PDA

View Full Version : What method could I use to difuse light outside the blade?

Jonny1983
04-12-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm working on a sword from a Manga/Anime (called Bleach). The weapon has an energy blade that glows blue.

The blade is powered by a MR Lightsaber LED string that I bought from someone on the internet.
The blade itself is made from transparent acrylic sandwiched together, with space in the middle for the LED string.
The LED string was wrapped in as much cloudy cellophane as I could and stuffed into the blade.
I then sanded the blade to difuse the light more.

But in daylight you can still make out the LEDs, so I was wondering what more could I do to the outside of the blade to disfuse the light more.

The blade currently has 90 degree edges, but I was thinking of bevelling them, but this would take a long time.

Here's a picture of it so far, but please note the picture was taken at night, so the LEDs are less obvious.
http://www.ctu-clan.co.uk/Jonathan/WIP1.jpg

Here's a Viewpoint 3D model I made showing the sword partly exploded.
Click here (http://www.ctu-clan.co.uk/DA/SeeleSchneider-PartExploded.html)

Hasid Lafre
04-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Not sure how to help ya but damn thats a nice looking blade.

LeMoel
04-12-2008, 08:42 PM
i wouldnt plan on dueling with that

eastern57
04-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Maybe wax paper (?)... Just a thought, never tested, but it has the properties that one would consider to be "diffusion"... plus you can add more layers if need be...

Darth_DevilGuy
04-12-2008, 09:19 PM
who's zanpakto is that supposed to be? I'd think rukia's but I can't remember exactly what it looks like?

Jonny1983
04-13-2008, 04:48 AM
It's not going to be a duelling blade, it's just for looks.

I'm not sure about wax paper, wouldn't that be easy to rub off?

who's zanpakto is that supposed to be? I'd think rukia's but I can't remember exactly what it looks like?

LOLZ, got another Bleach fan I see. It's going to be Seele Schneider, that bladed arrow Uryu uses.
That handle is going to be silver and it's missing one or two details which I'll put on later.

What about a very thin layer of spray paint? I've got some blue acrylic paint which I can water down and use with an air brush.
I might try it on some spare pieces or acrylic I have.

Hasid Lafre
04-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Wax paper? Cureious, theres alot of that at my house(moms a baker). how well would it work in a rebular lux blade? I got a thinwalled blade I need to work on and theres alot of wax paper round here. but iam cureious if it will work any good to give it a shot befor ei ruin a lot of my mums wax paper.

DarthFender
04-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Wax paper does not work as well as you'd think. It's a little too opaque, so where it overlaps in the blade you get a serious black line. If you thought the seem in a "Corbin" blade was bad... Wax paper is 10 times worse. I think I'll stick with Corbin film and Cellophane.

Hasid Lafre
04-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Well my corbin film is ruined cause it got crinkled when I ws dueling a while back so I must find a new diffusion plan for the thinwalled blade. thinking about finding some type of nylon that will fit snug in the thinwalled blades.

xwingband
04-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Well my corbin film is ruined cause it got crinkled when I ws dueling a while back so I must find a new diffusion plan for the thinwalled blade. thinking about finding some type of nylon that will fit snug in the thinwalled blades.

Just get 7/8" OD nylon... it's doable.

For the OP, if you sanded it there isn't much left to do. It sound like you don't have the foam or the white diffuser that came with it... that's what is holding you up. The MR blade has those two to disguise the individual LEDs.

Jonny1983
04-14-2008, 01:11 AM
I've found some glass frosting spray paint. A couple layers of this should help, I've tested it on some spare acrylic and it doesn't look half bad.
A few layers should build up.

thejedilestat
04-14-2008, 03:33 AM
u could try a few layers of tracing paper over the leds that could help