PDA

View Full Version : Hard saber project...

Inclol
04-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi all !

First a little bit of introduction ; let's do it short, let's just say I'm a lightsaber addict :)
I've already got a couple of stunt sabers and I also have one MR Luke FX and a MR Anakin AOTC FX Luxeon converted (with Crystal Focus).

But, now I just wanna be REALLY serious, cause my Anakin AOTC has been pretty useful to learn, but that's far from perfect to fight with. So, WARNING, it's gonna be a long post :P

I have a project in my mind which is waiting since... too long, probably :) Now it's time to unleash the Force *hum* unleash it.
It gave me some headaches, and it's still not resolved at this time ; I'm hoping some of you can help me about that. So, let's begin.

I think lot of people loved double lightsabers, but the problem is it's pretty "specific" in terms of handling, design, etc.
But I don't want to choose. I want everything :D
So, as lot of people, I had an idea ; what about a double-bladed saber that could easily split in two individuals one ? Okay, not new. What if we could do it without any tool ? Without having to switch them off ? Just in one move, like during a fight, but keeping it solid enough ? And if it could be possible without reconfiguring anything... just split and fight... ? Mmmm... Kinda interesting. That's exactly what I want :P

So now, my thoughts about it. Easy to say, hard to make.

-> I first focused on the fixation system ; It's not that easy to find something easy to take apart without anything, but that won't always fly away if you move too much. After some cups of coffee, I suddenly had a problem on my computer ; hard disk down :( But, hopefully, I think I found it !
I opened it and I thought those big strong magnets could be really awesome. They're small enough, they're REALLY strong ; that should be solid but still possible to take apart without anything else.'
But there's a problem ; what about the modules ? Having a big magnet just a few centimeters from it... Isn't that really bad ?
That's something I'd really like to enlight, as I don't see a better system yet.

-> Second, the problem comes to the electronic. I'm planning to use two Crystal Focus V4, to have individual sounds for each saber of course, BUT big problem.
Let's say I do so, and configure them perfectly for "single saber" usage. When I'll assemble them, the gravity center of the whole hilt will change, so the settings won't be appropriate ; maybe keeping the two modules playing sounds INDIVIDUALLY could cause bad results too...
That's THE main point I wanna enlight ; big trouble.

As I said, I don't want to reboot the sabers each time I switch them, or being forced to switch to another sound bank (with its own config file). At least i hope it's possible.
And I'm really *NOT* sure it will produce good results if I just put two CFSC in it and pray :O

So, if any of you has an idea about it, please let me know.

(... And if I mispelled somewhere, I'm French, so I'm "half excused" :D)

SWAT Strachan
04-21-2008, 10:06 AM
THIS (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=4353) thread might be of interest to you.

Inclol
04-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the tip ;) in fact I already thought about taht kind of solution to join the sabers, but I think magnets are better ; I tested them and I have the feeling that the strong metallic support on which they are mounted "absorbs" most of the magnetic effect... But I'm a little afraid to test it with a CFSC :D I'll try to let a little metallic object on it and see if it's magnetic tomorrow.

Now only the electronic part I'm really not sure...

SWAT Strachan
04-21-2008, 10:22 AM
I didn't do physics at school, but I think that the CF card would only be affected if it was moving through a magnetic field. Considering that the magnet would be a permanent fixture on the saber I don't think it would affect the card.

I have doubts about using magnets though, as if you can apply enough force to separate them intentionally, there's every chance you could apply sufficient force unintentionally when swinging it. Net result is one half of your saber disappearing in to the distance! I think some form of mechanical linkage is the only safe way to go about linking two sabers.

Inclol
04-21-2008, 10:25 AM
That's what I'm afraid of too, but, I don't know if you've already seen hard disks magnets, but that's really very strong stuff ; hard to take apart. I think if there's something like 0.5 cm of empty space between them, and some shapes around to maintain the sabers, it would be strong enough. But that's still my 2 cents, I haven't tested it yet and I cant kill all my hard disks...:rolleyes:

SWAT Strachan
04-21-2008, 10:36 AM
That's what I'm afraid of too, but, I don't know if you've already seen hard disks magnets, but that's really very strong stuff ; hard to take apart. I think if there's something like 0.5 cm of empty space between them, and some shapes around to maintain the sabers, it would be strong enough. But that's still my 2 cents, I haven't tested it yet and I cant kill all my hard disks...:rolleyes:Seen them? I have a ball of them about 8" across :mrgreen: (I had a little side-line in recycling old hard drives in to wind chimes). I agree with what you say about the strength of them, it can be a real challenge to separate them should they snap together, but try as I might I can't see how they could be practically applied to linking sabers. Pulling one magnet directly away from another is hard, but sliding them off of one another isn't, and that's where the problems could arise.

I'm happy to be proven wrong though :).

Inclol
04-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Mmmm... true :p So I guess I should just make custom pommels to test that idea, mount them on sink tubes and test that so i could see if I'm on the right way or not...

Well, I'm gonna need to try that, so :D

Hasid Lafre
04-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Man this discussion is never gonna end.

The closes thing we could ever get to a qucik disconnect staff and still make it sturdy is this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piPpiAJeaXI

Inclol
04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the link ^^ in fact I'm thinking about something exactly like this. But i still want to give a chance to those poor magnets :lol: Why not combining this kind of setup with the magnets... ? Mmmmm I could even do a little rough test without machining stuff.

Anyway, maybe I'm totally wrong, maybe those magnets attracts me :P but I wanna try anyway... if I'm wrong then I'll think about an idea like this video.

Hasid Lafre
04-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Even the strongest magnet will brake when dropted, or they colide to hard with each other. or the vibration will cause it to brake.

Sorry I dont think magnets are the way to go.

Inclol
04-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah, maybe you're right, after all ;) I'll study that, in fact doing a custom machined piece in each case is probably the same cost for each solution but easier and less risky without the magnets.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts !

eastern57
04-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Magnetic couplers have been done. Coupler alone, it's possible - no idea how strong they hold or if the magnet will affect sound (no sound in these)..

http://www.parksabers.com/inertia.html

Mr. Parks is a good saber designer, but he still preaches "don't duel with these"...
Does anyone else have any insight on these? First-hand even?

mad4tv13
04-25-2008, 03:59 PM
:idea::idea::idea::idea:does anyone know of camping poles the things that hold the tent upright the tiny plungers that hold the poles togethor these plungers are solid steel in some and can withstand a lot of abuse if you were to get a design from a tent manufacturer or posibley an actual one it could be placed at the end of the saber instead of a pommel this would create a sturdy saber witch is able to seperate not at the speed you may want but it is a possibility you could even have two at the base for added stability

Novastar
04-25-2008, 05:34 PM
A twist and lock system with a spring attachment would be cool.

mad4tv13
04-25-2008, 06:40 PM
the onlything would be getting one you could probably get one off of an old umbrella they have some with mechanisms on the base that could be cannibleised they are about the same size they even have threads on them
their even self contained you just have to find one with the right diameter and the right threads may be difficult though

mad4tv13
04-25-2008, 06:45 PM
:twisted::twisted::twisted:does anyone have functional links to the mhs builder

eastern57
04-26-2008, 06:45 AM
there is no mhs builder... only zuul...

Jay-gon Jinn
04-26-2008, 08:09 AM
There was a big discussion about dual saber couplers about a year ago:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=1427&page=9

It started with a post by Corbi_Das during the discussion for the design of the Modular Pommel System. There might be an idea in there that may help.

Jonitus
04-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Did anybody happen to see the eBay auction of the saber staff that has a push-button lock mechanism for the saber? Looks interesting. I can't find the link now (maybe the auction ended), but the seller had a system of a pushbutton that fit into a notched recess on the other saber. It seemed like it would be pretty solid.

DARTH KALEL
04-26-2008, 10:14 AM
I really like the MHS coupler that was on you tube. he just used a few MHS pieces like the 1.25 sinktube adapter and a #1 blade holder, I can't find the link again, but it shouldn't be too hard, but it looked good and was pretty functional.

mad4tv13
04-26-2008, 10:14 AM
yeah that locking systems is pretty cool but how could someone without access to a milling maching or fabricator get hold of one i think that all of the ideas are good even the magnet but they all have kinks to work out

the magnet would probably wipe the sound boards programing and sound banks possibly the circuit boards proggramming.

the locking mechanism in the other forum is really nice but could be very expensive and by the looks of it could be very week the way it was portraid
in 3-D depending on the thickness of the pin catches

my idea has a few. first it need to located in the right size and threads also youd have to block the base so it could act as a pommel and all the electronics dont fall out

DarthFender
04-27-2008, 09:16 AM
there is no mhs builder... only zuul...

Oh, Zuulie, you nut! I wanna talk to Dana!

DARTH KALEL
04-27-2008, 12:15 PM
I have a buddy who used a piece of pipe that was three inch piece that went over both pommels on the sabers. He use the flat pommels and then when the slide piece over he used a custom cotter pin to hold them together, one side is permannent the other is just a slide over and slide pin through. The pin was sanded down just enough to fit tight. then In the center there is gasket material ot absorb impact, he grooved the inside of the pipe and used a screw on the pommel as a guide and ground it down a bit. so when you slide the saber in the screw slides in the guide not allowing it to move and then with the cotter pin it's very sturdy and only takes one hand to disconnect. I have the designs and measurements for this piece if anybody is interested, PM me.

Oh and trust me, you don't want to use magnets, i've seen a sink tube saber magnatize in 15 mins, frying everything inside, and have seen the magnet shove the speaker up into the board till they started melding together. lol