PDA

View Full Version : Looking for DPDT switch

Dark Navel
05-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey guys,

I am looking for ideas on a DPDT switch. I know there are the mini slide type but I'm looking for something a bit more sleek. I was wondering if anyone has come across a flush-mount illuminated switch or even someting that doesn't have the illumination. What I want is something that would be as flush as poosible to the hilt, preferably metal (stainless, aluminum) that would not be too huge in diameter that makes the switch look ridiculous when it's mounted flush with the outside wall of the hilt.

Thoughts?

Dark Navel
05-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I have seen the illuminated switches that are circular, push type but I beleive they are momentary only.

Ugg..

Anyone have any ideas?? Do-Clo is making me a bad arse saber and I need some switch ideas..It's going to be just like the Firestrorm saber he has made in the past. Going with an Amber LED to match the golden highlights in the hilt and I would hate to put in a boring switch.

I need your help, your my only hope.

(Jeez I'm corney)

eastern57
05-02-2008, 09:51 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-LED-PUSH-BUTTON-BRASS-DPDT-ON-OFF-ON-SWITCH-R22ZE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ107058QQihZ019QQi temZ290078399146QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I like this distributor, but haven't bought this style... haven't heard very positive things about this one in particular... plus it's huge... look around, you might find something better.

Dark Navel
05-03-2008, 02:54 PM
That's one I was looking at...Looks like it's almost 3/4" in diameter, yup way too big. CRAP..I'll keep looking. Thanks for replying though.

xl97
05-03-2008, 04:53 PM
you aint the only one.. :)

as on now.. I am going to plan on using the DPDT 9.0 x 3.5 x 5.5mm (LWH) (6 pole)

(as seen in this set-up I pan on doing)

it is very small (being a slide switch) like a 1/4 of a penny.. I posted a pic with some change next to my switches in some thread..

if the switch was installed to be left/right, it isnt even the height of a double male threaded connector

I wonder if there any common item(s) we can cannabilize for its switch?

Dark Navel
05-04-2008, 07:33 AM
After researchg these DPDT switches there aren't a multitude of different ones out there. I am thinking of keeping a DPDT slider but I will do what I have seen others do, glue a knurled nut on the top of it. Well not really on top but drill a hole that will accept the stem of the DPDT slider then glue it/JB Weld it on.

This brings up another question. Anyone know where to get different knurled nuts? Anodized would be great then you could match em to the look of your saber.

Thoughts?

xl97
05-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Id say your best best (if going this route) would be to grab some COMPUTER CASE thumb screws.. all colors..

cut the threaded stem off.. and drill a little hole the size of the slide switch stem.. all good. :)

probably need a drill press to do it nice.. but a hand drill may work..

(get a drill press....I got mine for $30 bucks... and a bandsaw for $40.. best investments yet) :)

Dark Navel
05-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Good idea abouth the computer case screws but if you cut them then you will see the color of the metal from underneath. You may have to stare to see it but since I'm so anal about these things I would love to find something already anodized. (Like the Qui Gon knurled nut that are seen glued on the Parks Obi sabers)

xl97
05-04-2008, 08:55 AM
the only part not colored (bare metal) would be the 'hole' you drill..

but since the stem of the slider will be in it.. you wont even see it...

the only part of the thumbscrew you would cut is the 'screw/stem' part.. and since you are drilling that anyways.. there would be no omre 'bare' metal than the hole you put the stem in. :)

maybe take a look at some other buttons and see if you can cannibalize it to make it work..

(I know this is plastic, but you get the idea)

take this switch:

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2160449w345.jpg

cut off the top head/button portion.. Im assuming its hollow..if not I drill it a little to hollow it out some.

that can fit on top of my slide switch... I could put a little slit in a small piece of metal, and since this head has that 'mushroomed' cap on top.. it would slide nice with the cap through the slit going on top of the slide switch

just suggestion if your knurbled knob doest work out.

also (and this may sound funny).. but take a peek at your local cologne/perfume section.. they usually waste money on decorative bottles.. (and their tops/caps)..

sometimes you can find small bottles with cool colored/chromed out shaped caps that you can throw some glue in. :)

I also keep my eye open for candy boxs/containers sometimes those metals tins can be used for other stuff.. (controls boxs in clamps..etc..especially if they are hinged.. like altoids containers sometimes) ;)

eastern57
05-04-2008, 11:29 AM
*subtly whispers over xl97's shoulder* "he can be as anal as he wants... he made the Dooku"

xl97
05-04-2008, 01:06 PM
I know he made the Dooku.. ;)

which was awesome... no doubt..

Im just saying 'I' dont see how any metal color would be visible.. so I was just trying me more clear.

I would never try to convince or change anyones mind.. I just suggest or give ideas..

everyone is going to build their saber how they want/need (which is how it should be)