PDA

View Full Version : Force lightsaber activation with RFID

bazuka
02-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I did a search just in case I hadn't seen something like this posted. Anyway, here's my idea.

There seem to be a lot of people getting RFID implants recently, and I thought for a second about alternative uses for these besides opening doors/car doors/whatever else. The first thing that came to mind was activating a lightsaber when your hand is close enough to it. It'd require another power switch so your lightsaber doesn't turn on every time you walk past it, but I think it'd be a cool addition. Has anybody tried this? It would definitely be less intrusive to do a proof of concept with the transmitter in a watch or wristband of some type.

What do you guys think?

dbraxton9
02-22-2006, 07:50 AM
how about one that activates with The Clapper?

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

xwingband
02-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Over on ASAP a few of the trek oriented guys wanted to use the magnetic switches they used on the tricorders to activate a saber without a button. As far as I know no one did it though...

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

bazuka
02-22-2006, 09:56 AM
They also have capacitive touch switches like used in those lamps you just have to touch to turn on. That would be cool too.

GrimaOllak
02-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Actually, I think bazuka's idea is much more practical, and probably less expensive. However, it's an avenue that I, myself, will probably never go down, simply due to the problems that will occur in trying to wire it all up. I get a headache just dealing with the current wiring techniques, let alone new ones.

Best of luck to you folks!

Madcow
02-22-2006, 12:31 PM
I did some experimenting with touch switch technology. But I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted it to. Maybe some of you with a better grasp of elecronics can give it a whirl. Here's the specs for the chip I purchased - you can also buy a small experimentation board from these people (Quantam Reesearch).

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Quantum%20Research/Webdata/QT110,%20QT110H%20(QProx).pdf

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

BenReilly
02-22-2006, 12:37 PM
linky no worky....

GFORCE13
02-22-2006, 01:00 PM
What a cool idea, i could have used this on my current design instead of trying to make a Micro Dpdt Switch merge(skip headache see Migrain) with a Graflex Pushbutton( it could have just been for show).

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

Madcow
02-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Apologies,
Try this link...

http://www.qprox.com/products/qtouch.php

MC

james3
02-22-2006, 02:17 PM
What kind of issues did you have? I installed somthing like this for building controls a few years ago and I remember it was pretty neat stuff. I was thinking about building my first el-saber with a switch like this since my pole lamp in the livingroom has a 3-way touch sensor in it, and everytime I turn it on I think hmmm.

bazuka
02-22-2006, 02:56 PM
My only concern is that I can't find an RFID reader small enough with a longer read distance than 25cm. I like to toss my lightsabers around when I'm playing with them, and I don't think 12" is enough. I could always make a delay circuit for turning it off so I have a few seconds that I can hold it further than that.

Madcow
02-22-2006, 02:56 PM
I had a hard time finding the right transistor. The chip can't handle the power that the LED needs, so you need to use a transistor as a kind of relay.

MC

E-ronin
02-22-2006, 06:52 PM
You could have a touch sensor activate a holding circuit(relay) then a normally closed momentary switch to turn it off. Could have cool uses and the you would not have to stay in contact with touch sensor. It would be great for a Windu style handle.

Ed

Cyambin
02-22-2006, 07:14 PM
You're starting to sound like you're making a Force-Touch(tm) actvation switch system from Parks sabers [:)]

bazuka
02-23-2006, 01:32 AM
I prefer "force untouched"... to avoid legal issues. How does theirs work? I'm not familiar with their stuff.

I believe I'm going to take the plunge and try this out in my first saber.

james3
02-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Triggering through a relay is what I was going to say as well. E-ronin beat me to it, I may go ahead and order one and play with a few combinations.

bazuka
02-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Been looking around... Parallax, the people who make the BASIC Stamp module, have an RFID reader board out. Only downside is that the board is 2.5" by 2.9". It would be rad if they had a board that was small enough, and was able to use an external antenna. Back to looking, I suppose.

Cyambin
02-25-2006, 04:12 PM
You know it's funny because I got one of Parks's only designs that doesn't use the Force Touch(tm) system. I dunno how it works but all you gotta do is put your finger on the thing for a second and it turns on, but I hear that it sometimes turns off too easily and that really annoys some people. Frankly the button switch on mine annoys me enough so you're probably screwed if you get a Parks(lol I shouldn't say that, they do good work).

virus692
02-28-2006, 06:49 PM
I found some cool info on RFID at:
http://www.rfidtoys.net

I don't know much about RFID but I know it has some creepy apps...

VIrus 692-
Life Liberty and the prusuit of insainaity

bazuka
03-01-2006, 02:32 AM
Yeah, I saw that site, and actually bought Amal's book through Amazon a couple days ago to get some ideas on how to make this all work.

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will.

bazuka
03-03-2006, 04:22 AM
Looks like I am going to abandon RFID for this project and go with a capacitive touch switch instead. The only RFID reader I can find that is small enough has an extremely short read range (1.5"-2") with the tags I need to use.

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will.

Ryma Mara
03-31-2007, 12:36 AM
Ok I know this topic is old as hell but iam cureious.

did anyone ever get the idea to work?

I just seen this on that pimp my ride show. what they did was used a magnetic switch. How big are thoes types of switches and would it be possable to use them.

stick a magnet in say a glove or a belt somewhere so when you pass it close by it turnes on.

not only would it make a sweet switch but also a safty tool. to where sence the magnet will only turn it on so it would make recharging safer so you know its not gonna accidently turn on and do god knows what happens to a saber thats being charged.

Novastar
04-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Ryma,

You might be mixing up a magnetic switch idea with RFID... but both are possible.

As to RFID... this is very possible, although I don't know what kind of size saber you'd need in order to fit all of the components wanted.

RFID is a simple concept. In the "air", there is a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of energy/voltage floating around freely out there. It harnesses that energy just long enough to transmit a signal a VERY short distance. You can send a string (array) of characters... in other words, a signal.

A friend of mine who began a company in the SJ/SF bay area called "TechShop" (who also worked on MythBusters) explained to me how you could even conceivably install a small "chip" or pellet into whatever you like--a glove, a ring, or whatever, and have an object pick up the signal.

This is similar to "card scan" facilities where you pass your card "nearby" to the scanner--and it reads you in. You don't need a laser scanner or anything else.

HOWEVER, you would indeed need to have a driver card that can "ignore" the RFID signal info after turning the saber on in order to drive the saber for light, sound, etc. You know--avoid inadvertent radio noise.

Finally--I've no idea how you would want to configure the saber to go off... would it:

1. Shut off when you drop it?
2. Shut off with a separate button altogether?
3. Whatever else you can think of.

If you released your hand from your saber more than about seven inches--it would probably shut off. That might not be bad at all though.

bazuka
05-02-2007, 01:11 PM
It never got past the planning stage, and I still haven't completed my saber.