PDA

View Full Version : FX construction set board

sekrogue1985
04-14-2008, 12:07 PM
I've been sitting around lately with nothing to do and looking at the innards of the FX construction set and have been wondering if i could run a single LED off that board. THe only real part I like about this board is the fact it has the two sound banks but the who tri led is not my think. Yes i think it is cool and all but i just want to run a silver lux III out of it and mount it a lego lightsaber hilt. A hilt that looks like the lightsabers that you get when ya buy some star wars legos. School is coming to an end and i'm thinking of working on a hilt like that.

Darth_DevilGuy
04-14-2008, 12:53 PM
you can run it, but it won't be super impressive, it'll look about the same brightness as it does standard, or maybe a little brighter. I'm working on a saber using corbin's driver and a red-o lux III, with a 616 for sound.

DarthFender
04-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah, if you can get a driver, that's definitely the way to go. O know the corbin board in its current configuration has gone bye bye. Marsupial is working on an add-on dimmer, but it won regulate the current. I would look into getting a puck and run the whole setup on two circuits controlled by a DPDT switch. But, yeah. I like that board, for a MR.

Hasid Lafre
04-14-2008, 07:27 PM
That thing mars is workingon is for the normal Mr boards like the vader, maul, and others of that design.

Not sure if he said it will work for all versions of mr boards or not.

DarthFender
04-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Not to hijack too much....

Mars' board will not regulate the current from the MR board on any model it just forwards what the mr board sends. So the Max current will still be the output of the sw-616 board. IT will be way underwhelming for a LuxIII, but you could probably run a short bladed Lux 1W. It would give all the cool shimering and flickering effects. And it will sync the poweon/poweroff with the soundboard.

Hasid Lafre
04-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Some luxIs still kick butt

Ghostbat
04-16-2008, 12:35 PM
In my opinion you can get an acceptable brightness right off the board. It won't be as bright as it could be by far, and for many people that's a showstopper, but it's all about how bright you need/want it to be. I have an annakin board driving a LUX and it compares quite well to the original MR blade and gets a lot of 'wow' responses.

That being said my next two sabers will be Puck driven until I can get driver boards of some description.

darthdan
04-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, i had a K2 Royal blue run off of a Vader board at 6v and it worked fine and was about as bright as it is now just direct drive...

DarthFender
04-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Darthdan and Ghostbat,

No offense, but Did you read the Title of this thread. He wants to use the SW-616 board. That will be extremely dim with a LuxIII. You can only drive a 1w LED direct from that board, unless you like dim.

Ghostbat
04-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Darthdan and Ghostbat,

No offense, but Did you read the Title of this thread. He wants to use the SW-616 board. That will be extremely dim with a LuxIII. You can only drive a 1w LED direct from that board, unless you like dim.

No offense taken of course, if we were all always right and always agreed where would the fun be?

I haven't driven directly off the Joe Jedi yet (I'm only using them as sound boards) so you may very well have a point. I think I have been assuming it put out the same power as other MR boards and I have a Lux 3 running off the Annakin (from an Ultrasabers conversion kit) and while yes it is dim compared to what that LED is capable of it is still pretty satisfying.

If it is a lower output board then things may well be quite different.