PDA

View Full Version : Does this look right?

Ashron
04-15-2008, 07:42 PM
I bought the MR build your own saber kit to get the sound card, now I have some cool parts left over. I wanted to make an RGB saber using the 1 watt star it came with. I plan to direct drive the star with 2 batteries. I have 3 small SPST latching switches I am gonna use. The red will be over driven, after talking to a friend he recommended adding a resistor 2.7 ohm 0.5 watt. That should bring it down so I can mix colors without the red overpowering. Is there anything else I need to do? :confused:

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/493/diagramvg4.png

Strydur
04-15-2008, 08:21 PM
If you turn only one on at a time your logic is correct. If you turn more than one on you are changing the circuit and the leds would be dim or not work I think.

Dark Navel
04-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Grayven has a fantastic tutorial on this using a dip switch. You may want to give it a look over.

Darth Tollo
04-16-2008, 05:19 AM
I do know this much, when I strapped 2 batteries together and touched the wires to them, I went blind for a moment. It didn’t seem to dim at all as I touched 1, 2 and even all 3 wires.

TroyO
04-16-2008, 10:26 AM
It looks right to me. The circuit doesn't really change, well... as long as the batteries are capable of driving all 3 LEDS at the same time.

If the batteries can't support the current of all 3 running at the same time it would dim as each one was turned on.

I think you'd probably see the opposite... it gets brighter with each one you turn on.