PDA

View Full Version : PLI's (ideas & sources)

xl97
04-20-2008, 05:13 PM
I have read comments about Tim previously carrying PLI's but I have never seen them..so if must have been a while back?

I havent heard of any mention of them being carried again..

that being said.. does anyone know where you can get or make an alternate?

Id rather it NOT just be a simple LEDs lit up.. but actually reflect the power level..

but I think that is ONLY available on the CF's driver/sound boards?..is this correct? or is that ONLY if you want blinking patterns and what not when the juice gets low?

I knwo xwing had mentioned getting a CHIP and programming it to do whatever..

but I wouldnt know where to begin on that path. (not sure of the chip.. what language would you program it in? Assembly/Hex? C++/C#?

Thanks

Er Dan Gill
04-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Try here (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/PLI-Power-Level-Indicator-P267.aspx), should be good:D

xl97
04-20-2008, 05:27 PM
DOH!...

OMG!

grrr.... and I just had an order sent out on Friday! LOL...

(cant believe I missed it... never even looked under connectors & plugs!)\

now to order that and a kill switch/plug.

THANKS!!!

and now to abuse your charity! :)
(any links on anyone using the TCSS PLI's in their hilts?) ;)

eastern57
04-20-2008, 05:36 PM
look for Corbin's "killer penny", I think that was one of them.

Marsupial
04-20-2008, 07:35 PM
yes it was.

in fact, the PLI is originally an idea of Corbin's.

Arm on Fire
05-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Could any one tell me the center to center distance and the screw size of the mounting holes on the PLI in the store? Thanks

xl97
05-22-2008, 09:12 AM
according to my MANUAL (slide) caliper.. it says (a smidge over) 1 - 9/16

thats the BOARD itself.. the grommets bow out a little in the middles

from center rubber grommet to center rubber grommet (screw hole)..

I gotta tell ya.. Im excited that you are even ASKING!!!! :) ;)

If you need any pics or something..let me know..

the regular dimensions (from the store)
Just over 1 3/4" Long x 7/16" Wide x 5/16" Thick.

I have a question though for anyone who HAS one..or used one..

Is the LED 'graph' supposed to be ALL lighted up to your LED color indicator/level?

Liek if I have a FULL charge (green light).. should the yellow & reds be 'on' too? I hope this is the case...

however.. I just touched my batt. pack to the PLI.. to give it some juice.. and ONLY 1 green light came on.. the LEDS all light up one atatime..but didnt stay on..only either 1 or 2 green lights... no yellows.. no reds..

is this how it is SUPPOSED to work? (I hope not)

swear000
07-24-2008, 10:27 PM
anyone have any ideas or suggestions for mounting the PLI and wiring it. It has a green circuit board that I would like to cover with stainless steel or something somehow. I am putting it on a Graflex but it looks like getting it mounted in the control box will be a challenge.

Madcow
07-25-2008, 10:47 AM
I've played around with a similar 7 LED PLI...
I would reccomend wiring it in with a tiny momentary pushbutton (tactile switch). That way when you push and hold the button - the power level is displayed - until you release the button.

I think it should fit into a graflex clamp. You may have to remove it from the clear protective heatshrink - if so... take measures to ensure there is not short circut by solder points touching the metal of the clamp.

MC

swear000
07-25-2008, 12:35 PM
ok I see what you are saying. any good way of insulating the board?

xwingband
07-25-2008, 12:40 PM
It lights up like a chaser. Meaning it lights up in a sequence until it hits the one for the level. So only one is lit, maybe two if it's at an inbetween voltage.

It will not fit in a graflex clamp, it's too thick. It fits the holes on a Luke ROTJ clamp though.

swear000
07-25-2008, 01:11 PM
is the LUKE ROTJ clamp available through The Custom Saber Shop? I think I saw control boxes of various sizes on ParkSabers site. I also have 2 sequential LED bar graph displays from radio shack that fit the graflex clamp perfectly. Only problem is that 1 of them covers half the area so I would have to use 2.