PDA

View Full Version : RGBY LED , ya thats red green blue yellow led with optics

LeMoel
04-13-2008, 12:27 AM
k i found this led on a german website and it claims to be a RED BLUE GREEN YELLOW led and its has optics 22 degree's

gelb= yellow german/english "however" gelb can also mean amber, and theres a single gelb led also 170 lumes

first the RGBY led

http://www.pur-led.de/product_info.php?info=p981_NEU--ACULED-VHL-RGBY-Highpower-LED-1W-4-CHIP-170-Lumen.html

so called yellow led
http://www.pur-led.de/product_info.php?info=p1003_ACULED-VHL-gelb--599nm-Highpower-LED-1W-4-CHIP-170-Lumen-.html

the thing that boggles my mind is if it is actually amber then why would they put a amber led in a RGB led??? makes no sense but yellow does

DarthFender
04-13-2008, 07:17 AM
To my way of thinking, neither yellow or amber make any sense as you can get both of those colors with a RGB. I guess that's just My Opinion.

Novastar
04-13-2008, 07:25 AM
I've seen those "quad" LEDs before... not exactly the same ones, but... yes.

As to the Yellow/Amber--well, it depends on the amount of lumens being at least SOMEwhat close, but... just everyone look at this:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/colored_shadows.html

It might help people understand whether or not they'd want to mess with an RGB+Y LED.

DarthFender
04-13-2008, 07:31 AM
I see what you mean, if you want a brighter yellow/amber turn up green and red until you get a bright yellow then turn up the amber for more lumen?

I never thought of it like that.

LeMoel
04-13-2008, 07:49 AM
hmm thats kind of good news to get a real yellow,butt the filtered yellow is already good also

DarthFender
04-13-2008, 08:20 AM
All a "Yellow" filter does is filter out the blue light from a white source. Human eye tends to see blue dimmer anyway, so it's kinda like taking out the garbage. You're just left with the two colors we are most sensitive to, mixed together. I imagine that if you were to turn one of these buggars up on full red+green+amber, it would be brighter than setting it to full white and using a filter.

Hasid Lafre
04-13-2008, 08:52 AM
I dont know about that, I think your gonna end up with a light orange.

DARTH KALEL
04-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah but as the light orange recieves more lumen, it will turn yellow.
The only problem with this design is the yellow is usually the highest lumen when the blue needs to be, same basic idea as an overhead projector. Either way if you get too much green or red your colors will never be great, and forget yellow. I have a few desktop RGB units that came out of some old mitsubishi floor projectors, they are pretty easy to work with, but you never really get off colors to show up really well. all RGB sabers i've seen only get a few good colors and that really depends on whether the owner likes certain hues or not. but as for a good true orange or yellow, have not seen yet. Or even a good cyan. Yellow in the hue gives about 6 more color ranges and allows for "filtering" better so your greens are outstanding and can even get viridian, and your orange and yellows are great too. i've seen these models in other things, but yet in a lightsaber, plus they are bright but nowhere near as bright as a regular LED but about the same as all the other RGB. But now I am trying to use mulitiple LEDs to do the same affect with the right switches and resistors But as in LED tech 4 colors is quick becoming the standard, as you will see when the new LED projection TVs start coming out, plus we will see some true 1000 lumen LEDs that run cool here in a month or so. PHILLIPS innovation with MITSUBISHI and PIONEER.

Plus it's much easier to combine LEDs to make the colors you seek, IE red and blue together to make purple and then resist to get the proper hue and vice versa. The Japanese and German sabersmiths are way ahead of us in the electronics area. check out some of them, they are a little hard to find but I got a buddy in tokyo and he sends me links ever so often I will try to post a few. but they got purple down pat, and the premade optics.

LeMoel
04-13-2008, 08:26 PM
hmmm thats interesting, so are u saying, say buy a blue k2 and a weak red k2 then combine them to make a great purple?

but how do you mix them and optics and such?

I'm almost thinking of attempting what graven did with the clear epoxy

DARTH KALEL
04-14-2008, 12:28 AM
yeah i am still working on the right mix but it's alot better than what's out there now, a little dificult to wire and some more heat than normal but nothing that will transfer to your hand, a little more shielding for the wires but after that it's not bad at all, then I use a violet tinted piece of glass to kinda blend.