PDA

View Full Version : Regarding certain parts

Gunk
04-16-2008, 04:13 PM
The diffusing film sold here is it the same as the "magic" film sold at PlecterLabs? Also where can I get some of the "crystal" paper used for packaging that he mentions his tutorial? Only reason I asked this is because his sabers look very impressive

vortextwist
04-16-2008, 06:18 PM
no it's not the same as what erv uses. the stuff erv uses is a polyp (correct me if Im wrong xwing). I think it's just cellophane wrapping paper and something else.

http://www.papermart.com/templates/47-0-15.htm

Sethski
04-16-2008, 07:23 PM
I think what Erv sells in the shop is actually the same stuff, although in his actual blades Erv uses this combined with cellphane/polyp as well from what I've seen/read.

The significant difference is that whereas the Corbin/TCSS film is scored so it goes across/around the blade (to give the coring effect), Erv's is scored longways, so you don't get the coring, but it does help with the extent/retract-type effect with some luxeon drivers and driver/soundcards and gives less of a semi-transparent effect than the cellophane/polyp alone.

It's just a matter of taste, they all look good in their way - and of course postage cost, depending where you live ;)

Oh, and welcome to the forums, by the way!

xwingband
04-16-2008, 07:26 PM
The magic film Erv uses is similar, but not exactly the same. Apparently it's parallel scratches vs. perpendicular.

State-side we use corbin's film (sold here). Then the "crystal film can be a lot of things. Some buy "gift wrap" from hobby stores, cellophane, PolyP, etc... Personally I buy the stuff at the link because I know I can get a consistent supply and large quantities of it.

Angelus Lupus
04-17-2008, 07:11 AM
The magic film Erv uses is similar, but not exactly the same. Apparently it's parallel scratches vs. perpendicular.

I can confirm this. I have some corbin film in the blade I got with my Do-Clo saber, plus I got some of erv's film. The scratches run across/around the blade on corbin's giving the core effect. On erv's the scratches run lengthways, making the blade appear wider.