PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Sith Robes

Drichar Deis
04-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Want! Badly!

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/sidrioswin/dark-auction-6.gif

Vazan Maceu
04-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah, looks really nice. Caught a glimpse of that one and the jedi ones a while ago on ebay, and they surely look way better than most than Iīve seen. Wouldnīt mind getting one for myself, either :D

sfer1
04-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't think their robes are worth $125 + shipping. They aren't custom made for the customer nor really screen accurate. Plus, flannel fabric is relatively inexpensive. Similar robes usually cost around $70.

Vazan Maceu
04-12-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't think their robes are worth $125 + shipping. They aren't custom made for the customer nor really screen accurate. Plus, flannel fabric is relatively inexpensive. Similar robes usually cost around $70.

As far as I know, the best ones are made of wool, arenīt they? Iīve got some patterns to try to make one myself, but my sewing skills are limited to fixing shirt buttons and the like :p

sfer1
04-12-2008, 06:02 PM
It's hard to answer that question. I'd say that if you find the right wool fabric, then yes, wool robes are the best.

Some people don't like them though, because wool robes are usually heavy and very warm.

They're also more expensive. A wool robe costs around $180 to $220. Mostly, because wool costs 3 times more than flannel and it's harder to sew.

It's not easy to make a good robe if you aren't a skilled seamstress.

BlackDOG
04-24-2008, 01:57 PM
It's hard to answer that question. I'd say that if you find the right wool fabric, then yes, wool robes are the best.

Some people don't like them though, because wool robes are usually heavy and very warm.

They're also more expensive. A wool robe costs around $180 to $220. Mostly, because wool costs 3 times more than flannel and it's harder to sew.

It's not easy to make a good robe if you aren't a skilled seamstress.

Mine is heavy wool and I would not trade it for flannel. I just LOOKS right. You can find fabric on sale at times. Check the web and such. My wool cost $85.00. I had bought a moderate sewing machine at Wal Mart for $75.00 to do up a costume for the kids last year. Even with my my WM sewing machine (Brother) I was able to do it pretty close to right.

In fact, the thickness of the wool made it easier to sew, because the seams held their shape and place so easily. New needles don't hurt either.

I'll be glad to give youa in and out of all this....just PM me.

Drichar Deis
04-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Hmm, got one on the way from Jedi-Robe for ukj hopefully, but I might definetly take you up on that offer in the future when i do a proper one.

BlackDOG
04-25-2008, 09:44 AM
I am not pushing everyone going out a doing one themselves. The point I was hoping to make is that in ORDER to get QUALITY, your going to have to go the same route we all did with the sabers...DO IT YOURSELF or HAVE IT DONE.

I was waaaaay dissapointed in all the stuff I saw for sale. Flimsy, Hugh Hefner-looking robes...all that was needed was a little matching fabric belt and slippers!

Then you get the karate gi route. I have seen some good looking costumes online made this way......but you really have to work to make it look good.

I not totally happy with my set up. I have cheapo boots (for saber you spend credits, not for boots to walk out of trouble......troubling this is!) and my belt is similarly hacked together. Each year I try to update.....this year will be a belt and pouches!

Despite all this, the robe and the saber are the moneyballs......the thing that make even a simple costume great. You fire up a custom saber and no one is looking at your boots. Same is true with the robe. Don that hood and you ARE A JEDI or DARK LORD.

I used a lot of info from Padawan's guide site, including the pic from Williqueen:

http://www.padawansguide.com/robe.shtml

That was my starting point and I read for ages over at TFN.......

ANyhooo, I bet the one you snagged will work and once you get into it.....then you can upgrade. I started with a onasburg(rough cotton fabric) robe that I had to dye in the washing machine (wife, bless her longsuffering heart, HATED THAT :0). AFter that the next robe came together much easier.

bd
aka Old Lady dressmaker

jedi/storm
04-25-2008, 03:01 PM
I have noticed the same prob but although i bought some costumebase stuff it was ok at short notice ( for my wedding) my wife is a great seamstress and am looking at doing good costumes soon Cos it seems that there is a need for them. I do custom figures already (i did Do Clo one to say thanks for the saber he's doing me) and now im looking at doing sabers,costumes and figures

Hasid Lafre
04-25-2008, 03:21 PM
My brother has one of them I beleave. There sizing chart is way the hell off.