PDA

View Full Version : Question about lightsaber electronics

DaMaher
04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
As you can tell, I am a "noob" to this forum, but I've been reading around and I really like what's going on here. I have a few questions:
First:
What is the difference between LED and EL blades (other than the price, of course). Is EL tougher than LED blades?
Second:
What is the difference between the Luxeon III electronics kit, the Luxeon K2 electronics kit, and the Luxeon V electronics kit. Since I am not very good at this kind of thing, which is easiest to set up and install?

Thank you all for reading.

Klaatu
04-21-2008, 05:54 PM
LED KIt install is all pretty basic power-resistor-LED (buck pucks and sound boards make things a little different but thats the basics). EL is a wire (Electroluminescent Wire) that fits inside the blade. LED is a single LED in the hilt that shines up through the blade.

For dueling purposes I believe the concensus around here is LED.

DaMaher
04-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Thank you.

SWAT Strachan
04-21-2008, 06:05 PM
No doubt someone will jump in at this point and saber your head off for not using the search facility, so before they do I'll offer what I can.

LED = Light Emitting Diode, basically a small electric bulb.

EL = Electro-Luminescent wire, a strand of wire coated in phosphorus (I think) which glows when a current is passed through it.

An EL blade will be nowhere near as bright as an LED one, and there is the (very slim) chance of breaking it when duelling as the wire filament is in the blade, where as LED blades are completely hollow (the LED is in the hilt). So technically speaking, the LED blades are the better.

The Lux III, K2 and V all look more-or-less the same, but have different voltage and ampage requirements. This also changes depending on the colour of the LED. There are loads of comparison threads on here, and videos on YouTube to demonstrate the differences in brightness.

As for installation, well, if you want to go really basic (light only, no sounds or blade effects) then it's pretty straight forward. You'll need a battery of near the right voltage, a resistor or Buck Puck to regulate the current, an LED of your choice (along with the heatsink) and a switch. If you want sounds and effects, well, that gets a little more complicated.

To get a clearer idea of what I'm babbling on about, you'd be better off reading through THIS (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35) section. That'll cover the basics.

Oh and welcome to the forum, just remember to search through previous posts in the future before asking a question, as most topics have been covered in-depth at some time or other ;).

DaMaher
04-21-2008, 06:19 PM
No doubt someone will jump in at this point and saber your head off for not using the search facility
Lol. Thanks alot.

SpectreT65
04-21-2008, 10:40 PM
<click of blue stunt saber activating>Heh. I lurked and read for months before I posted my first questions. Classic case of "ferret shock", really. But I made damn sure I knew what was up, first.<swipe of the soundless saber, head rolling>

:D

Just ribbin'.

Seriously, if you're comfortable soldering wire, you'll be fine with any of the kits. Some folks swear by the old standby Lux III, and the color selection is best in the III's. K2's are thought of highly by some, but the color selection in the shop wasn't that great last time I checked; Royal Blue, Blue, and White. Same colors in the most highly thought of LED available in the shop; the Lux V. Starter kits give you what you need, or you can check the resistor chart and order separate parts.

I must warn you: this is a fun and addictive hobby, and some of your friends may want you to make sabers for them, too. It's happened to me already, and I haven't completed the chassis on the two I'm working on now. :D

DARTH KALEL
04-22-2008, 02:22 AM
that is exactly what happens, all your buddies that think your crazy for building one will be asking for you to do them one when you light it up.

Er Dan Gill
04-22-2008, 08:24 PM
that is exactly what happens, all your buddies that think your crazy for building one will be asking for you to do them one when you light it up.

Or they start building them, and constantly nagging you for tips on this and thathttp://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/realhappy/mhihi.gif
Just kidding Kal

Barmic Rin
04-23-2008, 01:59 PM

THat's why I need those blade holders! I have 15 to build for people!!!!!

As the biggest postwhore to post here so far, i'll keep it simple:

EL = slightly glowy stick (needs lights off)

LED = TURNS HEADS!!!!!!

For example:

EL in total darkness, at nite, full batteries:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/barmic_rin/ELsabernite.jpg

LED with curtains partly drawn, in the afternoon, used batteries:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/barmic_rin/saberLED.jpg

Drichar Deis
04-23-2008, 04:19 PM
ooh! ooh! ooh! I hate options! ;)

DARTH KALEL
04-23-2008, 11:40 PM
yeah me too lol it's been grueling trying to get a final design, as soon as I see other sabers I get more ideas and then order more, the cycle never ends.