PDA

View Full Version : Nightstick Saber

Darth Leximus
04-15-2008, 01:13 PM
So I've been wanting to do this one ever since I saw the art for Force Unleashed and saw the drawing of one.

My question is do you think it's possible given the dimensions to drill and thread a hole in the side of a 7' hilt center section large enough to attach a ribbed extension off the side perpendicular to the main hilt?

Thoughts...suggestions

SWAT Strachan
04-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Considering that both parts are the same diameter, to make a hole large enough to connect a hilt extension to it, you'd be cutting almost half the metal away :eek:. I don't honestly think that would be feasible. But...

You could buy a small length of 20mm RIS rail (you'd only have to drill and tap two small screw holes then), and just bolt a cheap RIS grip to the side of your hilt. Not only would it allow you to remove the grip without making the hilt look ugly, you could also bolt a laser or torch on to it :). Three coloured LEDs would also look good in the extra screw holes ;).

Like this for example...

http://www.airsoftplayground.com/guns/RIS_RailAndForwardGrip.jpg

xl97
04-15-2008, 01:27 PM
sorry mis-read post.. ;)

Drichar Deis
04-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Nice idea there SWAT!

SWAT Strachan
04-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Sabers I don't know much about... But airsoft... Well, I know a thing or two about that ;).

Drichar Deis
04-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Ive been trying to think of a use for my airsoft m4-carbine, mmm...... saber parts ;)

Darth Leximus
04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
good thought, I actually have all that stuff from my airsoft M4. My issue with using that is that the handle is plastic and cheap looking and I really like the all metal look of my saber right now. I knew that my original post was probably a little...impossible, just wanted to throw it out there for brainstorming.

Drichar Deis
04-15-2008, 02:02 PM
I have a nasty feeling that there would be too much stress on the joint, I remember reading somewhere.......They suggested using the nightstick maglite grip.

Darth_DevilGuy
04-15-2008, 02:31 PM
I would suggest using plumbing parts, a length of tube with a T section, with blade holder going out the end and perpendicular handle out the side.

DARTH KALEL
04-15-2008, 03:48 PM
why do that they only make about 50 different types of grips that just slide over and then use a band to tighten over the shaft, home depot has about 5 different ones on the shelf, from plastic ones for drills to some of the metal ones for painting sticks. check them out. the plumbing ones would do good too, but you would have something permanant, if you wanted to go that way they actually make a drain pipe that has a 90 degree section coming off at about quarter lenght.

jpbeck
04-15-2008, 04:07 PM
That picture looks just like the grip on my real MP5K, I don't know anything about the quality of the ones on toy BB guns, but the real grips are bomb proof. You can pick them up (if your here in America) for about $40, they wont be HK's OEM grips but they are just as strong.

SWAT Strachan
04-15-2008, 04:12 PM
That picture looks just like the grip on my real MP5K, I don't know anything about the quality of the ones on toy BB guns, but the real grips are bomb proof. You can pick them up (if your here in America) for about $40, they wont be HK's OEM grips but they are just as strong.I think the concern isn't with the rail or the grip, but the aluminium tube that it'll be bolted to. I guess the fear is that the force of swinging the saber will rip the bolts out of the hilt. Considering that a fair few airsoft guns are made from aluminium alloy, I don't think it would be a problem to be honest, if needs be use all of the screw holes in the rail. I imagine it would work.

Darth Leximus
04-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Kalel has a good point that I hadnt thought about with the drill handles and the like. What about having a reducer coupling machined to fit the MHS ribbed section and then screw the smaller end into a custom tapped hole in the main hilt section? My goal is to make the whole saber out of the same (if not extremely similiar) material..ie the aluminum TCSS uses for MHS, preferrably without having to have a clamp around the hilt.

eastern57
04-15-2008, 06:58 PM
There's a guy on fx-sabers that made a pair of lightsaber tonfas, if I can find the thread I post a link.

http://album.blog.yam.com/Lightsaber&folder=3648521

jpbeck
04-15-2008, 07:03 PM
There is at FX Sabers that makes these PR-24 type saber. Let me check around I know has a video uploaded there. I can't remember his name but I'm fairly sure he was from Asia.

I'll edit this when I find his name. We could maybe ask him about the strength of his. I think your right, the handle would be stronger than the hilt-- however, your not going to use the saber like a T-Handle baton (are you?).

Hasid Lafre
04-15-2008, 07:46 PM
T handle batons are called tonfas. ifs its got a side handle grip its a tonfa.

Darth Leximus
04-16-2008, 11:14 AM
So yeah, I tried so hard not to start a thread that has already been covered but I failed! I just noticed the Tonfa saber thread in the General Hilt Building thread....commence flaming

eastern57
04-16-2008, 11:37 AM
There is no flame... only zuul

Hasid Lafre
04-16-2008, 11:47 AM
LOL GHOSTBUSTERS FOR THE WIN!

Come on zully...

But yeah

Barmic Rin
04-16-2008, 12:49 PM
There was a thing...in my fridge.... I heard a voice....

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/barmic_rin/funny-pictures-portal-to-hell.jpg

PEOPLE, CHECK THE EARLIER PAGES OF THE 'POST PICS OF YOUR SABERS HERE' TOPIC TO SEE AMBO'S ONE!!!!! IT IS THE ULTIMATE TONFA!!!!!!!

Hasid Lafre
04-16-2008, 12:56 PM
*steels pic*

Barmic Rin
04-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Thought you'd like that one.

Hasid, since you rarely leave the forums, can you remember where abouts Ambo's tonfa was? How cool was that badboy!!??!!!

Hasid Lafre
04-16-2008, 01:03 PM
I know thers pics of it in the misc saber picture thread. I know that for sure but what I dident like about it wasthe end guard pointy looking thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PxRBhuW44E

Barmic Rin
04-16-2008, 01:05 PM
I liked the fork, most other Tonfa end up looking abit phallic. plus Ambo is a scary looking sod, so i'll never say a bad word about him! LOL!

Hasid Lafre
04-16-2008, 01:06 PM
I got a design floating around.

But its gonna stay in my head cause I got alot of other stuff to work out before I can finalize the design.

jpbeck
04-16-2008, 03:58 PM
I promise that if you walk up to a cop that has a t-handle baton--- and ask him what it's called...he'll tell you it's a PR-24.

Hasid Lafre
04-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Ys know I did a wiki search for this pr24 and all I get is result for a club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_%28weapon%29

But yet the only thing I find on pr24 is the only time that name is used is law inforcement so anywhere else that name dosent exist.

I still stand by my words, its a type of tonfa.

http://indianama.com/osCommerce/images/tonfa1.jpg
http://thediagram.com/2_4/pr24_nom.jpg

Sure looks like a tonfa to me.

DDanDevious
04-17-2008, 08:21 AM
all this talk is making me want to build a pair of those... damn!

would be sweet to duel with a pair of tonfa sabers! Id probably end up whacking myself in the face though for sure.

DDD!

Ghostbat
04-17-2008, 10:01 AM
all this talk is making me want to build a pair of those... damn!

would be sweet to duel with a pair of tonfa sabers! Id probably end up whacking myself in the face though for sure.

DDD!

Funny story there :)

When we turned 18 a friend of mine and I went into chinatown in san francisco to get tattoos. Well upon discovering how much they cost we decided to arm ourselves instead :)

I picked up a pair of Sai (I still have them to this day, about 3" too short for me but look great stuck haphazardly into the mess behind my bar) and he picked up a pair of tonfa.

Back at home we proceed to start trying to work out tricks to do with them. In short order I got the hang of the cool "hit a tree with the pommel then quickly reverse to the point and strike a dorky pose" he rapidly worked out "whip around in a tight arc and nearly break own elbow."

Good times, good times.

Hasid Lafre
04-17-2008, 10:03 AM
3" so short. if they have to extend about an inch past your elbow.

DDanDevious
04-17-2008, 10:18 AM
...rapidly worked out "whip around in a tight arc and nearly break own elbow."

Good times, good times.

oooh yeh, thats a sweet move!

the ladies love it.

DDD!

Darth Leximus
04-17-2008, 01:45 PM
I love where this thread is going.

Drichar Deis
04-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Ive got a pair of Sai too, perfect length for me, i pick them up and have a twirl when im bored, good for finger dexterity.

jpbeck
04-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Not that it matters-- but I think there is something wrong with your search engine if you only came up with that one obscure link. :)

Results 1 - 100 of about 307,000 for pr24. (0.42 seconds)

http://www.google.com/search?q=pr24&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=DVFA,DVFA:1970--2,DVFA:en

You say tomato I say tomato.

Ghostbat
04-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Well in defense of the term "Tonfa Saber" they were called Tonfa for a long time before they got a police-equipment-designation-ID-thingy (that may not be the technical term there)

Somehow I think the Okinawans didn't call them 'pr24' 200 to 400 years ago :)

jpbeck
04-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Good point. :)