PDA

View Full Version : a REAL lightsaber

The Plague
02-20-2006, 11:06 AM
All the time when I tell my friends that I have a realistic looking lightsaber they ask me if it will cut something. That said I would like to share my thoughts on how to build a real lightsaber with all the properties from the movies.

Ok the fisrt par is a retractable beam that would cut something. In france they have a meter long plasma toarch, so the cuting ability is possible. Next is shaping the blade. This could be done by using a magnetic field to contain the plasma in a rod like shape. Saber colour would depend on the gas being used for the plasma, since plasma is an ionized gas, different gases would give you different colours. The hardest part is creating a portable power source, since you would need over 100000V this is almost imposible.

Well thats how I would make a real lightsaber. I would like your input on this or if anyone has some other ideas plaese share them.

Is that your lightsaber or are you happy to see me?

Nightwing
02-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I've seen this idea before. Some scientists say it's the only way to make a lightsaber.

So theoretically, it could work.

The Plague
02-20-2006, 01:45 PM
I too saw this concept online and took it to my physics teacher who said it was possible. the only problem is the power source.

xwingband
02-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Exactly, We'd need to basically convert the energy that the whole country uses in one second and squish it into a hilt. Yeah... not happening soon. We don't know how to control magnetic fields yet either.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

LAN-ED-TUL
02-20-2006, 05:02 PM
i read once an article of this subject. everything is possible except the power source. it said youd have to be hooked up with a cable to a power source as large as a big entertainment center. i dont think youd big luggin that around, lol.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

desertscorpion
02-21-2006, 08:13 AM
The power source isn't the only problem. Plasma really isn't the same as a ultra-powerful laser that terminates at a given distance (such as 3 feet). And a plasma torch just isn't the same anyway. And it still wouldn't be powerful enough to give it the excalibur-like properties that lightsabers seem to have in the movies. If we were even close technologically, then the government would have soldiers lugging these things around, cutting open enemy equipment. Lightsabers are definitely fantasy. In fact, I could see a future where some type of fission battery is created, but not where a laser blade is ever achieved. It defies the known properties of how light behaves.

The Plague
02-21-2006, 10:40 AM
desertscorpion, there are different types of plasma, and yes it would have the same properties as the movie sabers. and you could shape it like a lightsaber blade by using a magnetic field. Now if you had read the ENTIRE first post you would know that, unless you disagree with some of the best physics experts on the web.
[;)]

Do-Clo
02-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Given enough time & money almost anything can be made, but the real question is it practical

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

desertscorpion
02-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I'd like to know. What's that web link?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by The Plague

desertscorpion, there are different types of plasma, and yes it would have the same properties as the movie sabers. and you could shape it like a lightsaber blade by using a magnetic field. Now if you had read the ENTIRE first post you would know that, unless you disagree with some of the best physics experts on the web.
[;)]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The Plague
02-21-2006, 01:03 PM
desertscorpion
After rereading my post it sounded hostile to me so for that I am sorry, as for the link I used google and I can't find the site, but trust me it is out there. As Do-Clo said it is not that it is impossible just not practical.

Cyambin
02-21-2006, 03:04 PM
When my dad and I started thinking about lightsabers, he came up with an idea of how to make one with a laser.

First of all, lasers operate at different frequencies. The idea is to figure out how they react with each other. According to him, some frequencies of lasers will intensify each other while others will nullify each other. Theoretically, the right combination will create a super-intense beam capable of cutting through nearly anything instantaneously. But it would be infinite.
The right combination, however, would also emit the beam at a certain wavelength that terminates and re-forms in intervals. That said, there would be a lightsaber, then somewhere off in the distance there would be another lightsaber...It could be an infinite line of tiny dots, or several meter-long beams, etc.
This is where the theory of an actual lightsaber comes in: theoretically the wavelengths would cancel out some lasers and intensify others creating one beam 2-3 feet long which terminates and re-forms some few million miles away, where its energy would have dissipated so much that it would be a whispy, unnoticeable thing and wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful. CRAZY.
Then he said it would be much simpler to do it with plasma. The only problems are obviously the power source but also that we don't understand how to control magnetic fields yet.

vadeblade
02-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Hi,

Since I can not infuse my tone of voice into this reply let me just state it flat out - i intend NO direct hostility to anyone. Just stating my opinion on real lightsabers.

I just wanted to mention something about magnetic fields

Anyone ever had to get an MRI at a hospital? The technicians takes anything metal away from you, watch, rings, other jewelry, belts, etc. Why? because magnetic fields attract ferrous metals. The technician does not want his million dollar equipment damaged by patients suddenly flying across the room and sticking to the MRI machine (not really the reason but funny image in my head).

Now imagine you have a hilt, it is radiating a HUGE magnetic field to bottle a plasma blade. Then I throw an open toolbox full of wrenches at you...

Or I wrap a rare earth magnet in velcro and throw it at you hoping to get it to stick your Jedi robe...

Or as you are about to take a swing to kill your enemy, a Mac truck or armored truck passes by within close proximity...

Or the building you are in uses steel I-beams instead of 2x4 as a framing material...

Or you forgot to take off you steel belt buckle.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

http://www.geocities.com/projectstm/lightsaber.html

Madcow
02-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Vadeblade,
That was the funniest series of images that has run past my mind's eye in a long time. If we all ever get together in a back alley and throw down, I want you on my team.

Thanks,

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

suit_man
02-21-2006, 03:50 PM
vadeblade, i was thinking exactly the same thing. having a magnet blade would cause alot of problems [:D]

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

vadeblade
02-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi Cyambin,

What you are referring to is called the Intereference Pattern that is often demonstated in a classic quantum physics experiment called the "double-slit experiment".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference

Unfortunately, I don't think it works quite the way you describe it.
Basically, the interference pattern happens when the crest and trough of one light source interacts with the crest and trough of another light source - you get either constructive or destructive interference.

Assuming Light A and Light B are of equal magnitude and frequency -

*If Crest of light A is synch with crest of light B, you get amplication (constructive).

*If crest of light A is in synch with trough of light B then the two lights cancel each other out and you get no light(destructive).

*Now since we are dealing with light, the wavelength from crest to crest or trough to trough would be in nanometers, not millions of miles.

The same principle applies to noise cancelation devices like the Boss noise cancelation headphones because sound is also a wave.

May I possible suggest these books - "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat: Quantum Physics And Reality" by John Gribbin

"The Physics of Star Trek" by Lawrence M. Krauss.

Both have great explanations - in plain english - on quantum physics and light. Both very important subjects when speculating about lightsaber technology.

Thanks.

Lightsaber Warning Label: "CAUTION: Do NOT attempt to sharpen blade."

http://www.geocities.com/projectstm/lightsaber.html

Tenric Starkindler
02-21-2006, 05:06 PM
http://apfoister.proboards9.com/index.cgi?board=propel&action=display&thread=1124508639

discussion on this topic I started on another forum.

Very interesting possibilities....

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.

Tenric Starkindler
02-21-2006, 05:10 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by vadeblade

Hi Cyambin,

May I possible suggest these books - "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat: Quantum Physics And Reality" by John Gribbin

"The Physics of Star Trek" by Lawrence M. Krauss.

Both have great explanations - in plain english - on quantum physics and light. Both very important subjects when speculating about lightsaber technology.

Thanks.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

good books. Read them both long enough ago that I need to re-read them. Though some recent developments in String and Chaos theory seem to date them just a bit.

Reality often interferes with what would otherwise be an idyllic delusion.

AMR
02-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi,

Light or plasma blades would go trough other light or plasma blades, which pretty much takes all the fun out of a (friendly?) "sword" fencing.

Magnetic fields, if used, would mess with each other (assuming the plasma contained by one in each saber), plus the kitchen parafernalia.

There's always a simple solution that does not imediatly meet the eye, and nothing is impossible. I do feel however if one pratical blade would really cut and toast, most would not live enough to show it off to their friends, they'd be careless at some point and self-chop something off - there's no weight comunication as there is in a real blade. This light blade also causes damages even standing still.

It would take a lot of practice, so why not settle with a harmless solid light first? (but no tubes attached)

Kind Regards,
AMR
http://www.alvaromrocha.com

Firebird21
03-03-2006, 04:05 PM
I have given this some thought.

I have heard of the plasma-magnet theory before, and the only problem, as stated earlier, is that the plasma has no real solid form to it. So it would not clash like normal swords and “real” Lightsabers do. This would lead me to believe that the Lightsaber as we know it, or would like to know it, is not physically possible in the real world as we know physics to be now.

That being said, I believe that “a” Lightsaber IS possible.

The best theory that I have come up with so far is an actual retractable “blade”. Lets just say for the sake of argument that it would resemble a typical retractable radio antenna. (I know this is a bad example due to its lack of strength, but you get the picture) This retractable blade could be energized in a way that it would make it emit energy in the form of plasma.
I’m not an expert on the properties of electricity, but I have seen this theory work in many demonstrations of electricity. The Boston Museum of Science being my place of reference.
This energy-plasma would be where the blade gets its “cutting” ability and its glow, while retaining the strength of the medium used for the “blade”. Thus eliminating the “One-swing both-dead” duels that plasma alone would offer… Not very exciting to me.

Ultimately you would be electrocuting anything the blade touches. If you have the right frequency of electricity it would be more like cauterizing, (I know you all must have the image of “tazing” anyone it touches). Think of it as more of a lightning bolt emitter.

Using this method you would retain all the same effects of a fictional saber (retractable blade and the ability to cut threw almost anything) and it may also be feasible in the world as we know it. It would also require a lot less energy to make a ½ thick layer of plasma around the “antenna” than it would to make and control a 3foot long beam of plasma alone. Portable power would still be an issue, but you wouldn’t need so much of it, I would assume.

This is where I believe the real Lightsaber could become fact, not just fiction. I know my description has some holes in it, so if you’re confused, ask. I see it in my head, but I can’t type it out.

xwingband
03-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Actually a magnetic field around the plasma would exhibit the properties of a lightsaber. Magnetic fileds go through other objects and allow the plasma to cut but another field would repulse the other. The problem is that it would lead to other things non-canon. Like to find a Jedi just throw some metal junk at him and it will stick to the lightsaber.

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Firebird21
03-03-2006, 04:36 PM
It would also be easier to control that magnetic field with this design.

I loved that previous post about the problems with magnets!! http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_laugh.gif

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sabre.gif

Luke-SkyMarcher
03-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Interesting discussion! I have a question though. What about holograms? A hologram can be made as "deep" as the laser recording and "playing back" the hologram is coherent. Your typical HeNe red laser has a coherency of about 8 inches, but I read in a book about lasers that there is another kind of laser that can have a coherency up to several kilometers. However, a hologram need not be that deep. It could be kept right about say... one meter. I forgot what kind of laser this is so will have to look it up...

The main problem is that very little of the light from the laser is put back together in the hologram, so it wouldn't be able to cut anything. It would, however, make a good "practice" lightsaber, or be the "civilian" version so people wouldn't cut their own feet off (like I happened to do the other night[;)])
My opinion on "real" lighsabers is - possible but not probable.

Firebird21
03-12-2006, 04:57 PM
An interesting read...

http://www.exn.ca/starwars/plasmasaber.cfm

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_trooper.gifhttp://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sabre.gif

j25mackay
03-14-2006, 05:35 PM
As for the magnet-contained plasma field, there are two main problems.

Problem number one is the temperature of the blade. A lightsaber made out of plasma would have a blade temperature between 15,000 and 20,000 degrees Fahrenheit. If you've ever sat in front of a fire place, which is no more than a few hundred degrees, you know that heat radiates. Holding something 17,500 degrees a couple inches away from your hands and body wouldn't agree with your skin too well.

Problem number two is the stability of the magnetic containment field. It has already been mentioned that a powerful magnet is dangerous, but it gets worse than that. Magnetic fields are created by arranged magnets, which means they can be altered if another magnet is thrown into the mix. Ok, now for another sick and twisted funny image:

You are wielding your lightsaber, and somehow withstanding the 17,500 degree blade, when someone throws a kitchen magnet at you. The magnet passes by your lightsaber and disrupts the magnetic field, causing plasma to spill out all over your body. I suppose the bright side is that you would probably sublimate instantly and not feel much.