PDA

View Full Version : The Jedi Code.

Pullo
04-13-2008, 04:21 PM
There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
(There is no chaos: there is harmony)
There is no death; there is the force.

Is it just me or does, "there is no emotion" feel more like it should be about Vulcans rather than Jedi. The Jedi don't seem to be portayed in any of the films as emotionless, emotionally unattached yes, seeing as attachment allegedly leads to the darkside that is understandable. They control their emotions, don't give in to anger etc but to say their is no emotion seems to me to be out of sync with what we know of the Jedi. They are brought up to care for the well being of others and "trust your Feeling>>" whats a feeling if not a form of emotion. Does anyone know where this code started?

I bet it came from Mr Lucas himself in which case I will just shut up.

ArkaiHalon
04-13-2008, 04:55 PM
The code is often misinterpreted. It means to ACT with no emotion, but with peace. to quote yoda, when you are calm, at peace. To act from emotion (any emotion) can lead to dire consequences.

Nightwing
04-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Honestly, the entire Jedi code is kind of silly in that sense. It's exactly what Anakin pointed out in AOTC: Jedi are taught to be compassionate, and have unconditional love towards others (as opposed to romantic love). That's flawed logic, however, since a total detachment from emotion would mean a lack of compassion, and no personal attachment would mean no friendships, and many Jedi (including Yoda himself) had very close attachments to their friends (as evidenced by Yoda's intense emotional reaction to the death of the Jedi during the execution of Order 66).

Luke basically found the right path when he created the New Jedi Order. He married Mara Jade, and as stated in the book Survivor's Quest, Luke felt through the Force that being in a relationship with her was the right thing. That was likely the flaw in the Old Jedi Order's way of thinking: their philosophy was filled with circular logic, and was essentially "out of balance". It was basically religion for the sake of religion, with no real rhyme or reason other than simply being the established rules of the time. It wasn't until Anakin brought the Force back into balance--by basically killing off everyone and having his offspring start things off the right way--that the Jedi philosophy actually worked. Oddly, however, the NJO still quoted the original code, despite the fact that they obviously didn't follow it.

EDIT:
Wookiepedia says this:
Emotions are a natural part of living. As the great sagas have shown us, Jedi are not immune to feeling emotions. Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and Master Yoda both openly express their sorrow when they discover the death of younglings at the newly-appointed Darth Vader's hand. This tenet is not to say that emotion does not exist but that it ought to be set aside. Emotions must be understood first, and it is a young Jedi's duty to explore his feelings. Unless a Jedi can confront his thoughts and feelings, he will never achieve peace. Emotions, then, are not to be overcome or denied, but rather understood and dealt with. A'Sharad Hett reminds the young Anakin Skywalker of this during their campaigns together during the Clone Wars. Hett points out that Anakin's anger is understandable, but he must face it. This tenet could be modified to read "Emotion cannot take away my peace."

DARTH KALEL
04-13-2008, 11:55 PM
It's the same as the sith code from that game though, it is left up to the interpretation of the reader student, that's why i always liked yoda in the books because he always stated he was a student of the Force, and not a student of Jedi, this was his representation of what he thought to be, as I always understood.

Pullo
04-14-2008, 12:44 PM
A point well made Nightwing. It just struck me as odd, and didn't seem to fit with the Films. More like something mr Spock Would say.