PDA

View Full Version : Sound question

Darth Vane
04-17-2008, 05:35 PM
ok first things first YES i am a noob at every thing on here. now the question i have is WHAT IS A SINK TUBE! do i need it to put sound in the saber or can i go with out it???

Thanks

SWAT Strachan
04-17-2008, 05:52 PM
It's literally what the name suggests, it's a pipe from a kitchen sink :mrgreen:. You can build a saber entirely from sink tubing if you like, or you can use sections to decorate / modify an MHS hilt. There's no requirement to use it on a saber.

Darth Vane
04-17-2008, 06:05 PM
oh ok every thing else said that i needed a sink tube to put the sound board in.
so i can do it without?

thanks for answering ! like i said total noob!:mrgreen:

DarthFender
04-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Sounds like you're referring to Erv's Method of securing the Electronics and Battery pack into the hilt. You don't need to do it that way, but the electronics and the battery pack will need to be secured. Otherwise it it possible for something to short out against your saber hilt. It is also possible for an unsecured sound module to get damaged from rattling around inside the hilt.

All that being said, Erv's method will be one of the cheaper ways to secure the electronics. If you use that method you will need a rotary tool (Dremmel) and a hot glue gun.

Here's a link to Erv's tutorial...
http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=19

Darth Vane
04-18-2008, 07:09 AM
i looked through it. its a good idea. but i was just wondering if theres is is a diffarent way of doing it. like with out a sink tube or any thing. this is my first saber so just want to keep it simpel. plus i have no experience with a dremmel and my luck i would screw it up:oops: :lol:

Jonitus
04-18-2008, 07:57 AM
If it's going in an MHS hilt, get a plastic sinktube (sold in the same aisle as the metal ones, but plastic and cheaper). Cut a section out of it long enough for your soundboard to go in and slide it in. The whole thing will fit (snugly) in the MHS and it wont rattle around.

Darth Vane
04-18-2008, 08:21 AM
If it's going in an MHS hilt, get a plastic sinktube (sold in the same aisle as the metal ones, but plastic and cheaper). Cut a section out of it long enough for your soundboard to go in and slide it in. The whole thing will fit (snugly) in the MHS and it wont rattle around.

so if i cut it say 6-7 inches i can fit the sound, driver, and light switch in the center section with out the extender i can put these in with out extending the length of my hilt? :confused:

P.S. what dose the sink tube adapter do???:confused:

Ade Kenobi
04-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Sink tube adapter is threaded at one end to let you connect MHS sections to a sink tube as the metal sink tube internal diameter is about the same size as the outer diameter of an MHS section.

Novastar
04-18-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm going to chime in here to be a LITTLE bit of a bad guy... Darth Vane, some of these questions... you could easily answer for yourself if you read a little bit more... slow DOWN... and go through a few things step-by-step.

Especially the "what is a sink tube" question. Google it (although sure, now you know, heheheh)...

The long and short of it is... you can house electronics in almost ANYTHING you want to.

Darth Vane
04-18-2008, 11:24 PM
WOOPS:oops: sorry about that! lol i just want to find out as much info as possible before i jump in then say "oh crap i screwd it up"

i guesse i do need to slow down.:lol:

Marsupial
04-20-2008, 07:22 PM
i just want to find out as much info as possible before

that's why you need to DO YOUR HOMEWORK...

before posting a question on a forum, any forum, always start by reading trough lots of posts, then use the search engine, then google it a bit, then if you can't find it, you know you can ask.

Newbie questions are generally answered a gazillion times.

Now, for the matter at hand, you don't need a sink tube for holding the electronics.
As a matter of fact, I use sink tubes as the body on some of my hilts... but I use something else INSIDE for the electronics.
I'm kinda lazy, and don't make battery packs. I don't make electronics craddle either.
Instead, I get a 8-AA battery pack (2x2x2 style) that I modify - it fits TIGHT in a sinktube or a king-sol flashgun, I can tell ;)
I modify it so 4 batteries are used, and the other side is protected room for electronics.
REMEMBER TO ADD SOMETING TO PULL IT OUT.

maybe I should take pictures some day.