PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Technology

Symber
04-21-2008, 12:42 PM
I stumbled across an article and immediately thought of all the stuff I'd read here about lighting sources in the past, so I finally registered an account to make a post. I don't know much about this sort of thing so I figured I'd let you guys decide if this has any potential.

I watched the video and what they show seems pretty bright to me, but I don't know if they give you enough information to compare. They say its 140 lumens per watt, but I don't think they mention the voltage to convert that number to lumens per amp.

Here's the article: Link (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/04/luxim-plasma-lifi-light-bulb-led-cfl.php)

Darth_DevilGuy
04-21-2008, 12:55 PM
depends on what type of driver and how you'd power the thing IMO, it is very bright, but things like optics and drivers are optimized for lux type LED's right now.

Hasid Lafre
04-21-2008, 01:57 PM
That and plasma need to be contained into a sealed glass tube. Which means its not duelable.

I have read about that plasma bulb in another site but I suspect it will get really hot cause they mesured it in the thousands of kelvin when they lit the sucker up.

Symber
04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah thats a good point about the heat. I think standard lightbulb fillaments are measured at thousands of kelvins too... but LEDs are much much cooler. Ah well, short of a super-cooled saber maybe this won't be happening.

As far as the duelable part tho. Would that tiny little glass tube he holds in his hand really break? It almost seems too small to break easily... Its like a christmas tree light bulb. Kind of a moot point tho :)

gundamaniac
07-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Oh wow I'm impressed. It seems that that little bulb shouldn't break too easily if it's mounted right. But uh.....the temperature....6000 kelvin inside?!?!?!?! How much heatsinking does that sucker need?! How much insulation would you need to hold a little tube surrounding a light source like that?!?!

Leigh
07-19-2008, 01:35 AM
This is interesting, I use a TIG welder on a daily basis, Its a plasma arc thats produced at the tip of the welding torch, The light from welding will burn your retina out in a mater of minuits & give a nasty sun tan, I wonder what the side effects of these bulbs would be?

Novastar
07-19-2008, 05:45 PM
This depends on many factors regarding usage for sabers, since the following apply:

* light may be emitted all over the place (360 degrees)
* it may require 250 watts for the ones that are currently (or going to be) made
* some optic solution would need to be made
* who knows if (and when) they'd end up making models that are supposed to be powered by super low voltage (in other words: 3v-12v)

And yeah, I don't really know about the whole "breakage" thing. That's somewhat irrelevant until it could even be made to "work" in a physical saber. And IF so... THEN you could address the whole: "Well, can it handle the shock?" thing...

Otherwise, you'd get like whatever X-Wing has... a plasma saber that is bright... but an incendiary device if it breaks, hahahah.

Colm24e
07-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Yeah I read down through the comments on the page and this person seems to know what theyre talking about.

"Temperature is the driving force for heat, whereas heat refers to the actual amount of energy present. As the mass of plasma in the bulb is very small indeed, the heat of the bulb is very low. The temperature of the lamp's glass will be far lower than that of the gas inside it, as the proportionally large mass of glass requires far more heat to raise its temperature by one degree than the proportionally tiny mass of plasma."

Makes sense to me, so then you would just have to worry about it breaking, which shouldnt be too difficult to control with a proper holder...

Oh yeah and at that temperature another guy said that it may give off unwanted ultraviolet light...which can be blocked with a polycarbonate lens...or perhaps blade hehehe

Though I still can't really see this going in a saber.

swear000
07-24-2008, 01:10 AM
That was a really good find. I think you are on the right track. I was originally thinking of using an ionized gas ignited by a spark gap. Plasma seems to be a better idea because plasma can actually cut through metals. Power has always been a challenge. It seems that Lithium Polymer cells can be small and powerful but still limited to 7.4v. Adjusting power should be able to adjust blade length as opposed to a laser which goes on to infinity. Telsa coils can generate plasma but they are too big and require high wattage. These small bulbs probably require less voltage to operate. I guess Amperage is the working force but I am still sorting out a few details...

Darth_DevilGuy
07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
That was a really good find. I think you are on the right track. I was originally thinking of using an ionized gas ignited by a spark gap. Plasma seems to be a better idea because plasma can actually cut through metals. Power has always been a challenge. It seems that Lithium Polymer cells can be small and powerful but still limited to 7.4v. Adjusting power should be able to adjust blade length as opposed to a laser which goes on to infinity. Telsa coils can generate plasma but they are too big and require high wattage. These small bulbs probably require less voltage to operate. I guess Amperage is the working force but I am still sorting out a few details...

we do have plasma bulb sabers, they light up real nice but because they require glass containment they're so fragile they can't even be used for spinning

swear000
07-24-2008, 11:56 AM
do you know where I can get a plasma bulb? I contacted Luxim but no response yet.

Darth_DevilGuy
07-24-2008, 12:08 PM
a quick google yielded these guys (http://www.futurehorizons.net/saber.htm), this is the type of saber I was talking about, the blade itself is essentially a neon lightbulb, don't know if anyone is still actively making these things, they look great but like I said they're so fragile that the can't do anything but sit still.

swear000
07-24-2008, 12:35 PM
oh yeah I saw that earlier when doing a search for Graflex saber construction but thanks for reminding me. There is a florescent tube igniter which I saw at a local hardware store and you did remind me that I have to look into the voltage to drive that. According to Engadget it takes 250 watts to drive the Luxim bulb. I know dental research has made a "plasma needle". It seems dielectric materials and certain gases (i.e. argon) are needed.

Darth Leximus
07-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Those guys are nuts man, check out some of the other stuff they have available on there. Just to list a few...

Ion Ray Gun

Phaser Gun

Time Travel Anthology?!?!?!

craziness!!

Darth_DevilGuy
07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
My favorite:

Philosophers Stone:
Also known as White-Powder-Gold or 'Mana' or the elixer of life. Discoverer David
Hudson spoke in a lecture.."First of all it is a room temperature superconductor"! "When mixed with water it forms a gelatinous mixture. When ingested it has the following affects. Every cell in your body will be taken back to the state it is supposed to be, when you were a teenager or a child. It perfects the DNA, and closes the light within the body until you literally reach a point where the light body exceeds the physical body." "The gifts that go with this are perfect telepathy, you can know good and evil when it is in the room with you, you can project your thoughts into someone else's mind, you can levitate, you can walk on water, because it is flowing so much light in you, you literally don't attract to gravity."

Darth Leximus
07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
I like the Rife machine

Cures AIDS in 21 days

Able to cure ANY DISEASE KNOWN TO MAN!

gundamaniac
07-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Great site, full of crackpot junk.

On another note, regarding the plasma sabers themselves....does anyone else notice that you're paying 390 dollars for a sinktube saber?........

Darth_DevilGuy
07-24-2008, 04:26 PM
I did, your paying for the bulb though, those things aren't cheap.

swear000
07-24-2008, 06:08 PM
bulbs will break anyway. It is probably best to look more toward micro size electronics that would actually fit in the hilt.

gundamaniac
07-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Good point. I'm used to el-cheapo LED tech and blowing the big bucks on a nice hilt and electronics like, say, a nice Ultra board or a nice piece of Buttered Toast. Mmmm.