PDA

View Full Version : 7.2V with k2?

chase
04-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Could I hook up a 7.2 recharge pack with a green K2 and the correct resistor or will it blow up? What about a 4AA battery pack which equals 6V? Is it overdriving it or just giving it more battery? I'm starting to understand this stuff a little better, but still have some questions. The 7.2V recharge pack is 2600mAh...does that make a difference compared to the target mAh of 1500 of a green K2? mAh is just battery runtime right? If so...it wouldn't really matter then, eh? Would it be OVERDRIVING it or just giving it more battery runtime?

Malaki Skywalker
04-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Should be fine, it saids in the LED Resistor chart in the store its going to need a 2.7 Ohm 10 Watt to use a 7.2V pack and to get it at 1500Ma

Hope this helps ;)

Hasid Lafre
04-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I would use a puck, that resistor is gonna get really hot.

xwingband
04-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I would advise using the 4AA pack. Why? With resistors the excess voltage is burnt off as heat. So essentially it's getting wasted.

The capacity of the pack doesn't matter a whole lot to the current you want to give the Luxeon. A resistor is a current regulator. The ohm it's rated in is a unit that is volts per amp. SO... the idea is that despite the capacity rating being the same units that's not the amount of current you can or will draw. As long as the chemistry of the battery works well of the draw you need it will be okay. (NOTE: Example... 9V's are low capacity and don't give current, bad for Luxeon but fine for EL that likes high voltage.

Recharging... it won't "blow anything up". You can set up the port as a kill switch so only the batteries are connected when you plug it on. Even without though, just don't turn on the saber while charging and it will be fine.

chase
04-17-2008, 01:29 PM
I plan on getting a driver, but the corbin driver won't run that K2 at full power...I still want the brightness of a k2 though...I was planning on getting a puck later because I only have so much money I can spend on this next saber. I don't want to get another LuxV because it requires so much battery space with that 3456AA battery holder. Should I just push a luxIII to full power with a driver or get a k2 and not actually meet the full 1500mAh with 2 700mAh pucks?

Hasid Lafre
04-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Well fromwhat I can tell you were planing on using a 7.2V battery pack anyway so youmight as well run a luxV

chase
04-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah, the rechargeable 7.2v 800mAh battery pack. I don't think it will fit in my new saber that I'm designing, thats why I'm asking around about the K2s. I've already got a green luxV and like it a lot, and I've got a luxIII green, which is ok...but nothing compared to a luxV.

LAN-ED-TUL
04-17-2008, 05:09 PM
the 7.2 recharge [acks fit nicely in the hilts. theyre shorter than the regular 6 cell packs, they stacked in a triangle formation 2 cells long. so pack is only 4 inches long instead of 6.

that gains alot more freespace inside there. im using one myself in the lower section of a real graflex driving a 700 puck drivin a LV green led, in a TGF blade holder installed. it all fits perfectly. and the MHS stuff, will be longer, so even more space available inside.

chase
04-18-2008, 07:40 AM
The saber I'm building is only going to be 10.7 inches long. The 7.2 800mAh battery pack is out of stock, and not knowing when it will be back in stock is a bad thing. I know that it would fit better with the recharge pack, but I don't really want to spend 30 dollars on the LuxV and another 15 on a puck if the K2 green is going to be pretty close. That was basically my question, with a setup of a green K2, will that be THAT much of a difference compared to a green luxIII or closer to a green luxV? Like I said, I only have SO much money to spend, and since most of the parts I'm getting from Tim are going to be custom made, the price is already close to 200 bills. If I was going to buy a charger and recharge batteries, it shoots the price up another 50.

Now a different question. If I was to get a Corbin driver and a green LuxIII, would it be brighter and more efficient than just getting a green K2 with 2 700mAh pucks? I'm asking this question because I eventually plan on getting sound and all that jazz and I would like to just be prepared with a good LED setup so I don't have to change anything.

xwingband
04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
There is a noticable step from III to K2 to V in Green for brightness. So... pick the one that fits best. You won't get more out of a III on Corbin's vs. a 1400mA pucked K2.

chase
04-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Oh ok, thanks Xwing. I'll go with the K2. I really like the V, but its just so expensive to maintain them, either with buying tons of alkaline batteries or getting a recharge set. I'll just save a ton of money and get a CF one day that way I COULD hook a LuxV up to it.

New question... Would hooking up 2 1000mAh pucks be TOO much for a green K2 or should I stick with 2 700mAh pucks? I would like to overdrive it but 600 extra mAh seems like it could be a little dangerous.