PDA

View Full Version : Interactive Saber Builder

Pages : [1] 2

xl97
04-24-2008, 03:01 PM
ok..so a while back I had mentioned about working on an interactive saber builder..

something to play with for fun..
keep track of parts list
keep track of price/totals maybe

I started to work on it a little bit today.. taking the base framework from another project I did..

before I go further..

was wondering if there are any other parts/sections that I missed or you think SHOULD be there/separated?

Im also open to graphics.. its not very space/star wars/tech liek at the moment.. just kind of clean & minimal

things like:

a BG image for the NAV link could be skinned/themed
frames/bezels around the section parts (sub nav at bottom) could be changed
the BG can be swapped/themed
the scrolling buttons/arrows..

Im hoping I can some more done on it soon...once done and the logic laid out.. adding new images and details will as easy as adding it to a text (XML) file. :)

http://dmstudios.net/demos/saberBuilder/

as I see it now.. when you click one of the parts form the bottom options..

I will either attach a draggable part to the stage for you to place.. or it will be attached to your mouse when you click on the part for you to drag immediately..

(my only concerns is 'stacking/layering' (depth) order...) ??

feedback appreciated.

thanks

Hasid Lafre
04-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Well I tested it out and only the center sections show up and I cant place the part/s anywhere.

Strydur
04-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Looks good so far. Know of anyway to make it 3d viewable once the design is complete? If someone could figure that out I would be willing to pay for it.

SWAT Strachan
04-24-2008, 03:08 PM
You'll probably need either a larger workspace, or a scrollable window, I know for certain that my next saber hilt is going to be about 20" in length ;). Other than that though you have a good layout there. Perhaps you could have the sections menu slide in from the side when you move your mouse over it? It would free up more space on the screen for you.

Ram21
04-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Looks like a good design so far. I would think that clicking on a part should put it on the drawing board. Then you could move the part around that way.

xl97
04-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Its not very far along.. but it will get there.. LOL

Yes the parts (images) will be on the stage and draggable once you pick it form the bottom.. (just havent gotten that far).. that parts (images) used for both the 'options' at the bottom, and the MAIN parts that will eventually get dragged around will only be as good as the images anyone can provide me...

so far I just been 'hacking' together images from the (Tim's) store.. (for the part/section options portion)

for the MAIN (left) nav/menu.. are there any other sections anyone thinks we should have?

also.. its takes some time to get images and crop them.. not hard.. just time consuming.. so I'll get to it when I can.. my first priority would is the 'engine/code' part.

it was going to be based on this:

www.digitialbikebuilder.com

but since its not really the same.. I had to re-code ALOT of it.. (ie: for motorcycles, you only get 1 frame, 1 tank, 1 rear fender....etc.. but for sabers, you can have 3 'mid-sections', 50-orings, and who knows what.) :)

Tim-

hi, nope.. sorry, Flash doesnt really 'do' 3D..

however we might be able to fake something, if someone can make a simple vector 3D model of each part.. in say Swift 3D or something.... and piece it together? Im reaching.. Id really have to look into it..

but I can add prices..etc..etc if you wanted.. (or you could..whatever.. you know what I mean) ;)

if you look at the bike builder DEMO, you can print out the build (might be disabled currently)

you can see all your chosen parts.. (print that out too I believe)

save your build..and load it back up later.. (no database needed) ;) SO NO EXTRA DB COSTS OR STRESS..

you can also get an estimate emailed to the owner of the app with all parts/prices and comments.. or extra..etc..

SWAT-

I could do a scrollable work space.. and the rule was just for visual appeal.. but I guess we COULD get a REAL 'ruler' and then make ALL parts/images used scaled by that standard? (up to you guys)

I think most sabers will HAVE to be built horizonatally just be default monitor design.. so more space horz is what we need....no?

also, if you look at the bike builder app... you see there is a LOCK parts option..if you check it.. you can move the whole build at once..

but if everyone hates the options be loaded at the bottom.. Im open I suppose.. LOL

(logo too I just copied a previous one I had done..and changedit.. also a 'plaque/sign' above the parts list image would be nice.. ) ;)

thhumbnail images shoudl be NO larger than hmm..63x63 or something.. so if anyone wants to make some.. ;)

I named them accodring.. hilt_1.jpg hilt_2.jpg ..... 2_extension.jpg

(.jpg, gif's & .png's are all acceptable).. ;)

nothing is better than a community effort.. so if there are some grahpics...extras..etc..etc whatever.. dont be afraid to post it..

Thanks

DARTH KALEL
04-24-2008, 07:08 PM
wow sounds awesome, what is the ETA on a final version? i've been using paint for awhile now but to be able to figure pricing and everything that would be even greater. I have a few images you might be able to use of some custom pieces and others I will try to post and see what you think. And the same with Hasid, I couldn't get the parts to stick and all I got was center sections.

Ram21
04-25-2008, 08:32 AM
however we might be able to fake something, if someone can make a simple vector 3D model of each part.. in say Swift 3D or something.... and piece it together? Im reaching.. Id really have to look into it..

We have a couple of people in the community that could probably vector the parts. I don't have that much experience in Blender 3d but I could try to work on something...

xl97
04-25-2008, 08:38 AM
you should let me look into it more before you waste any time to be honest..

Im sure I could display and play any 3D rotation of "A" part... but Im not quite sure how I would get all 3D parts to render/turn as one...

it would almost mean the saber choice would need to be rendered as a whole unit ya know?

maybe a 3D display that is rotatable in a preview panle or somethign when you choose a part? but the whole thing, again Im un sure of..

hopefully if I get some time today.. I'll try and work on getting anothr section done of emitters/blade holders

and maybe the pommels..

then I can start trying to get the duplicated & keep part count/price.. on the stage.

again any links to graphics or ideas you want incporated are helpful too.

Vecna
04-25-2008, 08:40 AM
good work there, this is awsome. Keep us all updated :D
Any idea as to when a fully working version may be released?

chase
04-25-2008, 08:40 AM
What would be cool- an option to paint the different parts.

xl97
04-25-2008, 08:59 AM
hmm... I miht be able to work in a 'tinting' feature.. to maybe replicate most of the powder coat colors...

nice option/add.. thanks

Feature Request List:

1.) part coloring/tinting
2.) pricing
3.) parts list

xl97
04-25-2008, 10:08 AM
OK.. I added a pommels, bladeholders & hilts/center section to the app..

what I need now are the images you want to be USED in the bigger are/display to actually drag and build your sabers.

is the general consensus to use the MHS image file that has been floating around here?

(also these images can be a side view of a piece too if you want to build it that way)

I just need a few images so I can start playing with getting them in there and interactive..

ArkaiHalon
04-25-2008, 10:23 AM
I'd suggest to use the bmp file i made up for the time being

Enolmano
04-25-2008, 10:52 AM
It doesn't work for me. Or, well the page loads and all that. But when I click on for example:
"Pommels" nothings happens.

This could be just because I'm a mac user.

xl97
04-25-2008, 11:16 AM
the ONLY thing ANYONE should see so far is:

1.) you click on a section/link from the MAIN (left) NAV/MENU, and those part options should load below.. (scrollable left & right..if there are more options that can be displayed in that area...8 max maybe?)

THATS IT! lol..

Im still working on it.. ;)

AH-

if thats the images everyone wants to use..thats fine.. I'll find the link somewhere and start trying to crop them out so they do not have ANY backgrounds..(transparent)

xl97
04-25-2008, 11:59 AM
is tis the latest/greatest image file to be cropping from?

http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/Render%20Parts%20v2.bmp

thanks

savyas
04-25-2008, 12:18 PM
It doesn't work for me. Or, well the page loads and all that. But when I click on for example:
"Pommels" nothings happens.

This could be just because I'm a mac user.

I'm having the same issue. firefox on mac.

ArkaiHalon
04-25-2008, 12:31 PM
is tis the latest/greatest image file to be cropping from?

http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/Render%20Parts%20v2.bmp

thanks

that one is out of date. Use this one.
http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/Renders/Render%20mkIII.bmp

the folder http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/Renders/
contains the "bling" file with shrouds and graflex buttons
as well as several versions of the powdercoating.

xl97
04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
ok..dang. I had already taken things form the link I posted..LOL

I hope what ive doen so far hasnt 'changed' (just BL's, hilts & pommels so far)

MAC USERS-

Sorry.. not sure.. I use FireFox on a PC.. (I havent tested on IE yet).. BUT I can say this.. the Flash movie IS NOT embedded correctly in the HTML page..

this SHOULD help anyone using IE, nd gets the prompt/nag of "Click TO Activate This ActiveX Control"...etc..

Are your Flash players up to date? (check browser plug-ins)..

and for those having problems you DO NOT SEE any parts load at the bottom.. correct?

General Question:

Im having troubles figuring out how the application should work.

Specifically the "layering/stacking" (depth) of each image or section.

Here are the TWO scenarios I have come up with..

1.) "FREE FOR ALL":

meaning there is no 'constraints' (per se`) one what 'level/layer/depth' ANY image (object) can be at.. and this will be controlled by clicking on it.. clicking on an image will immediately bring it to the TOP..

Pros: you can see where you are dragging & what object you are dragging as it will be ON TOP.. no matter how many images/pieces you have on the stage

Cons: If you working on a build/saber and want to move a 1.24 sink tube core, that has button, bladeholder/shroud, cover/sleeve & switches already placed.. the 1.25 sink tube you built on is NOW ontop..

2.) "Section Layering":
meaning, each section will have its own STATIC stacking oder/layer order (placement)

hilts/extensions always on layer 1
bladeholders always on layer 2
misc parts always on layer 3
covers/sleves always layer 4
screws/switches always on layer 5

etc..etc

Pros: gives us a more ordered building structure (for the application & usability)

Cons: takes away some imagination/creative choices I can imaging.
cant always count on what parts are to go where.. bling (o-rings for example) coudl go UNDER a cover/sleeve or bling (screws) could go over a cover/sleeve..

open to whatever you guys think.. just want to do it right the first time.. Im not one who like to go back and re-code.. adding patches or band-aids to pre-exsisting routines..

:)

thanks..

keep it coming guys.

xl97
04-25-2008, 01:03 PM
by the way, the BLING pic, shroud images are exactly what i was saying about having the same part but a differnt profile image of it (on its side), bot can be added and you can make a (horizontal) top & side view..

I will also use the RULER at the bottom and try to keep the same scale, so the parts and your ruler image still 'match'..

on a side note.. I would like to find/work on a way to 'color/tint' the parts in the application... instead of just re-doing the same image 6 times just different colors..

HOWEVER, for the tie being that might be what we need to do if you want 'colored options' in an early version/release..

Ram21
04-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Sorry.. not sure.. I use FireFox on a PC.. (I havent tested on IE yet).. BUT I can say this.. the Flash movie IS NOT embedded correctly in the HTML page..

Works in IE 7 on PC

1.) "FREE FOR ALL":
2.) "Section Layering":

What about a combination of both. I like the flexability of Free for all; but maybe you can click on the object and tell it to come to the front or not depending. Like in 'powerpoint' send object to front or back, maybe that would be the most flexable option.

xl97
04-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Thoughts on splitting up HILTS & EXTENSIONS?

I the reason I say is because we need more 'menu/nav' links to even some things out.. (balance the layout a little) looks a little bare! ;)

Ram21
04-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Thoughts on splitting up HILTS & EXTENSIONS?

Can't say that I care, if it works better from a design point, I would do it.

Strydur
04-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Get the mechanics working and then I can help with exact dimensions if needed. If nothing else this will be similar to the old MHS builder but nicer looking. Later on we could add in the 3d aspect. Its not hard to make the 3d assembly renders in solidworks which are then easily shared to others once you enter all the components. It would still be very time consuming to try and save every possible combination though.

Having prices and build sheets etc would be cool. I am sure it could be easily ported to add the items to the cart also.

Hasid Lafre
04-25-2008, 05:44 PM
It dosent work for me an dI have IE7.

DARTH KALEL
04-25-2008, 06:31 PM
same here I have IE7 as well PC it's just not letting me do anything, I am patient so no big deal, but it's real exciting.

xl97
04-25-2008, 08:47 PM
for those who are having problems viewing this can you please post the following:

OS
Browser & version
Flash Player version (or go to Adobe.com and update it takes all of 10 seconds)

When you say it doesnt 'let me do anything'.. can we be a little more descriptive here..

what do you SEE on the screen? anything? any graphics? do you see a LEFT side NAV?

can you click an LINK and have 'parts' displayed at the bottom?

do you get the 'click here to activate this control' prompt or yellow bar at top of browser in IE?

I can confirm it WORKS in:

XP PRO
FireFox
FireFox (Ie Tab render)
IE 6

I dont have3 IE 7 (wouldnt install it..yuk).. so I cant be of more help there..

I can however try to embed it the way it SHOUDL be..and see if this helps anyone.

embed code has been updated.. can you please check again for those having 'issues'

Hasid Lafre
04-25-2008, 09:24 PM
windows xp and ie 7, adobe is up to date last time I checked.

xl97
04-25-2008, 09:30 PM
still no go eh? have you had any windows updates lately??

I knwo both Adobe & Windows had updates that may pertain to this..

however I am unable to replicate the problems myself on my end.

You still never explained what it is you see or get? nothing ? a blank screen?

a nav (left) ?

does it highlight on rollover?

any parts loaded at the bottom??

Dark Helmet
04-25-2008, 09:31 PM
I use firefox as a religion,( and noscript, but ie tab does the trick) so no illness here, but dude, that is way beyond anything any of us could ask for...THANK YOU !!!! I will buy you a 616 board and send it to you! just pm me and i will get you one for helping us all out so much...
just work out the bugs, and it's yours!!

xl97
04-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Lets wait till things are finished.. ;) but I totally appreciate it..

Also Hasid-

Im confused.. in pst #2 you state:
"center sections show up"

but now nothing is working? Im lost?

there IS NOT MUCH working right now.. I DO NOT have any MAIN PARTS being loaded that you can drag around (as stated before) ;)

Im also un-sure on how to 'classify' things liek the CLAW mount.. in the store its the holder & 3 claws..LOL..

but in the images its one piece..LOL..

I guess somethings can/will be tweaked over time.. and somethings we'll just have to 'live with'. :D

Thank guys.. hopefully I'll get some time to work on it this weekend.. (but kids never rest do they?) LOL

Ram21
04-25-2008, 09:39 PM
In IE 7 on XP

I am able to click Center Sections, Blade Holders, and Pommels and see a listing at the bottom. If I hover over a picture I get the name of the item. I have not seen a dropdown at the top of the browser asking me to install anything.

Pictures below:

Hasid Lafre
04-25-2008, 09:41 PM
first pic in ram 21s post is all I get.

Ram21
04-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Right clicked and went to about adobe flash player 9...

You have version 9,0,115,0 installed

Hasid Lafre
04-25-2008, 10:34 PM
I got 8.9 something something something. do I need 9 or higher?

xl97
04-26-2008, 08:34 AM
If guys READ from the beginning.. you will know that it IS working for you guys..

SEVERAL times.. I have stated that THERE IS NOTHING COMPLETED SO FAR...

meaning when you click on any of the part coices from the BOTTOM NAV.,. nothign will happen..

THERE IS NOT PARTS DISPLAYED THAT CAN BE DRAGGED AROUND.

So (in fact) it IS working for you guys.. and I would go so far as to say it is working for everyone..if that IS what your getting.. as stated that IS what you should be getting.

As of last night.. I embeded the .swf correctly (for IE users).. and added in the pommels & bladeholder sections..

now that I have these 3 sections.. i can work on loading the MAIN parts to be dragged around and set wherever.

DaMaher
04-26-2008, 03:29 PM
oh...I feel stupid. :roll:
Great idea, let us know when it's done.

xl97
05-02-2008, 11:37 PM
I.S.B. has been updated (again)

let me know where you want this thing to go guys.. feedback is essential..

thanks

Dolan Amtar
05-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Very nice! Looking forward to the completed version.

Dark Helmet
05-02-2008, 11:58 PM
like I said, do this thing and you get a 616 board, drag and drop is nice, but really, I'm happy with it...

DARTH KALEL
05-03-2008, 12:00 AM
working alot better now and easy to set and move parts, can't wait till the finished version.

Strydur
05-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Looking cool. Any way to make them all center align horizontally? Some easier way to make them line up anyways.

DARTH KALEL
05-03-2008, 12:17 AM
yeah that would make it flawless, background needs to expand as well.

Tom Starkiller
05-03-2008, 03:28 AM
Any chance of useing the latest renderings? They look more metallic and are more acurate.

Also, when you get to it, powder coating would be cool to see.

CybKnight
05-03-2008, 06:05 AM
I have bookmarked the application and subscribed to this thread.

Good work, keep it coming.

sekrogue1985
05-03-2008, 06:17 AM
sure this has been said but add more parts aka the choke section and possible those luke/obi grips too. oh and definitely add switch hole option cause sometimes one may not want to use the 7inch sections that have the premade holes. but yes looking excellent and really fun to mess around with

xl97
05-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Hey guys..thanks.. some of it has been hard.. some just LONG & TIDEIOUS..lol

That being said.. I'll try to address some of the latest questions/comments

Tim-

I probably could work somethign out.. but heres the 'problems/obstacles' with that.
a.) when you drop a part.. I 'can' have it go to a certain set position/place but where? what if you have two sabers your building on the stage a top & side view for example?

b.) when you drop a part and it TOUCHES another part...I could have it align with that part so they are vertically on the same centered line.. (this will take away any custom placement of parts if people like to move stuff around for looks)

Darh Kalel-

huh? can you explain what youi mean by 'expaning background'? Ther will be no expanding on/in this application.. the stage is pretty much what you get to design stuff.

you 'can' lock the saber/build and move ALL parts on the stage as one unit.. if you need more room to view your build...

but Im not really what you mean.

StarKiller-
I can use any images that are availble.. I just happened to use the original link of rendered parts I could find... ANYONE can make & submit (send me) part images if they like..

If you have phothsop.. take your renfdering image and cut crop out EACH picture using the magic wand tool to crop out any/all white areas.. and save that INDIVIDUAL PART as a .gif or .png... MAKE SURE IT HAS A TRANSPARENT BACKGOURND for the image.. (this is important)

It isnt very hard..just long & time consuming..

I took the rendering image and cut out each bladholder image and pasted into its OWN image.. I then used the magic wand to crop out/delete the white background and saved the image.

bladeholder_1.png
bladeholder_2.png
bladeholder_3.png..

then I did the extensions:
2in_extension.png
3in_extension.png
4in_extension.png..

etc..etc..

keep all images the SAME SIZE AS THEY ARE IN THE RENDERING.. as I have updated the ruler/legend to match that.

on a side note.. each MAIN part also needs amtching thumbnai image to go with it..

bladeholder_1.jpg
bladeholder_2.jpg
bladeholder_3.jpg..
etc..etc.

I went to the store, copy & paste each part.. cropped out the part.. and made the WHOLE thumbnail image 63 x 63 pixels..

so if anyone wants to crop out some thumbnails too.. it will help.

the good thing about this application, is that it is VERY robust & scaleable.. meaning it is easy to update...(just add the image names & description to an XML file.. and the application will do the rest.. no need to knwo how to code or have Flash..

this also helps for updaing and editing images on the fly..

So you can do all the black parts if you like.. just name them consistently.. DO NO use spaces in the image names... and keep a uniform naming convention.

sekrogue1985 - well your going to get whatever options there are images for.

I did however add a CUSTOM section/link, and I think will be for pieces that USERS/MEMBERS submit to be used in builds.... but arent really parts Tim has in stock.. (but can be made for custom fees of course)

that being said.. Im sure over time.. the parts will mature and vary...

over all adding new images & sections is what I have spent most time on to make it VERY easy to update & control..

ok.. that being said.. lets talk abotu the FUTURE of this thing?

What other stuff would anyone like to see? (outside of specific parts/colors) ;)

1.) auto align/center (Tim)

?? anything else? Not sure if Im just beat ..but Im running out of ideas here..LOL

again.. ANYONE who has some time.. can CROP & SAVE & SEND me part images.. keep all parts grouped together and in seperated folders (bladholders go in bladeholder folder.. pommels in pommel folder..etc)

I think I have pommels, hilts, extensions, & bladeholders all done..

Thanks

Er Dan Gill
05-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Hey xl97,
Arkai Halon's website is here (http://www.k-squared.com/). His renders are the best I've seen.

Strydur
05-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Take your time and dont wear yourself out. If people dont want to help with the pics etc then they can just wait until you get it done. Dont let yourself feel pressured to make everyone happy as it never happens.

Thanks for taking this on as a lot of people miss the old MHS builder.

xl97
05-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Hey Tim-

yeah no problem.. I was just saying.. if they want this or that image.. THEY can help get that part done faster... ther other stuff actually takes me (code) ;)

but thumbnail images/sections & main image parts should be all set-to go.... just need the actuall images..LOL (slowly but surely they'll get there) :)

on a side note.. if anyone notices any bugs.. please report them.

(example I noticed one on the tool-tip's for the thumbnails.. if you click and drag OFF a thumbnail it doesnt disappear.. I'll need to address that) ;)

Im also at a loss for what to do about the claw? keep it one unit? break into the 3 claw HOLDER/bracket & claws?... (or both?) Im leaning towards both.. because "I" actually use the 3 claw bracket without any claws.. just litle things I suppose that will clear themselves up after usage.. :)

ArkaiHalon
05-03-2008, 07:03 PM
I just wanna say this thing is saaaaaaaaawwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

xl97
05-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks..

Using your images saved a TON of time to be sure.. :)

The cool thing is we can have a section where we just make our own images/parts to be used for 'visualizing'... and then we can have a point of reference for Tim if you want to have it custom made.. :)

always nice & easier to make an image..throw it in the Saber Builder and peep what it will look like once 'on' (in place).. :)

Im really looking forward to adding many of the covers/sleeves Ive made. :)

I'll be sure to add you in the 'credts' for the images used. :)

eastern57
05-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I just played with the updated page... that's awesome, well done! It will be very handy. Although, I have to admit, even with the old MHS builder, I would still end up buying the parts - just to see what it would look like it person - and it was still a little different... maybe because it was real and in my hand... regardless, from my perspective, I don't think this will slow my spending... damn you... and your silly, seductive, saber-making software...

grayven
05-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I just too got play around alittle, Great work. Only thing I can suggest would be to have them snap together.

Grayven

Lord Maul
05-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Daaang. Great work dude! I like this setup way more than the old MHS builder. It's easier to use. This is SO helpful! Mad props.

CybKnight
05-04-2008, 03:35 AM
In the end, you should also perhaps have a function to hide/unhide the selector menu.

xl97
05-04-2008, 07:11 AM
?? huh?

Are you referring to the MAIN (left) nav/menu?

CybKnight
05-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Uhm, yes. Should be possible to, hide/ unhide this menu.
Not so important you need to do it right away.
You have to remember that your ruler start under this menu. So if you want
accurate measurements (without thinking), you should be able to place parts from 0inch and up. It was just a suggestion.

Vazan Maceu
05-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Iīve been playin a little with it... Itīs very good up to now, a very useful tool, just work on it at your own pace and itīll end up being THE REFERENCE TOOL for us saberholics ;)

xl97
05-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Uhm, yes. Should be possible to, hide/ unhide this menu.
Not so important you need to do it right away.
You have to remember that your ruler start under this menu. So if you want
accurate measurements (without thinking), you should be able to place parts from 0inch and up. It was just a suggestion.

Yes I know its 'possible' to do..

I was asking for clarification, since I didnt fully understand your comment.

Ram21
05-04-2008, 06:08 PM
This looks really good so far!

The only bug I have found so far you have mentioned. The sticking tag if you drag the object.

Cool features that have been listed that I would like to see as well:

The ruler should be able to move or something like that.

Snapping parts, get close to an end and the part should snap to it, would probably be similar to Tim's centering idea.

Things that have been mentioned before is the coloring of a part like powder coating.

Think that is all so far.

xl97
05-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Update:

Here is a saber I just built using the I.S.B application:

http://dmstudios.net/misc/saber_1.jpg

(not too bad) :)

over time it will get better..

if anyone wants to submit or suggest parts.. MAKE SURE YOU CREATE A:

1.) a thumbnail version of it (real life photo of part) 63 x 63 pixels
2.) a 'rendered', images of the part made in PAINT or whatever graphic application you prefer.. look at existing parts & use ruler as guide when creating.

The 'snap-to' request.. I was all for it.. and going to do it on my next 'session' with this thing.. but how will that work for example in the image above? 1 claw? 1 thumbscrew? things that ARENT centered?

the FLIP PART option is going bye-bye.. however it will be replaced with a ROTATE PART button that will do 90 degree rotations on a part..

this will eliminate me having to have two CLAW thumbnails (for example) 1 for the top or bottom view.. same thing with switches.. just one part/thumbnail combo.. you can rotateit to be on top or bottom.. or on the pommel (end) if you like.. cuts down on images & redundant thumbnails/parts.

Thanks for the feedback..

I think I might start an official I.S.B. request thread.. to keep it clean and easy for me to follow/implement.

Er Dan Gill
05-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Cool, every time you post an update, I go back and try it out.
It just keeps getting better and better.
Good work xl http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/images/smilies/thumb.gif

eastern57
05-04-2008, 10:25 PM
In the immortal word of Doctor Emmett Brown: "IT WORKS!! IT WORKS!!....88 miles per hour..." wait, too far.... still .... IT WORKS!!!

Hearty slap on the back, xl97!!

btw, it is ex el ninty-seven, right? not ex one ninty-seven?

my saber:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/MHS%20Hilt/saber1.jpg

xl97
05-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys.. glad you liked it...

Will sure help visuallizing any/all saber ideas.. (plus helping you get parts from TCSS faster, since you'll know what it will look like) ;)

If Im missing a prt.. or somethign is labeled in-correctly.. I'll need your help to inform me..

I know the tool-tips probabnly need to be more accurate.. (instead of screw_1..etc)

and yes its XL97

valeon
05-06-2008, 01:09 AM
It's awesome to see my MPP clamp bmp being used in the maker, I'm glad everyone likes it :D

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-06-2008, 03:49 AM
This is great...much easier than doing it in Paint...thanks very much!

xl97
05-06-2008, 05:53 AM
probably gonnabe re-colored...

looks alittle 'blueish'.. as well as the BLACK o-rings.. :)

grayven
05-06-2008, 06:58 AM
First let me say again, Great job, It's really come out very nice.

The 'snap-to' request.. I was all for it.. and going to do it on my next 'session' with this thing.. but how will that work for example in the image above? 1 claw? 1 thumbscrew? things that ARENT centered?

How about a button to turn snap On and Off? That way you can use it to put your saber together then turn it off to add the off center things.

Grayven

xl97
05-06-2008, 07:41 AM
that might be a possible solution....

Im sure it will take a day of coding & debugging to the snap-to alignment working correctly.. adding in another 'toggle' switch of: Snap On/Off should be to hard to implement once the snap-to is working.

I was thinking that once you drop your part on the stage, I could add keyboard controls so you coudl tap the up/down/left/right arrows to 'fine tune' placement..and that would help in the mean time??

if I get some time to slack off at work today..

I'll be doing the following:

adding ROTATE PART +/- button(s)
adding CLEAR STAGE/ALL button
adding keyboard (arrow keys) input for fine placement

AH, valeon, grayven, eastern... if you guys want to open up PAINT and make some parts that are missing.. that would be helpful.

I know Tim has added several parts (red thumbscrew..etc) to the store that we DO NOT have PAINT renders/images for..

I also will be adding some covers/sleeves for people to use as overlays..

again..these are either ideas/copies of covers I have seen cusot made or made from sink tube...not stuff you can purchase from the store without custom work. :)

I added many different lengths of 45 degree cut tubes, 30 degree cut tubes, graphlex style tubes... I believe most or solid sleeves.. or maybe just one long cut out.. but more will be coming..

And thanks 'DH' for the 616 board.. I know I'll sure use it. :) or any parts for that matter... LOL

glad you guys appreciate the work.

ArkaiHalon
05-06-2008, 08:37 AM
on behalf of all saber nerds everywher. Thank you.

xl97
05-06-2008, 09:04 AM
we need more PAINT renders.. :)

red buttons.. any parts were missing..

also if you want to make parts using PAINT, that arent MHS but you had a real image of.. say someone has ap rt on their saber you liked... make a version of it in PAINT.. and snag the real pic for the thumbnail.

ore options the better.. gets the ideas flowing.. plus more parts can only lead to more custom work being done.. :) $$(more money)$$

Angelus Lupus
05-06-2008, 09:27 AM
The 'clear all' button was the only real suggestion I was going to make, unless you want to add the option for the powdercoat colours.
Perhaps there should be a wish-list for parts that aren't on the current render?

xl97
05-06-2008, 09:40 AM
I was thinking of making a new thread for PART & OPTION REQUESTS..

the clear butotn is complete (not live yet.. in about 30 minutes it will be)

Powder coating colors are nothing more than MORE images... so if you want some powerder coated parts.. crop some out..

AH make a few versions: black, copper..bubble gum (I guess) LOL..

and I'll add it to the parts options..

it would be even EASIER if say you wanted a BLACK choke point..

follow these steps:

1.) go to AH's renders and find the BLACK images..
2.) cut out the part you want, this means using the magic wand in Photohsop (or whatever tool of yoru choice) and DELETING THE WHITE BACK of that part
3.) save that part as a .gif or .png with TRANSPARENT BACKGROUND
4.) if you have seen someone, anyone post a picture/image of their (any) saber with this part in BLACK (or whatever color your interested in doing) and send that along as well.

I will then take the images.. make a thumbnail and take the main renders part you cropped out and upload to my server so the I.S.B. will be able to use them as options in your builds..

so colored parts are 'there' I just need a thumbnail image & the rendered part made in PAINT.. (most are already done.. just cut it out)

xl97
05-06-2008, 12:03 PM
update:

http://dmstudios.net/misc/interface-2.jpg

rotate part (a more flexible 'flip part' update)..[I guess]
clear stage

added keyboard support for arrow key movement of selected (focus) part.

couple builds I made above..

DARTH KALEL
05-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Utterlly amazing I love it!!! I just tried it out again and it's come a long way in a quick time, great work.

Angelus Lupus
05-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Rotate is usefull, but it can make the shading look wrong, where the shadow is at the bottom for one piece but at the top for the next. I suggest either put flip back or perhaps have flip horizontal and flip vertical as options instead of rotate.
That could work, because I don't see many people needing the pieces at 90 degrees to the rest.

xl97
05-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks.. Ive been busting ass on it sorta.. been kind of 'addicting'... lately Ive been playing with it more instead of devleoping on it..LOL.. but I guess if I dont use it.. I wont see any bugs or ways ot improve it.. (plus Ive had incentive.. people have offered me parts to work on it/finish it..) ;)

the price list is.. well something Tim would have to be in charge of , or comment. or contact me....or something.. I could possibly scavange some prices out of it the first time around....etc.. but knowing if the part is in stock and what CURRENT prices could be...is,.... well something for a later date I guess. (who knows) not that its HARD to do things.. it just takes time & commitment to update things like this.. (and jeez, who gonna make all the custom parts you guys need fomr using this thing?) :)

A parts list/review list of all the parts you have on the stage is for sure coming..

as far as custom colors..

well I know there are copper & black that I can take cut outs of.. (and so can you or anybody and email them or do a ton of them and .zip them up! even ) ;)

Its doubtfuly I'll be doing the ....umm.. bubble gum and blue parts ANY time soon.. LOL

also the problem with that IS.. and I guess its to the community here to give feedback on how they want it done..

but I was basically only adding a a part/option to this thing IF there was a REAL LIFE pic of the part to be displayed for a thumbnail.. so we can get a look at a real part sorta...

now adding the black or copper version means we'd need pics either on builtsabers (that I would crop/mask out for just the colored part/portion) or stand alone that have been powder coated/painted..

"OR".....

you ("I") could just have it in the ROLLOVER TOOL-TIP portion that this is a black (colored) piece.. even though the thumbnail image will physically look like the thumbnail next to it (the regular piece/pic in the store)

either way you guys will have to decide and there will be a little 'give/understanding' on the memebers (users) end...

if you more options to drag and play with... thre has to be real thumbsnails of the part (which may hold up the process of parts getting in there to play with)..

or the thumbnails will have to be read correctly as the thumbnail images themselves will be mis-leading..

cheers.

funny.. I made a saber exaclty like Jay-Gon's brass 'numbers'.... (since the 30 degree cut sleeves are in there and an obi'ish BL... was the first thing that jump to my mind)..

I cant even imagine the combinations that can be made with more images.. I already think ther have been several made/posted that are different.. or based a little on others sketchs/ideas.. (ie: Hasid's inverted vader shroud)..

anyways.. upon playing a little more.. I think there "MAY" be a need to add a 'vertical flip' button/control... to maximize all possible combinations?

thanks for playing guys.. (man if this thing gets popular.. I may need to host it elsewhere...instead of my personal little playground site) LOL

xl97
05-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Rotate is usefull, but it can make the shading look wrong, where the shadow is at the bottom for one piece but at the top for the next. I suggest either put flip back or perhaps have flip horizontal and flip vertical as options instead of rotate.
That could work, because I don't see many people needing the pieces at 90 degrees to the rest.

the shading/reflection is just something everyone will have to live with.. UNLESS, someone (not me) wants to go back and make renders of all the parts in different directions....

flipping (instead of rotating) for the horizontal would be better as you suggest.. but flipping for vertical would still give you the same scenario you comment on, unfortunately... also.. the 'rotate 90 degree' only helps if you want to maybe mount a switch on the BOTTOM of your pommel or other custom placement I suppose..

so a FLIP horizontal is needed... I would to balance it out with some flip vert, flip horz,...then rotate should go? forget about placement of switches? would there be any other part that you may want to do that with? (not sure)

vortextwist
05-06-2008, 01:40 PM
very awesome man! You went way beyond the call of duty for this.

xl97
05-06-2008, 01:53 PM
glad you like it.. :)

post some pics of sabers you build.. also suggestions on who to make it better, friendly, more usefull are all welcomed...

supposed to mak eit EASIER for us to visualize how pieces parts may look once together, without having to pay before hand.. and also stream line our purchases to the TCSS store..

I 'could' have it so.. (if you notice when you click on a part when its on the stage.. ther is a little text field helping display/describe what part it is?).. that can be a link, that goes directly to the TCSS part in Tims store if we want?

are detailed link to the part in question if we wanted? I think Tim may use a freindly shopping cart of some type (probably open source)... and I know he uses PayPal..

so in theory, if Tims wants prices in this thing or wants extras.. it could dump all chosen parts to PayPal for a quick checkout.. :)

have to implement some sort of 'control manager' for parts on stage that ARE Tims and parts that are NOT of course.. since there are parts we use for ideas/display (vader shroud comes to mind for example) that Tim doesnt sell..

anyways.. for another day I suppose.. :P

Angelus Lupus
05-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Ah, I forgot about switches. Maybe we need rotate and flip vertical and horrizontal just to cover all options.

xl97
05-06-2008, 02:19 PM
yeah... but were runnign outta room up there..LOL.. I ont like the buttons anyways.. maybe a smaller foot print will help get it all in there??

xl97
05-06-2008, 04:15 PM
UPDATE:

getting toward the final revisions here gang (I hope) :P

fixed a few things.. tweaked the interface a little..

the biggest UPDATE to this revision is:

I finally added the much asked for (Tim asked..many eco'd).. he auto-align or "SNAP-TO" function.. it can be manually truned off for things like CLAMPS, BUTTONS.etc..etc that arent really images that can be placed on it "CENTER" (without tweaking the image to trick it into doing so)..but thats another matter.. :)

That being said..

Parts List
Flip up/down
Flip left/right
Rotate Part
Remove Part
Clear Stage

are all items/controls that need to be worked in somehow.. some we have.. but we 'need' all it looks like.. and we ne to mak it LOOK good and fit the layout.

than I think the ONLY thing left to do is build the database of images/options this thing has for us to play with.. :)

Thanks

eastern57
05-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Suggestions:

Instead of a "buy it now" option or something similar, perhaps it could be a "send to my basket" or "send to my wishlist" - in case the buyer wants to add internal parts, blades or electronics to the purchase.

Also, if you can attach prices to items, why couldn't you just "not" attach prices to pieces that aren't available in the store or out of stock?

However, that may raise the question of "sanctioned by TCSS"... it's a great tool for saber builders, but may not be entirely appropriate for a man trying to make his way in the universe... so to speak...

xl97
05-06-2008, 08:56 PM
I have no clue what Tim uses for his shopping cart software.... I can take the list of parts and pretty much do anything with it..send it here or there....whatever. Its how the data is handled (received) and stored that will be key on what ya'll can do with it later. :)

Your right.. for parts that the store DOES NOT carry.. there IS no price for it.. unless another customer builder offers it and wahts to advertise their parts in this thing ro something.. ther is no way for me to know a supplier & their prices.. (except of course Tim's store sorta).. :)

But that also brings up the question of STOCK.. how would I know how much of something is left?..or even available? That would depend either a.) someone updating a price/quantity list b.) getting access to some database/source file that has this information in it..

shopping cart & purchasing stuff maybe somethign in the far furture.. unless there is an easy way to send it over to Tim and he handles all the data somehow..

Im really not sure what else could be implemented outside of the few things already on the list..

part control additions/updates
parts list

I mentioned that the PART: DESCRIPTION could be alink to that part in the store.. but didnt much back so I guess it doesnt make the cut!?? LOL

Ive actually made some pretty cool stuff and got some cool ideas as well..

now the hardest part comes into play.. getting all the images of the millions of parts we all want in there to play with.. :)

eastern57
05-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Right! There's literally EIGHTY-BAJILLION different combinations of all those parts and that's just with what you have posted.

The way I see it, as long as it's a "tool" and not a "buying guide", then everyone should stay satisfied. In the quest to make things simpler and convenient, we sometimes lose sight of where the line is - or should be. You know? Just because you "can" does that mean you "should"? ...again, just playing Darth's Advocate...

Zero Unit
05-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Is there some way to save one's design as a picture, so that we can upload it to show others?

xl97
05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
hmm... I suppose I could work on that.. (its more of a PHP thing I believe to actually save out the image to a format..and flash just gets the bitmapdata)...anyways..

however, I dont have the space (nor the want) to save & host everyones picture of their saber.. even the junkie crummy ones noone ever uses in the end....etc..

maybe if there is a way to email that picture or somethign to someone in the end?

(then you'd have to supply an email address..etc)

and to be honest its not something Ive ever done before.. :) (just means I have to do it now eh?)..

what I had done before with the DigitalBikeBuilder application (which the saber builder is HEAVILY built upon its same engine) was if you wantedto save your build.. you got an ID number....

and you could come back to the application paste the ID number into a field and get you 'build' again.... this was alot smaller for me since I only saved the part name and its placement into an array into a text file...

however this did NOT let you post a link th eimage and just view it or get a render/image of it created for use outside the application.

xl97
05-07-2008, 01:20 PM
hi.. I would like to ask you guys some questions:

more of a bug tracker...

has the application been running smooth for you? or buggy/glitchy?

lately it has been running choppy for me.. but Im not sure if its because of the new changes (and I coded something sloppy)... or if its the internet at work? (which is crappy by itself)..

Im not sure anyone has seen them (or sees them).. but there should be a mini preloader type animation (spinning circle) where the thumbnail images load (each thumbnail SHOULD show it spinning until the image fully loads & displays)..

same thing for when each MAIN part is being loaded to the stage.. (should only happen for the FIRST image/part of the type..since the consecutive images are loaded from cache)

but I have gotten where some of the thumbnails didnt load.. (blank white options).. even though the MAIN part it suppose to reflect loads when clicked..

when I refresh it doesnt happen.. maybe another one.. its very random..

maybe its my web host/server??

Thanks for any feedback.

Zero Unit
05-07-2008, 02:55 PM
No problems here, I've built about 10 sabers, and not a single glitch thus far, everything is smooth.

xl97
05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
little update:

the text field (Part description) in the upper left corner that displays the part that you have selcted/chosen is NOW a link to the part on the mfg. (Tim) store..

This way you can see if the part is in stock if curious.. and you have a direct way to purchase the part in question.

controls & part list still to come... (just been beat lately) :)

Ive seen MANY great renders lately.. some of you shoudl submit some of your pieces to the I.S.B. app so others can play with these parts too.. (as gives Tim a visual if the part needs to be custom made) :)

Angelus Lupus
05-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Just one point: Do we need the grid in the background? For cutting an cropping it would be easier if the background was clear.

xl97
05-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Im unclear what you mean...??

What are you cutting & cropping? Im not sure why anything should be cut/cropped form the I.S.B.. thats sorta reverse. :)

people are making images/renders in PAINT (or whatever) that adibe by the ruler/measurement originally in place by ArkaiHalon and the first PAINT renders I used, and I have been trying to make a thumbnail image of the real part, and use the render submitted by whomever to load into the I.S.B. :)

someone just did a bunch of 'saga saber' renders... if those were/are the same lenghts as the ruler/measurements.. Id like to use those.. that would add a ton of extra parts to be played with...

update:
crap I dont think they are.. :( (I just checked using the TCSS ruler/render stadard)

unless that maverick hilt is SUPPOSED to be 15inches long? anyone know?

also the grid will be updated to reflect the ruler lines more accurately.. the grid was in place before we had a ruler there...

hell take a vote..if the majority want the grid lines out.. I'll take 'em out..

eastern57
05-14-2008, 09:14 AM
I think what he means is maybe have a checkbox like the "snap-to" to turn on/off grid lines.

When I save a saber, I'll print screen and paste it in paint, then just crop the hilt out and paste it in a new page. It ends up looking like this:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/MHS%20Hilt/MHSbuild.jpg

not that it's bad - it's paint, so if I wasn't lazy I could erase the grid lines... just trying to clear it up.

xl97
05-14-2008, 09:23 AM
ahh.. I see.. you mean for saving your 'BUILD' form the I.S.B. app...!??

now I understand. :)

well I was/am planning on implementing a feature to have your saber/hilt/build emailed to you (without grid lines) just a .jpg, .hif or .png..

a .jpg WILL have a white background on it..

a .gif or .png can have a transparent background on it if prefered?

and where is: "ArkaiHalon" at?? :) We need soem new parts made sir! more buttons, switches.. covers/sleeves, ..

plus anyone who wants to make some CUSTOM pieces for others to work with..

I know are plenty of people who have been plaing with PAIN and saber renders..

come out, come out,.. whereever you are!! :)

eastern57
05-14-2008, 09:37 AM
this is what I sent to Tim to get this:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/MHS%20Hilt/customemitter2.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/MHS%20Hilt/hiltver3full.jpg

use it if you want

xl97
05-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks Eastern...

I'll for sure use it.. (making a thumbnail of yoru piece now.. ) :P

is the rendered part the true size? (according to the I.S.B. ruler by chance?)

hmnm.. which also brings up a question.. do you think we should have dimensions available somehow/somewhere??

because if someone was interested in the TCSS: Eastern57 Customer Blade Holder Style #1, how would they know what the specs were.. ya know?

ArkaiHalon
05-14-2008, 11:42 AM
My apologies, I've been slammed at work, and was out of town last week for a funeral/party . I'm working on some new renders and will pop them up this weekend hopefully.

Tom Starkiller
05-14-2008, 11:53 AM
How about a "Blades" section, with the different colours, and maybe one that can have an RGB colour control, for people to adjust if they want to use white and filters?

xl97
05-14-2008, 01:07 PM
hmm..somehow a double post.. after other posts??

anyways..

Eastern57-

your BL has been added to the Custom Parts section.. at first I made it the regular aluminum grey.. but noticed that the NEW parts have that yellowy tint to them instead of a grey/brushed aluminum.. so I had to re-do it.. :)

AH-

good news.. I was just busting your balls a little.. :) but yeah if there are some renders you can do or have done.. send 'em on over. :)

hopefully there is a REAL life part image for it that can be used as a thumbnail.

Angelus Lupus
05-14-2008, 01:21 PM
I've been editing some of the 'saga' pictures so they match the renders in colour and scale. Got a couple of overlays and blade holders out of them. I'll let you know when I've finished them.

xl97
05-14-2008, 01:26 PM
that is very nice...thanks..

what are you using to create your images? Illustrator? or a 3D app and doing 2D output/renders?

I really like the ribbed pieces you use for the blacks..etc..

now I'll need to put in some time to crop out some images that have the colored parts to use for thumbnails.. LOL

eastern57
05-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Eastern57-

your BL has been added to the Custom Parts section.. at first I made it the regular aluminum grey.. but noticed that the NEW parts have that yellowy tint to them instead of a grey/brushed aluminum.. so I had to re-do it.. :)

Hey cool! It looks great! Thanks

xl97
05-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Do it look acrurate??

correct size/length?

eastern57
05-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Yes, it do. It look stop on. ;)

ArkaiHalon
05-21-2008, 07:21 PM
here's a couple of other tidbits i've done.
sorry I haven't done more, but I"m slammed at work, and weekends havebeen jam packed with honey do
http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/Renders/INTERACTIVEPARTS.bmp

Angelus Lupus
05-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Here's my offerings for custom pieces
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/AngelusLupus/Lupus-projects/custombuilder.jpg

xl97
05-22-2008, 08:29 AM
very nice guys.. I'll add them soon.. Im actually leaving for Vegas for a few days..

so it wont happen until AFTER I get back.. (early next week)

any ideas/thoughts on what we can use for a thumbnai limage for these? The default way has been to have a REAL LIFE picture of the custom part..then a render of it to be used in the build..

this obviously is a flawed approach somewhat.. so Im open to suggestions..

Also the saving/exporting your build/saber to a .jpg (or whatever) has been taking me forever.. its not very easy.. and Im having trouble (not sure if its on the FLASH side of things..where Im grabbing the pixel/bitmap data... or actually creating the image with PHP once I have pased the data to it..)

anyone work with Flash by chance? LOL

I think the covers/sleeves/overlays are going to be a HIT and will really add to custom builds (I have many I have done..just havent uploaded them for use yet)

xl97
06-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Interactive Saber Builder (I.S.B.) has been updated:

http://www.dmstudios.net/misc/ISB_RC1.jpg

Release Notes:

NEW controls to rotate and now flip part
Grid Update (matches ruler lines...visual update only)
NEW PARTS!! (special thanks to ArkaiHalon & Angelus Lupus for submitting custom parts)
ADDED PART COLOR SUPPORT!

- previously it was going to be that we had to have a thumbnail of the colored (PC/painted..etc)..as well as a render of that colored part made in paint (or whatever). I have (finally) implemented a color picker, so we can color our chosen parts to suit our needs. This coupled with the addition of more store parts being added and user submitted custom parts has led an infinite combo of parts/hilts/sabers to build.

above are two I whipped out without even trying.. just playing with the new colors and parts added.

Bugs:
I know there is a glitch with the 'tool-tips' still.. where you can drag or quickly rollOff the thumbnail and get the tool-tip stuck.

there are few of the new parts that look 'messed-up' not sure what it is.. i am experimenting with different image types and how they pan out.. I think any of the 'crappy' ones were .gifs' shrunk down & sharpened.. so they may have gotten 'jibbed' a little..:)

If anyone finds or see any bugs... images that are 'tweaked' let me know.

Future:

parts list still to come
email estimate/get quote... (whomever? Tim, yourself, another?)
save build, will let you save/export (download) a .gif or .png of your saber..

(thi h as been giving me HUGE trouble unfortunately.. and was put on the back burner.. but Im feeling motivated again..so maybe I'll get to it soon)

Again..if anyone wants to help, or submit parts/images.. feel free:

thumbnails need to be 63 x 63 pixels.. (look at the center (blue section) of the thumbnails in the app.. this is 63 x 63 pixels)

here is a generic background if you want one to paste your parts over:

http://www.dmstudios.net/misc/generic_background.jpg

for your FINAL part.. the part that will be dragged around and used in the build.

ths is the BASE/DEFAULT width (height) for the image.. this is your basic hilt/extension piece so any connections/ends need to be THAT SIZE. you can enlarge or tapper however you wish as long you understand that is you BASIC SIZE and use that for centering off of.

http://www.dmstudios.net/misc/5in_extension.png

a HUGE Thank You goes out to Dark Helmet as well for hooking me up with a 616 & an MR sound board as a 'reward' LOL..

We also have a new project in the works for he TCSS community..stay tuned.... (it will be a long while still) LOL

anyways.. as always..feedback welcomed & appreciated.

Flyerfye
06-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Absolutely fantastic. Every feature I could want in the builder, AND MORE. Thanks so much! Truly an amazing utility for those of us who aren't prone to messing around in image editing software. Or those of us who are just too lazy sometime. :D

xl97
06-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks..

glad you appreciate it.. it took a long time and many (many) hours to get it where it is now even.. hopefully this will help improve sales and saber availability for everyone... the more custom parts the better.

eastern57
06-19-2008, 04:08 PM
I didn't make all those custom parts... wish I had... you just got them mis-labeled.

Ram21
06-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Looks awesome! I was able to create my saber very quickly. I especially like the flip button so that the parts all look normal if you rotate one of them.

xl97
06-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I didn't make all those custom parts... wish I had... you just got them mis-labeled.

Very true...

I had caught (and corrected this) before I had posted.. however I must have forgot to upload the new XML file for the custom parts.

I had copied & pasted the line for your custom Blade Holder..and forgot to edit out the name/description to Arkai Halon

Ive made some pretty sick sabers with the custom blade holder and coloring them.

etc..etc

like these: :)

http://dmstudios.net/misc/saberMocks.jpg

damn... I find myself playing with it more and more.. and not actualy working on any code or parts for it! LOL Ive probably made 100 sabers already..LOL

the 4 I just posted on this page are pretty nice..

eastern57
06-19-2008, 06:56 PM
[EXPLETIVE DELETED] ...dude, talk about possibilities...

xl97
06-19-2008, 08:54 PM
[EXPLETIVE DELETED] ...dude, talk about possibilities...

I take it you like/approve? LOL

I really dig the bottom one I made in the first post on this page (the update post)

the last two were cool too.. Ive been making sabers for the last 30 minutes..LOL

MaverickJsmith
06-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Oh wow :shock: Just discovered the thread (more :shock:)

Wow this little program is nice xl 8)

Keep it up :D

Maverick 8)

TorLinWaDur
06-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Thanks for sharing this... wow.
awesome.

xl97
06-22-2008, 10:46 AM
NO problem guys.. Im just gla you all like it..and its appreciated.

Would stink if I spent all this time/work on this project..and everyone just thought is was 'meh'! LOL

the power here is

1.) easily be able to add/update parts without ANY knowledge need of programming, flash..special software. (open a text file..add the image name and a part desc.) the application will do the rest for you.

2.) lets the community tinker with paint or whatever image editing program of their choice..and submit custom, user designed parts for the community to share in their builds.

I think I finally have a very SOLID/STABLE build released, with some of the major features requested.

If there is are suggestion, feature requests, and bug reports.. PLEASE let me know.

as of now I think the last stuff to add is:

1.) saving your build to a .jpg/.gif/.png for you to save

2.) a parts list (not sure how this is going to work with the custom parts, that are NOT TCSS related.. or prices & sku numbers? not sure)

3.) send/email parts list (to yourself or maybe Tim?) to get a quote/estimate?

anythign else anyone might like to see?

things liek partially coloring an object probably just aint gonna hapen.. just an FYI before I see comments.. :)

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
06-22-2008, 11:01 AM
You da man! This is awesome!

xl97
06-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks Obi-Dar...

makes me happy that people actually like, enjoy & use it..

I know it helped me visualize some of my builds..

and with thew addition of the colorizing.. I think we actually have something 'worthy' for the community.. :)

xl97
06-27-2008, 02:06 PM
NEW VERSION OF SABER BUILDER:
http://www.dmstudios.net/demos/saberBuilder/

TWO major updates:

1.) IMAGE EXAPORT:
Highly requested feature or EXPORTING YOUR SABER BUILD TO A .JPG
has finally been resolved... PLEASE BE KIND with this feature.. it is NOT fully de-bugged.. and does each up bandwith and server resources... this IS still being hosted on my private domain..

sample export/image created from the I.S.B.
http://dmstudios.net/misc/sample_export.jpg

2.) PART LIST:
Part List summart panel has been added.. for now this gives you a break down of all the parts you have on the stage..and a total count..

things like SKU# or PRICE can be added.. but what about custom pieces? powder coating?..etc its hard to be very accurate I suppose..

I am hoping to tweak BOTH of these features to not only LOOK a little better.. but to be a little more interactive and give feedback of the save status..etc..

but for NOW they DO work and ARE functional..

PLEASE give feedback of bugs... or any requested features again.. (lost my main ilst)

loading times? glitches?

the SAVE thing is VERY touchy..but I hope I optimized well enough to get a decent render?? You guys let me know of the quality..

Im stoked I finally got that function working..it was a PAIN..and credit goes to a Mario Klingemann for it bitMap exporter class that I tweaked.

keep those new parts coming guys..

Arkai-

I play with your custom blade holders and pommel in almost every build I use..

Er-Dan-

you have PM's turned off I couldnt reply about your part submission

Thanks.

Tom Starkiller
06-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Awesome. Any chance of getting the new choke and different blade colours up?

ArkaiHalon
06-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Glad you like them, I've got a couple others I"m working on. Then gotta get tim to give me a quote.

And MAJOR kudos to you. I thought me doing the paint images was cool and helpful, you took that and went 15 flavors of awesome on it.

I can't send ya any cool parts, but on behalf of all saber nerds

THANK YOU for your hard work on giving us a tool to help our hobby.

xl97
06-27-2008, 03:11 PM
HAHAHA.. there was no condition that I made this in barter for parts, by any means.

A few memebers offered some old/extra/used parts as a token of appreciation.. and I gladly accepted. =) I mean I only had some Hasbro sound boards and 1 Joe jedi @ that time..

any parts help ya know! :) so used or not.. it was super cool.

and I "believe" there may be a major announcement for the Saber Builder in the future.... but we'll see.. :) it was mentioned in passing really.. and since then more stuff has been added/tested..etc..

Im actually very pleased with it as it stands.. it has a lot of cool features that Ive always wanted to play with.. and finally figured out or had a goal/projec tto work it into.

Its a completely expandable and scalable application with the end user having no need to know any CODE or even own Adobe Flash to edit/update. Simple edit a text file to add/edit a part or the navigation.

We just need more people to work on PAINT/PART renders... I need to go back and tweak all the covers.. as they have that little 'lip' on the edges.. (cant stand it) LOL

So has the image export been working for everyone? saving just fine?

any suggestions? bug reports?

there are two more "SPOTS" for options/buttons at the top I can do.. maybe email parts list to Tim? with place for you to type powdercaot/extra instructions?

Thank guys!!!!!! :)

Angelus Lupus
06-27-2008, 04:37 PM
OMG you included my parts! :D

xl97
06-27-2008, 04:42 PM

Yep.. they have been included for a little bit now..

I have used them in many hilts/renders of projects built using the I.S.B.

In my own geeky code/flash world.. Im very excited to have gotten the image exporter and the color picker working!!! they were HUGE obstacles for me..

anyone got some more ideas/suggestion on stuff to add!!

also.. make some more renders!! we need more!!

xl97
06-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Awesome. Any chance of getting the new choke and different blade colours up?

Sure Tom-

Make the new choke point from a PAINT render.. and I'll add it up..

I have been playing with the idea of diff. blade colors... (but it REALLY eats up resources when adding the blade to the image for exporting..

everyone different color blades? I'll make some variants.

Blue
R.Blue
Cyan
Red
Red-O
Green
Purple

about sum it up??

Darth Anubis
06-27-2008, 06:30 PM
hey I made some custom blade holders and pommels if I PM them to will you add them

xl97
06-27-2008, 06:34 PM
hey I made some custom blade holders and pommels if I PM them to will you add them

Hi Have you read all the threads and followed along with the requirements of making renders fore the I.S.B?

Jay-gon Jinn
06-27-2008, 08:05 PM
xl, the parts all look good! I was playing around with it, though, and noticed that the side-view push button switches like to snap right to the middle of the saber, istead of staying on the top edge of the hilt....I noticed the same thing with side-view CT knobs as well.

xl97
06-27-2008, 09:28 PM
HI Jay-Gon Jinn-

yes this is correct.. that is how the application functions.. members requested a 'snap to' feature to make aligning the parts 'easier/automatic', when I mentioned about certain parts that WOULDNT bet aligned by a common 'horizontal/center' line.. (screws, buttons, clamps..etc) the majority response was to be able to turn on-off he "SNAP-TO" feature.

You can toggle this by using the check box in the 'grey' Parts COntrol bar/section in the app. (upper right hand area)..

this is also where you can turn on/off the ability to 'lock' all your parts together..and drag your WHOLE build around the stage at the same time.

you can also user the keyboard arrow keys to move your parts around on the stage.

the part desc/title TEXT FIELD directly uner the logo/above navigation is also a HOTLINK directly to the part in the TCSS store if you need to check avilability, cost or dimensions..

If you have any feature suggestions... lets hear 'em... or if you think the current set-up is 'clunky' or not intuative (it obviously was as evidient about the snap-to toggle as it should have been then) Im always open for suggestions..

Thanks

Tenric Starkindler
06-27-2008, 10:38 PM
gotta say so far it looks exceptional!!

xl97
06-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks.. Im curious to see what builds you guys come up with using it...

and also any suggestions/additions of course..

Im pretty happy with it so far.. not sure if there is more to add yet or not..

I thought the navigation and usability were pretty straight forward/easy to figure out.. but maybe not?

whats your stance/experience?

Zero Unit
06-28-2008, 12:44 AM
So far, I like it. There are two things that I think it could use though: the viewing area could be lengthened for those of us who like longer hilts, and add more blade colors. Then, I'd say it's perfect. :cool:

Tom Starkiller
06-28-2008, 04:02 AM

:shock:

:lol:

X, I'll see what I can do. I'll also send you some of my "parts". :P

xl97
06-28-2008, 07:00 AM
So far, I like it. There are two things that I think it could use though: the viewing area could be lengthened for those of us who like longer hilts, and add more blade colors. Then, I'd say it's perfect. :cool:

hmm

this is the second time someone has requested more stage space for building their blades..

I mean Im totally open to doing whatever the community needs/requests... but let me throw my obstacles out to you..and we can move from there..

the problem here is:

Flash needs to be desinged with a certain stage size in mind:

example: 775 x 550 stage size

Now..I could re-design the whole thing to be BIGGER.. but then this cuts off any users with a smaller resolution that 1024x768 (ie: 800x600 users)

now, some alternate solutions:

1.) we can scale down the rules./mesurements we use..and hence re-size (down) all the parts to meet that unit of measurments.. (hence giving us more room).. maybe a 25in 'screen' stage?

2.) even if your saber goes UNDER the navigation.. when you export your image... it WILL grab the whole thing.. even if your build goes off the stage so to speak..

if you notice.. I put in the yellow blade in my build.. you never see the whole thing on the stage..its too long obviously..but when you EXPORT/CREATE an image from you build.. it will capture and create a bitMap/image with the whole thing in it..

I can add more blade colors.. I just havent gotten around to it but its coming.. :) new parts is an on-going thing..

but seems blade colors are a huge request..

xl97
06-28-2008, 07:02 AM
:shock:

:lol:

X, I'll see what I can do. I'll also send you some of my "parts". :P

umm...sure (X as in me..right xl97?...not X-wingband?)

anywho.. sure send me all the parts you guys want.. just be sure to read & follow the steps/rules to create images for the builder..

needs a smaller thumbnail and a larger (PAINT RENDERED) image for the actualy part that will dragged on the stage..

its not hard..its SUPER easy.. just start with a previous hilt or extension piece..and edit that as your base width..

use the supplied thumbnail background image to put the smaller piece on for the thumbnail..

Tom Starkiller
06-28-2008, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I meant you.

Do you want .bmp or .jpg ?

xl97
06-28-2008, 07:20 AM
for the thumbnail..it doesnt matter what format the image is in..

and really the application cant use/load any image formats (.gif, .jpg or .png)

but.. ;)

I suggest you ONLY use a .png or .gif for the MAIN part..

If you do NOT use one of thhose formats.. you will NOT have a transparent background.
as .jpg and other formats DO NOT SUPPRT TRANSPARENCY... and atucally only .png formats support an ALPHA channel..

which, in effect, you would be dragging around a part/piece that has a HUGE white background on it.. :)

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
06-28-2008, 10:18 AM
It looks awesome! Thanks again for all your hard work.

One little glitch I've noticed: The MPP clamp doesn't line up correctly to the rest of the saber when you have the Snap-to function on.

Other than that, it's great! Lots of fun.

xl97
06-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks.. yeah.. its not 'really' a glitch.. it acts as it should.. the clamp image isnt really balanced (per se`)

the activator box is on one side and hence make the absolute center line NOT be valid for what you visually see..however it does take the image and center align it on its horizontal center (does that make sense)

we could make the clamp image have just as much BLANK area/space on the top as the control box take up..hence balancing out the dimensions and making the snap-to feature work properly.

basically with snap-to ON.. it will take ALL images, grabs its HEIGHT.. divide it in HALF and use that as its CENTER POINT...

so I guess thats just another tip to keep in mind if anyone makes parts for it.. :)

Thanks.. I am really diggin' it.. and have played for many hours so far..LOL (outside of coding it) ;)

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
06-28-2008, 02:39 PM
That makes perfect sense. It's not a big deal. I just build the rest of the saber, then turn the snap function off when I want to add the clamp.

xl97
06-28-2008, 04:50 PM
yeah I sometimes forget to turn off the snap-to feature when adding themb screws, the clamp..or a claw or something..

just a quick toggle though...

another thing which can be annoying is the layering.. since the current/focus clip is always going to be brough to the top..

you can have your saber made and move an under piece 1 pixel..and BAM..its on top..over the sleeve, set screws, clamp..etc lol

but doesnt happen to often and its that hard to fix..

the only thing this is missing is a 3D render option.. (but that just aint gonna happen) LOL

Brackley
06-28-2008, 06:44 PM
I was going to suggest a parts list, but I just double-checked and there's already one there. This is great, but I get a feeling I'm going to be poor for a while. I've already designed about five sabres. :D

xl97
06-29-2008, 11:14 AM
haha,.. I gota admit.. ever since I added the image export.

Ive been spending more time looking att he stuff the community has been creating..

I hope no-one has created any PRIVATE build or anything.. (cause Ive seen them all)

oh..and for those of you just saving image of an O-ring or 1 blade holder..etc..etc

'please stop' (you obviously didnt read the note on the EXPORT IMAGE PANEL)

this does cause server strain,, and take up server space each IMAGE does amount to anywhere from a few kb to 100kb.. so dont be 'jerks' :) K?

Its an awesome feature.. and there for you to use in your footer, or send to Tim, (or whomever) to get a visual of what your custom build needs to look like..etc..etc

Thanks

Jedi-Loreen
06-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Once we save a saber design, how can we look at it again?

I just designed a saber for someone else, and I want him to be able to see it. I can't open it on my own computer, the way it was saved. :confused:

Oh yeah, and I couldn't figure out how to do different blade colors, either. :|

xl97
07-01-2008, 01:51 AM
well, there is currently only 1 blade choice.. but if you want you can try to tint/color it WHITE (and it will change it blue).. but for now I havent added any other blade choices..

and as for designing a saber and coming BACK to see/pick up where youleft off is NOT a feature of this... That was 86'd in option for being able to EXPORT yoru image to a .jpg

so you can build your saber... and hit SAVE.. it will then prompt you to save your build a s a.jpg on yoru desktop (or whereever)

are you saying this does NOT work for you? and why can you NOT view it the way it was saved? I do not understand?

Jedi-Loreen
07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I can't choose the file type that it's saved as, it only says "All files" when I hit Save and look at the drop down menu when it goes to save on my computer. It doesn't give me any options to save it as any other file types.

The only way I can save it in a viewable fashion for myself is to do a Print Screen then paste it to MS Paint, which I didn't think about when I was doing my first saber.

Maybe I should try it using a different Browser than AOL Explorer, I don't know.

xl97
07-01-2008, 09:45 PM
LMAO.. yes.. try using a 'real' browser.. ;)

If you if it doesnt work using FireFox or IE, please let me know.

The file type should be .jpg by default..not sure why it isnt showing.. it is configured to make a .jpg

xl97
07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
comfirmed that the application works (as well as image export) on FireFox & IE 6

Dont use IE really, and would NEVER install IE7.. so if anyone can give me a check see?

Also JL- can you add the extension of .jpg to the end?

thanks

Angelus Lupus
07-02-2008, 09:43 AM
I like everything you've done with it, with one exception.
The source images of all the parts are in good quality bmp or gif format, but the image gets saved as a jpeg with a load of artefacts and loss of quality. Any chance it could be saved as bmp or gif, or even png?

xl97
07-02-2008, 09:47 AM
are you refering to the BUILDS that are exported?

Yes I can change it .gif or even .png I believe... I think I have tested with .png.. not .gifs however..

I also had compression on at around 60.. to help with me space, and server timing out when creating an image..

this part has been VERY rough (for me).. tweaking the PHP script to work and its still an on-going process...LOL

trying to get the auto delete to work as well so there is no manual clean up (delete) of peoples builds left on the server..

let me give it a tweak..and give it a try..

xl97
07-02-2008, 09:57 AM
updated to export as .png now...

no .gif support...

Jedi-Loreen
07-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Ok, I tried it in IE 6 and it worked. I didn't realize that I had to add the file extension on the end, it's always been done automaticly for other images I've save before.:oops: Saved it as a .png

I tried IE 7 once. Hated it immediately, unistalled it and went back to 6.

xl97
07-03-2008, 12:32 AM
you shouldnt have to add the extension,, but if using AOL and it doesnt show... was just a suggestion.

also.. are you using windows or mac?

Jedi-Loreen
07-03-2008, 04:06 AM
I'm using Windows XP, and I still had to add the file extension even when using the IE6 browser.

I don't have AOhell, I just use the browser that got downloaded when I upgraded AIM at one time. I'm on ATT/Yahoo DSL for my IP.

xl97
07-03-2008, 06:18 AM
thats strange....

I see an extension everytime on both browsers.. anyone else NOT seeing an extension?

Do you have HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES turned ON on your computer? I believe it is ON by default

you can check by opening any folder and going to: TOOLS >>> FOLDER OPTIONS >> VIEW TAB

about 10 options down...

Jedi-Loreen
07-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Aha. I didn't know about that.

It was turned on. Now it's not.

xl97
07-04-2008, 08:09 AM
cool..

this should let you see the extensions on ALL yoru files.. on desktop..etc so you can quickly identify what is what..

with this option OFF... do you still have to add the extension to the image export feature??

strengthofrage
07-04-2008, 10:30 AM
This is fantastic, very big help with my current project :)

Anyone have a preference for what type of paint program they like to use that you could paste your saber design onto in order to do a custom shroud? I have photo shop but haven't the slightest idea how it would be done using that program. I tried my PC's standard paint program but it is crappy lol...

Lord Maul
07-04-2008, 10:43 AM
You could do it in MS paint. Corbin made a tutorial on using that terrible program well a while back. I think I have it indexed

strengthofrage
07-04-2008, 11:07 AM
I think that is the one I used, terrible paint program is right :(

xl97
07-04-2008, 11:50 AM
SoR-

Thanks... I actually DIG it very much.. (and is in my portfolio of projects Ive done)..

I think it helps visualize the parts..and also CAN let you use 'custom' parts.. to test the waters with.. I also think being able to export/save your build would be a great help when sending it to TIM to explain your custom work.. (visuals are always nice)

I use photoshop exclusively (parts of my daily job) ;)....

and I beliebve the PAINT tutorial should still work nice..

the image(s) here can be used as a starting point:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=4645&page=12

I say take the image (plain extension piece)

open it up in Photoshop..

you now have your BASE gradient and part to work from..

1.) open up extension (base) image in photoshop

http://www.dmstudios.net/misc/5in_extension.png

2.) go to IMAGE >>> CANVAS SIZE and make it somewhat bigger stage area then the image is.. I did 200 x75 or something.. you may need to delete/crop out the background color.. no biggie..

should be at this stage now:
http://dmstudios.net/misc/partsMaker/step2.jpg

3.) from this point.. you can create what you want..

for example.. I take the rectangular marquee selection tool (the square tool) and make a couple pixel WIDE selection on the extension piece (see attched image)

http://dmstudios.net/misc/partsMaker/step3.jpg

I then copy and paste that section back into the image again.

4.) you can now take the little section you just copied and pasted and SCALE/transform it to be bigger, wider..etc.. (added white BG so you can see the scale tool in effect)

http://dmstudios.net/misc/partsMaker/step4.jpg

5.) to get the black outline/stroke/board..

just go to the LAYER palette and double click (or go to LAYER >> LAYER STYLE at top menu) on the LAYER you want to add a STYLE to.

(it will open a new layer styles property window)

choose:

STROKE (last one)

SIZE: 1

POSITION: INSDIE

COLOR: BLACK

those are the ONLY settings you need to do..

from here its all the same..

you either cut away form or copy from the BASE image (because it has the DEFAULT gradient we use).. to make what you want.. say you go to teh circle tool and cut out a 1/4 circle at the top of the extension piece.. there you have a shroud.. or do a 30 cut form the top...etc..

http://dmstudios.net/misc/partsMaker/step5.jpg

I have attached a .psd file for anyone to use,view.. you can copy the layer styles if you want.. or whatever.

http://dmstudios.net/misc/partsMaker/partStep1.zip

the more parts we make.... the more options and doors get opened.. gives everyone else something to show TIM to copy for custom made parts or whatever..

I think getting ALL the parts in the store would be FIRST priority.. and then custom parts second...

but it sure is fun to play with custom parts... :)

good luck

strengthofrage
07-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks, that should help a ton :)

It is perfect really, I made the exact MHS saber in your saber builder and saved it on my desktop... onward to paint/photo shop it went for me to come up with a nice custom shroud for it ;)

I will follow the steps above and tell you how it goes :)

xl97
07-04-2008, 02:47 PM
thats good news. :)

if you want to submit the part to be in the I.S.B... let me know. follow the steps in the link/thread above.

take care

Arm on Fire
07-10-2008, 12:59 PM
I dont know if this has been suggested, but I think it might be helpfull to reverse the numbererd scales on the top and bottom so you can line up your saber to 0" on the right and see what the length is without moving it over the menu or having to do the math (I'm lazy that way)
just a thought :)

xl97
07-10-2008, 01:50 PM
umm.....lol.. I think somewhere in there your saying..have an option to flip the 'ruler'? :)

I can do that.. I could also hide the menu/navigation or something if desired..

I CAN DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. lol.. but seriously.. those things shouldnt be a problem.. just need to know these are things people want..

liek does anyone use the arrow keys to move their parts around? some people dont use or didnt know about the snap-to option which brings up severla more issues/questions..

I thought having that option to also drag anywhere was a nice feature.. should it only be snap-to a set position?

also..Ive had several requests for curved hilts.. the only problem thre is how do you build or add a pommel at an angle.. I can make the parts 'rotatable' by 1's instead of 90 degree turns only?

any sugestions on where to place thesenw controls.. Ive been really trying to take extra steps to make the layout clean, smooth and not only functional..but looking good still..

or.......

how about we make the RULER draggable too? (only left/right, horizontal, axis only? with a positive and negative side? or just reverse..not really negative..)

Arm on Fire
07-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Yep thats what i ment, just flip the ruler 180 deg so 0" is on the right, i think it would make it easier to see the length of the saber you are building. :0

BhujangiJedi
07-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Regarding a question about a good image-editing app to use - I find inkscape to be very nice for saber parts.

http://www.inkscape.org/

Some parts that can be used in inkscape:
http://members.cox.net/khalsa1/pics/MHS.svg

xl97
07-11-2008, 09:51 AM
So what is Inkscape..just for vector graphics? SVG? Saber Builder can NOT use/load .SVG images... (if thats the format it outputs only)..

Saber Builder can ONLY use .gif, .png & .jpg (but .jpg wont do anyone any good as it doesnt support transparency, nor an alpha channel for that matter)

and what is this:

looks to be an XML file? is this how you load parts/images or whatever it does into this INKSCAPE?

Lord Maul
07-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Is it just me or is the Builder down? I haven't been able to get on it for a day or two now. Anyone else have this problem? :???:

sekrogue1985
07-15-2008, 06:49 AM
yeah havn't been able to access it for a couple of days on my end

Angelus Lupus
07-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Same here, I went to play around... I mean, er see if the new parts had been added.

Sam Skirata
07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Damned monkeys at DM studios are so busy d!cking around trying to change the site that they had to shut almost everything down. :x:x:x:x

Lord Preston
07-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I have the same problem.:cry:

Lord Maul
07-15-2008, 01:32 PM
That works for me as well. Thanks for the tip Darcy. Time to start messing around with this thing again :cool:

Drichar Deis
07-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I found that if you go to http://dmstudios.net/demos/ then scroll down and click on saberbuilderxxx, that works.

*UPDATE* Just clicking on this appears to work too: http://dmstudios.net/demos/saberbuilderxxx

Little worried, clicked on that first link and got:

NO PEEKING... you should be ashamed of yourself. (logged attempt)

Draconis Magnus
07-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I found that if you go to http://dmstudios.net/demos/ then scroll down and click on saberbuilderxxx, that works.

I get...

"NO PEEKING... you should be ashamed of yourself. (logged attempt)"

Lord Maul
07-15-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that xl97 is making it so we can't use it on purpose...

I got the no peeking thing as well

Darcy666
07-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Yeah, it started doing that for me aswell. I'm all out of ideas.

xl97
07-15-2008, 01:59 PM
that is correct.. it IS down for the moment.

had anyone bothered to ask..they would have been told.. but instead I get called a 'monkey', accused of 'd!cking around'..

and bunch of people crawling my directories when they have NO business to.. were NOT asked to.. and certainly do NOT have any permission to.

real nice.

Draconis Magnus
07-15-2008, 02:05 PM

had anyone bothered to ask..they would have been told.. but instead I get called a 'monkey', accused of 'd!cking around'..

and bunch of people crawling my directories when they have NO business to.. were NOT asked to.. and certainly do NOT have any permission to.

real nice.

huh? no idea.. I came late in the thread so who every called you those things should be banned from there forums. As for looking in directories, a simple "Under Construction" page would of sufficed in place of where the original page was.

Lord Maul
07-15-2008, 02:28 PM

real nice.

I think the monkey comments were in jest, but that is hard to convey over the internet.

I agree with Draconis that a "under construction" page or post on the forums would have kept people at bay. I'm not saying that what a few people (myself included) did was right, only that leaving us in the dark wasn't the best thing to do.

xl97
07-15-2008, 02:43 PM
well to be fair.. this is MY domain.. "I" wrote the Saber Builder I believe.. if I have been working on it, and its down.... I wasnt aware I needed to alert anyone.. (no one seemed to bother to ask not even one time about the status over the last few days, not to mention the HUGE, excessive abuse of image exporting 1 blade holder or 1 button or blank images..etc)..I asked people NOT to do

my life does NOT revlolve around Saber Builder..(although I thinks it damn cool) :) I use MY domain and MY web space for other stuff/aspects/projects in my life.. I liked having index browsing ON as it helped 'ME' get code samples and previous demos of other work I have done when "I" need it.

'leaving you in the dark'? (had you bothered to ask you would have been informed.)

not to be rude... but it sounds like you think your OWED something here? did you pay for anything? or do you pay for a subscription that Im not fullfilling? I dont think youve even submitted any parts or renders..or help at all..(although I could be mistaken).. although it certainly wasnt warrented by any means to be clear. ;)

but now I need to change how I run my domain?

and with all the mad/mean faces.. it seems other share in your 'opinions'...

its down... someone finds a way in and posts it all over the forum? you';d think just being a fellow memeber would command some respect... let alone someone who was doing a favor for the community to help Tim sell more parts? (and us see what they look like before purchasing)..

if you had found an exploit on Ervs site..wold you have announced to the world and tried to take advatange? or Tims?

I guess I wasnt aware I needed to keep "YOU GUYS" 'at bay'.... :(

wow..

Lord Maul
07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
(no one seemed to bother to ask not even one time about the status over the last few days, not to mention the HUGE, excessive abuse of image exporting 1 blade holder or 1 button or blank images..etc)

I did ask a few posts back. The exporting abuse is just dumb. I don't get why people do that. You made it for the forum and a lot of people on the forum are abusing it. Maybe just take away the save function and simply tell people how to print the screen so they can have their saber.

'leaving you in the dark'? (had you bothered to ask you would have been informed.)

That one came out sort of wrong. All I was saying is that a quick post on the forums saying it would be down would have been nice.

not to be rude... but it sounds like you think your OWED something here? did you pay for anything? or do you pay for a subscription that Im not fullfilling? I dont think youve even submitted any parts or renders..or help at all..(although I could be mistaken).. although it certainly wasnt warrented by any means to be clear.

I don't think I'm owed something. I am really amazed at the builder you've created and I sincerely thank you for doing it all for free for the rest of the saber community. I wish I had this thing back when I built my first MHS. I have posted a couple times in this thread, but I was gone for 2 weeks right during the peak development time. I don't think I can really be blamed for that.

and with all the mad/mean faces.. it seems other share in your 'opinions'...

My opinions are just that. Opinions. I do give suggestions, but I thought you wanted feedback. That's what I'm giving. A post saying that the builder would be down would be nice. All I'm saying. It's like if Tim didn't tell anyone he was going on vacation. People would start wondering where their orders were.

I guess I wasnt aware I needed to keep "YOU GUYS" 'at bay'....

Another thing that came out wrong...

xl97
07-15-2008, 03:53 PM
understood..

no harm no foul....

the rude comments about me being a monkey and d!cking around leaves a little salty taste in my mouth.. (which is funny because my site is NOT down.. I believe he went to .com....but anyways/who knows) but like you said.... I guess its all opinions.

If that member feels he can do better, by all means.. Im sure there are a million better ways things could be done.. knock yourself out. id like to see/play with it.

I didnt post anything.. mainly because I didnt think it mattered to too much or that I needed to...
I just changed the sub-directory name real quick to stop people loading it while I was testing an auto delete script....(to help trouble shoot the abuse problems)..

then started working on the swappable ruler option requested..etc..etc..

added the new parts.. (but have been searching for Parks clamps pics to finish that round)...etc.

need a thumbnail pic, (preferably a REAL pic of the part, like most thumbnails are now) and a rendered PAIN part to be used in the BUILD.

one thing led to another... and its been a few days

It all takes time.. and outside of a two members (who have made several part renders) and maybe 1 or two SINGLE part submissions.... I do everything myself..as well a update all XML files and images, cropping, code, thumbnail making..etc...etc not to complain..just putting it into perspective for those who may not understand the steps.

I honestly didnt think it warranted name calling or the ill will that was shown..

:(

I did ask a few posts back. The exporting abuse is just dumb. I don't get why people do that. You made it for the forum and a lot of people on the forum are abusing it. Maybe just take away the save function and simply tell people how to print the screen so they can have their saber.

That one came out sort of wrong. All I was saying is that a quick post on the forums saying it would be down would have been nice.

I don't think I'm owed something. I am really amazed at the builder you've created and I sincerely thank you for doing it all for free for the rest of the saber community. I wish I had this thing back when I built my first MHS. I have posted a couple times in this thread, but I was gone for 2 weeks right during the peak development time. I don't think I can really be blamed for that.

My opinions are just that. Opinions. I do give suggestions, but I thought you wanted feedback. That's what I'm giving. A post saying that the builder would be down would be nice. All I'm saying. It's like if Tim didn't tell anyone he was going on vacation. People would start wondering where their orders were.

Another thing that came out wrong...

Tenric Starkindler
07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
**Sigh**
There's a saying about looking a gift horse in the mouth....
another about honey and vinegar....
Or biting hands....

I missed the saber builder today as well...I have a link saved for it and it seemed down. I am quite thankful for the work that has been put into it and think it works wonderfully. I hope to see it continue to develop with all the new parts coming out soon. It is definitely superior to the old one (which was darn good as well).

Lord Maul
07-15-2008, 04:13 PM
I get where you're coming from xl. It must be a total pain to update that builder...You're amazing to be doing this for free.

MaverickJsmith
07-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Yes, it's really a cool tool to use. I get bored of staring at a sketchup screen now and then, and this little gem you've made is a nice diversion.

Cheer xl

Maverick

xl97
07-15-2008, 05:22 PM
it'll be back.. (for sure).. LOL hell I didnt bust ass for nothing.. ;)

its actually EASY to update.. its just when you do everything at once.. it can be cumbersome.

1.) get a real life pic..either from the store or cropped from someones build or custom part they had made and posted for use.

2.) make a render (MS PAINT or whatever matching part that matches true MESAUREMENTS we have been using in the Saber Builder render parts before "I" came along.. (the ruler & squares/grid should match all MHS/custom dimensions exactly.)

3.) update XML, with Part Label/descript/name, thumbnail image path, ms Paint image path.. save, upload everything..

really a HUGE thanks goes to Arkai H. as his renders were used, and saved abotu a week on delivery on having to do them myself..LOL.. Lupas has also submitted many parts you see.. I try to give credit/names to the people who either had their custom part made by Tim and then let it be used int eh Builder..or the person who created the MS custom part that we use even though its/they're not available through the store by default..contact to get a part you see in the Builder made by Tim or whatever.

so Thanks Arkai.. appreciate the work..helped a bunch wouldnt be working so fast or even now without your initial renders I cropped out and used.

soon maybe you guys wont have to depend on my domain.. ;)

Darcy666
07-15-2008, 09:22 PM
xl97, I'm sorry for posting that link. I didn't know that any harm would have come from it. I deleted my initial post, but fear the damage has already been done. Once again, I'm sorry.

Angelus Lupus
07-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Full credit and kudos to you for producing this, and I'm glad I could help with some parts. I guess the fact that so many people complained (including me) when it was down just shows how popular it is. I admit I like to play around on it just for kicks. :)
Maybe your note about excessive image exporting eating up your bandwidth could be put on the page with the builder? Just a polite request not to save single pieces or perhaps a link to Arkai's images of the parts if people want them? It occurred to me that might be why some people are exporting each piece separately. Hey, anything that helps keep the builder up and running, right?

ArkaiHalon
07-16-2008, 07:55 AM
I am but a simple cog in the clock.

You brought the renders to life.

and if you want to pop a link on the builder to the whre I've got the images at, feel free. I'm still working on more. and now tim is talking bout new parts. whooohooo

virus692
07-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Ahhhhh It's him! The Mexican staring frog of Southern Sri Lanka! He's right over there on that Website http://dmstudios.net ! don;t look at it you'll go catatonic :P

BlackDOG
07-17-2008, 10:47 AM
HEY XL!

THANKS.

bd

Lord Preston
07-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Any updates on the I.S.B.?

xl97
07-22-2008, 12:57 PM
just been super busy... (at least busy enough to not be able to be coding at the moment)..

so none of the changes/updates have been made yet :(

was thinking maybe putting it back on line and disabling the image export feature..

just havent gotten around to it.

thanks

Lord Preston
07-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Eh, no problem.;)

xl97
07-25-2008, 10:50 PM
back on-line (re: Saber Builder)

new ruler system.. (draggable, as requested by Randy/AoF).. also a light LINE top to bottom to line it up better when dragging ruler

newest (er) parts added from the TCSS store, as well as AoF: Mara Style Grips

NEED:
need pics of standalone parks clamps, like the ones in the renders for the MISC. section.... parts are ther to be used..however no real life pics of the part to make a thumbnail... not on park site, no king of parts..

thanks

BhujangiJedi
07-25-2008, 10:59 PM
So what is Inkscape..just for vector graphics? SVG? Saber Builder can NOT use/load .SVG images... (if thats the format it outputs only)..

Saber Builder can ONLY use .gif, .png & .jpg (but .jpg wont do anyone any good as it doesnt support transparency, nor an alpha channel for that matter)

and what is this:

looks to be an XML file? is this how you load parts/images or whatever it does into this INKSCAPE?

Inkscape lets you draw and manipulate shapes, so you don't have to do it freehand. It also has a good gradient editor, so you can easily adjust the gradient that gives parts a metallic look. Using a vector editor makes moving, duplicating, and manipulating parts really easy (compared to a raster editor like Paint). It also lets you enter dimensions numerically, making it easy to precisely set the size of parts.

I highly recommend anyone tinkering with saber graphics give Inkscape a look, unless you're already using a good vector image editor. Go to http://www.inkscape.org to download it (this (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/inkscape/Inkscape-0.46.win32.exe) is the file to download for Windows users).

The file format Inkscape uses internally is SVG/XML. It can export to PNG though.

ArkaiHalon
07-26-2008, 06:07 AM
images for thumbnails of parks clamp
http://www.saberkit.com/clamps.html

xl97
07-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Inkscape lets you draw and manipulate shapes, so you don't have to do it freehand. It also has a good gradient editor, so you can easily adjust the gradient that gives parts a metallic look. Using a vector editor makes moving, duplicating, and manipulating parts really easy (compared to a raster editor like Paint). It also lets you enter dimensions numerically, making it easy to precisely set the size of parts.

I highly recommend anyone tinkering with saber graphics give Inkscape a look, unless you're already using a good vector image editor. Go to http://www.inkscape.org to download it (this (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/inkscape/Inkscape-0.46.win32.exe) is the file to download for Windows users).

The file format Inkscape uses internally is SVG/XML. It can export to PNG though.

oh I see.. just a vector program...

either way its more or less useless to make images for Saber builder... be like trying to import a .psd or an .ai file...

if it isnt NOT one of the major public image formats (.gif, .jpf, .png).. flash cant use it..

if your use it for your own personal static images.. good share I guess..

xl97
07-26-2008, 07:54 AM
images for thumbnails of parks clamp
http://www.saberkit.com/clamps.html

thanks, added & live.

not sure how I missed them there .. (must be a retard) LOL

but I swear I didnt see any clamp link on the parts page??

haha.. I just checked again.. and it was RIGHT ion front of my face! I gues the control box image just threw me off.. and I couldnt read! (DOH!) lol

CybKnight
07-30-2008, 03:24 AM
This tool just getting better and better. Keep up the good work. :D

xl97
07-30-2008, 05:43 AM
thanks......

xl97
08-03-2008, 04:14 PM
request:

people who have had some custom powder coating done.. NOT solids.. as the Saber Builder can make solid fills on a part as it stands...

but if someone has had a part PC's by Tim (or whomever)..in a custom way..

(such as a ribbed section with groves black..or vise versa..or a choke point with middle black or whatever....you get the picture..)

I am requesting:

1.) post an image of that part... standalone would be great..but on your built saber in a way that it can be cropped out is appreciated)

2.) maybe myself or someone else handy on Photoshop or MS Paint..or whatever your graphic app of chocie is.. make a render of that part..

such as a ribbed section liek this to give a visual:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1126239/Obi-Dar_render1.JPG

(some post of Obi-Dar's) <-- thanks Eastern ;)

while being able to color is cool in Saber builder.. you can just color ONE section of a part unfortunately... so any help (pics) you guys got.. post 'em

thanks

eastern57
08-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Obi-Dar's, not Jay-gon.

;)

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
08-03-2008, 06:01 PM
I can give you the paint pictures of those pieces by themselves, but I won't have photos of them until I place my order with Tim.

Stand by...

xl97
08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Obi-Dar

I sent you a PM on this.. did you get it? (with my email on where to send them?) I dont believe I received anyting unfortunately...

on a side note, SaberBuilder has been updated:

new parts.. 2 in MISC. section..most in the CUSTOM section... these are mainly parts that were ALREADY available in the SaberBuilder, but NOW have custom powder coating done.. (just like you can get done through the store.)

these were fills/coloring of specific sections of parts.. something that SaberBuilder doesnt let you do..since you can only color a whole part.

if there is a certain 'scheme' anyone would like to see on a part (top, bottom, centers, ends), just let me know the part and how you want it 'colored' and I'll add it for you guys.

also.. I want to remind everyone.. DO NOT ABUSE THIS... when creating/saving/exporting a build you have done.. be patient.. click the button ONLY 1 time and give it a second..

it goes PIXEL by PIXEL getting the data from your build (bitMap image data) and sends it as an array to the server to rebuild and actually create an image of what youve built.. THEN you are prompted for a place to save it on your computer.

1.) be patient.. dont click the damn button 50 times... (you know who you are)
2.) dont save **** images...period.. you dont need to save an image of a default hilt style 2.. what for? or blank stage saves? (gimmie a break) just be respectful and this will be around for everyone to play with.. (its really just THAT simple)

well there seems to be some new parts on the horizon.. so if anyone wants to make some ACCURATE MS PAIN renders of those parts.. we all appreciate it. ;)

thanks

example pic of the new parts..(and a visual if my explanation is KAKA).. LOL

http://dmstudios.net/misc/newParts.png

BhujangiJedi
08-08-2008, 04:53 PM
oh I see.. just a vector program...

either way its more or less useless to make images for Saber builder... be like trying to import a .psd or an .ai file...

if it isnt NOT one of the major public image formats (.gif, .jpf, .png).. flash cant use it..

if your use it for your own personal static images.. good share I guess..

People can use what they like, but it astounds me that anyone would use a raster program (MS Paint??? Come on, at least download Paint.NET) for something vector programs are ideally suited for. Inkscape exports to PNG. You can do whatever you like with the images. The fact that it uses SVG/XML as its internal storage format does not limit what you can do with the images you create with it.

xl97
08-08-2008, 07:24 PM
I agree. I think a vector program is the best bet to use when creating an image..

my comments were meant to display that the .svg and xml formats are worthless to the Saber Builder application...

but if people want to use InkScape to export to .png than it CAN be used with Saber Builder..

also MS Paint is thrown around here alot because

1.) its was used to create the original images
2.) there are tuts on how to make saber parts with it here
3.) almost everyone has it by default... (comes with windows)

JudgeKane
08-09-2008, 04:25 AM
don't know if these of any use to ya, about half ways down the page...;)

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5483&page=2

Shadeslinger
08-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Gah!! This thread needs to be STICKIED, or at least part of the thread index. ;)

xl97
08-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Judge-

sorry havent had time to peek at the images in-depth...

but I see they are on a filled background... and 'cropping them out may degrade the image.. which is why I ask that all images/part renders pepole submit be on a transparent background (ie: .gif or .png).. not to say they arent usable though..

I also want to be clear and ask, if the part(s) you made follow the measurements/dimensions of the real part in the store? You can use the gird & rule in the saber builder to mock up yoru parts as squares and rules should be right on to all part dimensions. (I cubic inch I believe)

on a side note, I really think the addition of the custom powder coated parts REALLY adds to the potential of what you can build, and what is available through the store.

I'll be adding two more parts from AoF (Randy) very soon, and cant believe I havent added them already since these are parts that I had made by him BEFORE I even started/finished SaberBuilder.

(time to check whos been abusing Saber Builder now) ...LOL

JudgeKane
08-13-2008, 10:39 AM
yeh they are not to scale, they do fit with the MHS parts but the real ones maybe longer or shorter....:rolleyes:

they were just quick 10 min mock ups to get a feel for them lol

xl97
08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I hear ya..thanks..

Im going to 'assume' that the middle tappered section is 2 in. in lenth..with the to padding the final .5 in to it.

Neptune ro anyone who has one..can ya chime in here?

xl97
08-27-2008, 03:57 PM
hello gang-

I am asking for a favor from 'SOME' of you,.. an that is to ABUSE saber builder. ;)

(bet you never though Id say that eh?)

To clarify, (I believe) I have successfully added an AUTO CLEAN-UP to the image export... and I want you guys to help me test it..

I dont want everyone to RUSH there and start saving a TON of images.. but I know there are many who are subscribed to this thread and will get the notification.. if you do, and youre around.. please go save an image (or 2)..

IMHO I still dont think there is any reaosn to save images of 1 blade holder or 1 thumbscrew.. but Im hoping this will help keep the directory clean of all images after a certain time frame.

Im asking that you STOP abusing it on purpose at around 9:00 pm. (central time)

so I can check to see if the auto-clean is working correctly...and see if I need to adjust the time frame before it 'cleans house' ;)

www.saberbuilder.com

Thanks

Lord Maul
08-27-2008, 06:04 PM
If you see a bunch of parts that looks like the word "Hi" that was me :mrgreen:

xl97
08-27-2008, 07:03 PM
If you see a bunch of parts that looks like the word "Hi" that was me :mrgreen:

LOL...

well Im hoping "I" dont.. then it should be working.. :)

update: just checked.. I only saw one... (sweet).. seems to be working.. and I can adjust the 'clean-up' time to be whatever now.

every time someone saves an image.. I scrapes the directory, and any images older than XXX time (currently set to 1 hour or older then current time) they will be deleted..

I'll consider this 'working now'.. so there shouldnt be any more 'down time' for the saber builder.. (due to wasted space/resources)

thanks guys.

CybKnight
08-29-2008, 07:00 AM
Good you are getting this sorted. I think I speak for the majority, if I say we enjoy your program very much... It is very helpful.

xl97
08-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks.. there 'was' supposed to be a TCSS only version, (a while back)..

but I guess it just never happened.. since then many things were added anyways..the parts list, the image export, the interactive ruler....etc..

so hopefully it will be around for as long as I can support it. :)

I just think its fun.. and to be honest.. the memebers who have submitted most of the CUSTOM parts, make this thing more fun to play with.

Not to mention bringing money/purchase to the store since you can visually see what you want..and if you choose a custom part..you can send that to TIM to get a quote.

I was thinking of adding a 'get quote' option at the top as well..so you can email your PARTS list and possibly an image of your build/saber to TIM..or ANY builder that would want to give an quote.

just a nice 'tool' that can be used to generate leads/purchases 24/7

I think I will soon be (might HAVE to) changing the graphics for it.. like the MAIN BG graphic...and the panel grpahics..the main menu/button graphics...etc

since they are all ripped from a previous project I had done..

I knwo there are many great graphic pepole on this site..so I might post on it..and use the best ones I feel are submitted (if any) :)

Firedrops
07-18-2009, 12:40 AM
How/where do i download this? all the links i find are broken.

Lord Maul
07-18-2009, 12:44 AM
I just use the TCSS version, found here
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/

xl97
07-18-2009, 01:07 AM
you dont 'download' it... its an on-line 'service' (per se`)..

or

www.saberbuilder.com

the first link has only parts you can buy in the TCSS store front.. the later has 'fantasy' parts..and just for visual reference...

pipster79
07-18-2009, 12:33 PM
how come on your saberbuilder there is a lot of tcss stuff that is not in the store, like the different sinktubes and shrouds and such?

Jagahati
07-18-2009, 12:37 PM
you dont 'download' it... its an on-line 'service' (per se`)..

or

www.saberbuilder.com

the first link has only parts you can buy in the TCSS store front.. the later has 'fantasy' parts..and just for visual reference...

This might have something to do with it.

xl97
07-18-2009, 01:08 PM
bingo...

MHS builder ONLY has TCSS/MHS parts..

SABER BUILDER has all (most) TCSS parts...as well as other parts/renders submitted by memebers to use in mock ups.. if they like what they see in the mock-up..they find a machinist to make it for them.. (like a preview before paying/buying)

SaberBuilder also has MHS parts in different powder coating options.. again..for a preview..

pipster79
07-18-2009, 02:45 PM
i gatherd that much, but when i look at some parts it will say, tcss sinktube #2 or tcss anakin shroud, tcss vader shroud, or tcss vacuum tube

Firedrops
07-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Hmm... the Custom Saber Builder thing(not MHS) is somehow... badly-done compared to the MHS version, but it has more contents. but where are the claws? can't find 'em anywhere

xl97
07-18-2009, 08:20 PM
LMAO!>.

badly done? what do you mean?

outside of 'size' and 'add to cart' feature.. they are identical..built off the 'same' engine even.

also under misc...claws are there in the Custom Saber Builder version..

(badly done.....hahahahaha)

Firedrops
07-18-2009, 08:35 PM
i feel that moving the objects are kinda jerky and not as smooth as the MHS builder, and this one lags. also if i try to move an object in more than 1 direction it completely stops moving(i mean if i move an object to the right, then without letting go of my mouse, i move it upwards)

Lord Dottore Matto
07-18-2009, 10:22 PM
i feel that moving the objects are kinda jerky and not as smooth as the MHS builder, and this one lags. also if i try to move an object in more than 1 direction it completely stops moving(i mean if i move an object to the right, then without letting go of my mouse, i move it upwards)

You do know that you just insulted the creator of saberbuilder right to his face, right?:-( NOT a smooth move ex-lax.

chase
07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Haha....

Try taking off the "snap to" option off, that will help with things not lining up.

Saberbuilder is awesome LDM. (insert high five)

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Both the Saberbuilder and MHS Builder are great...each has their uses, and I don't find any problem moving parts around myself...unless it is the snap to issue which can be easily turned off...which you have to for some parts like clamps.

The only 'flawed' thing I've noticed about Saberbuilder is that the powdercoating colours are different than MHS Builder so if you save renders from both and later try to mix and match parts in paint their colours don't always match.

But I'm glad for both of them...they are a great help to us and well done.

Thaxos
07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Hmm... the Custom Saber Builder thing(not MHS) is somehow... badly-done compared to the MHS version, but it has more contents. but where are the claws? can't find 'em anywhere

Claws do not exist at the moment. Tim's reworking the claw system, it'll be a while.

xl97
07-23-2009, 06:10 AM
1.) the claws existing in SABER BUILDER only..no where else.. and you cant even buy them..but if you'd liek to play/preview..you still can.

2.) you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to fine tune and move parts

3.) MHS builder has MORE PC colors...and were 'tweaked' to what Tim felt more matched his PC options...

4.) LDM didnt create SaberBuilder or MHS builder..

$tarkiller
07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
We have a couple of people in the community that could probably vector the parts. I don't have that much experience in Blender 3d but I could try to work on something...

I would be the man to talk to about that one. I have done alot of work with blender in the past for school, and designing sabers.

xl97
07-28-2009, 11:40 AM
my question is... what for?

vector is usless unless someone wantign these 'images/renders' has a vector program that can use them..

otherwise you'd still be exporting to a BITMAP/RASTER format...no?

same for 3D...

unless youre just saying you want better 2D images for people to cut and paste from in their own PAINT programs?

but these would (Im fairly certain) would never make their way to the SaberBuilder programs..

why you may ask? as I see it...

1.) it only uses .png/.gif or .jpg format types.. all thumbnail images are usually .jpg or gif....but ALL parts that you drag/use on the stage area are all .png because .png format supports transparent background (like the .gif format)..but also supports the alpha channel as well..

2.) anyone can take a render made in saber builder and open PAINT or Photoshop for that matter..and edit it will match...

3.) anyone can take PAINT or PHOTOSHOP..etc and make their own NEW parts fo their builds..or submit them to be used in the application..

4.) if all the parts 'were' re-done in a vector or 3D app even...to make better/smoother quality images to be used for the parts to drag/build with.. we'd always have to wait until SOMEONE (same person?) has time to keep up with all the new parts that come out...

it is KEY that things are uniform (ie: all start form the same gradient base...all start with same uniform size..and build form there).. so in the end all other options still work together.. like the coloring of parts..or the alignment..etc

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-29-2009, 04:26 PM
3.) anyone can take PAINT or PHOTOSHOP..etc and make their own NEW parts fo their builds..or submit them to be used in the application..

Thats one of my favourite things about Saberbuilder, MHS Builder and the old templates...I can edit the parts in Paint to help myself visualize new custom part designs of my own.

For me that is more useful than if they were made into 3D...but others' mileage may vary.

xl97
07-29-2009, 06:15 PM
which is what the WHOLE idea/concept and applications are for. :)

to help you visualize before you make a purchase.. or slightly edit a part to get customized by Tim pre-sale...etc..

I would think the MHS Builder has help many reliaze their builds and hence helped make a purchase.. ;)

Dudeman8800
05-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Hey, I'm a new member of the custom saber shop and i was just wondering how i can get those cool parts in the lightsaber picture (just to clarify, i'm talking about the picture with two lightsabers with yellow blades). i went on hms builder and could not find some of the pieces from the picture.

Dudeman8800
05-03-2010, 04:33 PM

when i click on this link you posted, i get sent to a page that just says NOT FOUND in big letters at the top of the page. I'm not very good at computers, so what does this mean and is there any way i could get the link to work?

Dudeman8800
05-03-2010, 04:35 PM
it also says, "The requested URL /demos/saberBuilder/ was not found on this server"
it really bummed me out when the link didn't work. :(

acerocket
05-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Which picture of teh two lightsabers with yellow blades are you refering to? Can you post a link to the thread/post they were in?

Dudeman8800
05-03-2010, 04:52 PM
forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?...

could it be because i have a mac and not a pc, or does that make a difference?

Dudeman8800
05-03-2010, 04:53 PM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?p=90359

sorry, didn't copy the whole address. the one in this post is correct

Shadar Al'Niende
05-03-2010, 04:53 PM
By the way, use the edit button on your last post to add something rather than double, or triple posting. Thanks :)