PDA

View Full Version : Question about green led's

vortextwist
04-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Right now I am using a green lux III in my MHS with a CF 3.0. While I'm driving the led at 1.5 (max) I beleive. Which of the current leds will give me a brighter blade, I do realize the type of blade and film play a part but I can't keep up with all the new stuff and don't wan't to buy several led's to get the brightest one possible.

eastern57
04-12-2008, 04:42 PM
The lux3s greens hit their max at about 1 amp, maybe a little more, K2s are 1.5 amps. I've actually had better results with a lux3 vice K2 with my cf. I have a green seoul p4 on the way, I'll let you know what I think when I throw it in. It's rated at 180+ lumens, so I'm expecting good things.

vortextwist
04-12-2008, 05:11 PM
excellent. Are you stationed at the base over there?

Novastar
04-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Vortex, technically you can overdrive the Lux III from 1000ma (norm) to 1500ma (over-drive). It doesn't really improve the brightness so much compared to overdriving a Lux V.

A K2 Green is 1500ma (norm). I've never tried over-driving a K2... mainly because I have never had a driver setup that exceeds 1.5A. :)

A Lux V is brightness at the cost of having a fairly monumental forward voltage (6.85v). If you're driving it... I would not recommend anything less than 9v. In fact, 11.1v (10.8 rated) would probably be good.

vortextwist
04-12-2008, 07:04 PM
ya and that's about where I'm at voltage wise, I only have a 7.2 pack and the 1 lux V I had didn't end well so I kind of lost my taste for them. lol. I'm just likeing the green better now that it's got some brightness to it. I just wan't to try and get brighter. (don't we all)

xwingband
04-12-2008, 07:37 PM
To me the V and Rebel are pretty tied. In my mind I like the Rebel simply for voltage and 7.2V isn't just barely enough, it's execive.

The Seoul P4 Green is rated for 180 lumens... in my opinion that's the biggest load of BS ever, It sucked, again SUCKED!

eastern57
04-12-2008, 09:20 PM
The Seoul P4 Green is rated for 180 lumens... in my opinion that's the biggest load of BS ever, It sucked, again SUCKED!

dawgonnit... money well spent...

Sohryu76
04-12-2008, 11:06 PM
dawgonnit... money well spent...
i know this thread is for Green LEDs...
but I just wanted to say, I found a site with 5 Bin 1 Cyan LEDs in stock... im ordering a couple...

Hasid Lafre
04-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Well my brother changed out his luxIII green for a k2 green and I dont notice any difference at all between the 2. same CF settings same blade. fresh charge and all that other jazz.

I just dont see that 20 lumen extra difference.

xwingband
04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Well my brother changed out his luxIII green for a k2 green and I dont notice any difference at all between the 2. same CF settings same blade. fresh charge and all that other jazz.

I just dont see that 20 lumen extra difference.

What in the world did you expect? The K2 would mirror a III until you drive it harder.

Hasid Lafre
04-17-2008, 12:19 PM
The luxIII was over driven so it was in the same settings for the k2.

xwingband
04-17-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm still not suprised.

Hasid Lafre
04-17-2008, 12:31 PM
So then to me an overdriven luxIII is the same as a normally driven k2.

Guess all my bro can do now is get a luxV.

eastern57
04-17-2008, 08:39 PM
If you refer back to my p4 vs k2 thread, the seoul p4 uses less current, even though it's technically "over driven" by about 200mA, but you can judge quality for yourself.

Also, using the max current (1.5amps) on the k2 will produce less heat than a lux3. And if you actually display a k2 next to a lux3, there is a slight difference - a disapointing difference, but a difference...

LeMoel
04-18-2008, 03:42 AM
I will tell you my experience with green leds......

First of all I feel that there are two basic color green's out there.. There's Lime green AND a darker green of leds, both are nice.So two classified category's.

Note: i feel that the Lime green leds look most like the movies but this subject can really vary its just my opinon remember.

LUXEON REBEL : this is by no dout the brightest green led i've seen,it can be ran on 1000 ma and it can reach 175 lumens aproximatley, its just an amazing led, and can be ran at low voltage 3 volts! its the most efficient, i bought it from http://www.led-tech.de/en/index.html its on a PCB and is really great.However you have to order it from germany because of that store being the only PCB that I know of for easy soldering,soon i feel it will be in the states.If not already. (classifed lime green)

LUXEON 5 watt: This Led is bright and isn' too far from the luxeon rebel in brightness, however it is a different type of green that is still popular. The crappy part is the "high volt" requirements .... (classified Darker green)

SEOUL P4: Now first of all 182 lumens is a lie, this led is decently bright but only a little brighter than the k2.The voltage is good.(Classified darker green)

LUXEON K2: this led is very good i feel, its decent voltage and good brightness. The voltage is decent. I think it was the best at one time. and is available at tim's store for easy ordering.(Classified Lime green)

LUXEON 3 WATT: Lowest brightness i've seen, still decent led tho.

FILTER/Seoul p4 white or Atlas white: these two high lumen white leds make for good filtering and can make a good lime green or different variant of greens with lee filters "jas green" is a good one.But i feel that the "real" colors from the leds are usually the fullest blades.But some filter work quite well.

DO CLO'S RAHM KOTA SABER : this is a great example of where the lux 5 watt works great and looks great for, it really matches rahms saber more than I feel the lime greens would.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/Do-Clo/Kota-Katarn_Komparison_01.jpg

LUX K2 example
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-8/1273113/PICT2463.JPG

LUX 3 Example
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7112/dsc01150abex1.jpg

P4 vs K2 Comparison (there's no flash in these pictures) P4 top / K2 bottom

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/Misc/noflash.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/Misc/fireworks.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/Misc/twilight.jpg

Remember that all these pictures have different types of blades used, i suggest "ervs" style blade.

NOW this is just my opinon other people may not agree but I hop this helps you

Hasid Lafre
04-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Your getting into binning, these 2 leds are the same bin.

Look I can tell no difference between the 2, if someone told it was was an over driven luxIII I would beleave them.

LeMoel
04-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Hey I know this is a topic for green leds, but ya know what after my experiments with low and high bin rebels i think the Luxeon rebel red might match the lux 3 red

has anyone tried a luxeon rebel red? xwing?

vortextwist
04-18-2008, 06:48 PM
I havn't heard or seen anyone use a red rebel, could be interesting. Eastern, got the led, thanks a ton! would there be a way to get more power to the k2 using ervs board?

LeMoel
04-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Hey vortextwist I see you got the Green k2 thats a good choice i think you will be pleased. but just to let you know i tried out my high bin 2nd green rebel and wow you have to try one of these when you get a chance, its awesome

Hasid Lafre
04-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Theres a rebel in his qui gonn but it really needs to be machined to a 1" blade.

LeMoel
04-18-2008, 09:14 PM
if you have seen a rebel then you might be disapointed with the K2,depending on the bin of the rebel u had

eastern57
04-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Eastern, got the led, thanks a ton! would there be a way to get more power to the k2 using ervs board?

no problem. And sorry, but I had my cf maxed (current=70) and I didn't get nearly enough out of that k2 to please me... and I'm sure, because I have (had) two green k2s - same results with both.

Not to say I pawned it off on you, but I'm used to the deep, rich lux3 r/o, and that was just too disappointing. That P4 comes a little closer, but eh... still not quite...