common, but you are switching between the circuits.

I'm not sure how to apply this to your specific setup, but I hope it helps!

xl97
05-02-2008, 08:14 PM
all 'real' replys help..

Thanks..

http://dmstudios.net/misc/setup_1.jpg

Im looking to replace the momentary in this.. (since the main on/off was set to be a momentary tact button)..

I guess I knew the SPDT had 3 poles and the DPDT had 6.. Im not sure what the difference between having 3 or 6 was though..

having never wired up a LED before (yikes).. I havent wored up a switch for one before..

the 6 pole version.. I would put the circuit on either side.. and when the slide is in the position..it makes the 'connection'..... correct?

but on a 3 pole one? I guess Im still lost.. sorry for being 'thick' here..

I dont think I need any other latching positions except just 1, on/off.

maybe I am way off base?

update:

ok.. well I have a new diagram..

which I am hoping is corrected now. ?? :)

http://dmstudios.net/misc/setup_2.jpg

I have corrected the PLI to be on the main switch now..

I have taken out the tact momentary switch that I had for the main on/off, and put in another switch I have available (DPDT submini switch) :)

Thanks again.

:)

eastern57
05-02-2008, 09:36 PM
As far as "space-saving" or smallest available, this is the smallest latching switch I know of:
http://www.graflexshop.com/luxeon.htm
It's the on/off, low-profile latching switch (yellow button). The base is the same dimensions as the ones sold here (sold there too), but without the threaded portion.
L3/4" x w1/2" x 5/16"

It's the smallest I've found so far.

xl97
05-02-2008, 09:46 PM
yikes.. those are big..

Im super bummed that I cant use the momentary tacts I have in my 'set-up'... but at least I am learning more each day. :)

what about the DPDT switches?

eastern57
05-02-2008, 09:58 PM
DPDT will be even hugerer... if you want a smaller hold-in-the-on-position, you might have to go with a slider switch (SPDT), or even a toggle (not a big fan of those).

BTW, DPDT means you're connecting two circuits with one motion... think of turning on two hoses from two houses with one spigot

edit: guess you got the DPDT idea, nevermnd on that... and the PLI in parallel is an idea new to me... interesting

xl97
05-02-2008, 10:10 PM
LOL..dont take anything (and I mean anything in my diagrams as 'new'.. I have no clue.. Im just trying.. and posting for feedback).

and yes...sorry I did mean DPDT 'slide' switch.. I have one that very small half a dime or so.. (6 poles)

I was wondering if I can use that in place of my tact one that i cant use?

Its in the second diagram above.. (the DPDT slide switch)..

what do you mean in parallel? (re: the PLI) ( which reminds me....I still need to make a custom housing for that damn thing..LOL)

Im wondering if I can, using the DPDT slide switch for my main on/off switch have the following:

1.) have the PLI on all the time when the saber is on (which I was planning on doing)
2.) have middle position JUST be the PLI on (to check battery life).. but NOT turn on saber
3.) completely off obviously..

again.. Im an electronics 'retard'.. :)

Web, graphics.. yeah..thats me.. LOL..

p.s. what type of button comes on the hasbro boards? pretty sure it momentary..but I figured Id ask..

so does that mean I cant have my set-up as in my latest diagram? or can the Hasbro be used like I have it with the slide switch?

LOL thanks

eastern57
05-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Yes, hasbro boards are mom. The PLI idea of having it Latched on is new to me, I've only seen it rigged with mom, and seperate from the overall circuit... which, I guess it still is with a dpdt, so disregard the parallel comment - either way will work, just preference now. I've never resurected a hasbro board, so I don't know what to expect, but the wiring logic looks sound.

I think a true electronics retard would have tried to eat the assembly by now, if you have, then, yes, you would be one