PDA

View Full Version : This is weired

TD-2272
04-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Ok last night I was wiring up the 616 board to 6 AAA @ 1.2v each just for sound to see what happens. I thought I would see magic smoke but after five minuts it just got a little warm what gives I'm confused. I'll do more testing and see. Does anyone have an answer for this?

Darth_DevilGuy
04-17-2008, 02:52 PM
did it work? not work? give us more data please?

TD-2272
04-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Oh it worked but for how long pass the five minut mark I don't know

eastern57
04-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Does anyone have an answer for this?

are you asking "How long with the board run on 7.2V?" If you're willing to try it and expect smoke... perhaps you'd be willng to go the extra mile and report to us your results.

Dark Helmet
04-17-2008, 07:53 PM
I did that and ran it for about 45 minutes, then it made a scratching sound and died...that suct hard.....out of all the boards iv'e used that was my favorite.

savyas
04-17-2008, 08:02 PM
aye.. I goofed and hooked an 8*AA pack to a 616 board by accident and saw the magic black smoke by the transistor closest to the + power lead.. magic blue smoke made me disconnect power, and I got scratchy sound after that as well. one for the scrap heap. such is life.

Hasid Lafre
04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
I think its pritty clear that anything more than 6V will kill an mr board.

Dark Helmet
04-17-2008, 08:53 PM
I think its pritty clear that anything more than 6V will kill an mr board.

Absolutly! all hail the $2, 7805 5V regulator ( which by the way i found out about from Hasid), I learned the hard way, what's worse, YOU CAN BUY THEM IN THE SAME SHOP!!! those boards are much better suited for a 4.5 nimh pack anyway, better run times too. the only time you should ever use more than 6v is the 7v you need for a luxV. the 7.2V li-ion bats are the only ones I own, so i have to "reverse engineer" everything to fit them, a better way would be to go with a higher mah bat with a closer power rating to what you want to operate. The only reason i use the ones i do is to conserve space, so your needs may differ but it would be best to follow the the average saber builder's choice in power sources, not the smallest hi-voltage bats out there.

BTW, thanks for the heads up on the Old Line peeps, I may have to hit you up for some help on that^^

TD-2272
04-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Yeah I didn't want to press my luck so I took one of the battries out and now running at 6v's

Novastar
04-17-2008, 10:37 PM
It's been said many times, but... I'll say it again:

Systemically--the MR boards are made to run from somewhere around 3.6v to 5v... comfortably. 6v might be ok... it's a little push. 7.2v is *NOT* good, and though you may get xxx minutes of runtime with the board at 7.2v... it's only a matter of time (SHORT TIME) before you kiss it bye bye.

There really is no need to give the board more than 6v anyhow. As far as I know... even if the board *DID* survive forever (let's pretend) on 7.2v... I don't think you magically get more brightness vs. 6v. I may be wrong.

TD-2272
04-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Well I was doing it for sound and bypassing It with a resistor for the led but I think I just burnt it when I was snipping the RBG wires for the positive it hit the neg then poof!!! I'll have to get another tomorrow.