PDA

View Full Version : LED bargraph

SWAT Strachan
04-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Now bearing in mind that my electronic abilities rate about as highly as G Dubya Bush's IQ score, I was thinking about 'cheating' a bit when designing a bargraph display for my future saber, to avoid having to do too much soldering and mounting. I had this in mind...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=2128&doy=13m4#spec

Now my question is this: I have already worked out that the LEDs will need a 170Ω resistor to run on a 7.2v battery pack, but would I need to wire a resistor to each LED individually, or could I link all the negatives together and just use the one? I also thought about using the outer two LEDs as power indicators, and linking the middle LEDs in pairs for use as the bargraph (as with Erv's Infensus), but again, how would I have to wire the resistors? I'm a bit stumped.

Considering how much of a scramble there will be for the CF4s when they are released, I don't want to risk blowing it to pieces should I be lucky enough to get one!

eastern57
04-13-2008, 02:39 PM
"per segment", so, yes, you'd have to figure each as a seperate LED.

Blinking, sequencing, power indicating... all those functions are characteristic of CF. The CF was what made all the cool effects. To do that without the CF or any other driver would be "challenging" to say the least.

Yes, the bargraph is an easy way to string together 10 LEDs, but really... that's all it is: just 10 LEDs.

SWAT Strachan
04-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks for that. It's fully my intention to get my hands on one of the new v4 CF boards, and that's why I asked about the resistors. I have a design in mind for a rather large saber, and I want it to have all the bells and whistles that the CF board can provide, I just thought that the LED module might save me a little hassle with the wiring (no need to mount the LEDs individually). I've been looking through the manual for the v3 boards since I posted my question, and I think I'm gradually starting to understand how it all bolts together... Although I still find it hard to believe that all that electronic wizardry can fit inside an MHS hilt!

jpbeck
04-13-2008, 06:23 PM
I'd give you some advice but it'd be about as useful as the Queen of England.

eastern57
04-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Although I still find it hard to believe that all that electronic wizardry can fit inside an MHS hilt!

It took many, many, MANY heads over the years to do that...

I sometimes feel like the scientists from jurassic park: I didn't do the work to get here, I just reap the benefits...

Malaki Skywalker
04-14-2008, 12:00 AM

ROFL :lol::lol::lol:

TroyO
04-15-2008, 12:37 PM

Hey, ya never know... Queenie might have mad soldering skillz! '-P

Malaki Skywalker
04-15-2008, 01:02 PM
I've just purchased 4 of these off eBay, I'll yet you all know if they are worth it or not ;) Though they are pretty wide at 10mm

Drichar Deis
04-15-2008, 01:52 PM

GRRRR!

Leave our Queen alone!

She does a cool little wave with her hand that can deflect force lightning!

ha ha ;)

SWAT Strachan
04-15-2008, 02:54 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/swat.strachan/HRH.jpg

May the Force be with one :D

Novastar
04-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Goes perfectly with her ensemble.

So fashion-conscious. :)

Angelus Lupus
04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
The Good ol' Queen Mum was obviously strong in the force... Or that might just have been down to making time to enjoy gambling and drinking real ales :)
Either way: When 100 years old you reach, look as good you will not.