PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Seoul man...

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist putting that in the title.:)

I got my white Seoul P4 the other day, and I thought I'd share some pictures.

I'm running it in my brass saber with the two 700 mA parallel pucks, so I'm over driving it by 400 mA. Holy cow, this thing is bright! Not only does it make a good looking saber, but it's a really cool flashlight now too.

In these pictures, I put the camera in manual mode, and kept all the settings and conditions the same. I tried to get the pictures as close to accurate as I could.

Here it is compared to my green K2. It looks slightly blue due to the color of the carpet. I should have put them on a white sheet or something. Oh well, next time.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/Seoul_1.jpg

Here it is next to my royal blue Lux III with a resistor.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/Seoul_2.jpg

I wanted to make this a yellow blade, so I cut a 1" disk out of an old pair of yellow ski goggles to make a filter. I really like this color. It's exactly what I wanted. I thought that I would have to do a lot of experimenting to find the right filter, but I hit the nail on the head on the first try.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/Seoul_3.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot to tell about the blade. It's a 1" thick wall with a double wrap of Corbin's film and 5' of cellophane inside of that.

eastern57
04-09-2008, 07:55 PM
ooh! That's a great yellow - very Tales of the Jedi or KOTOR

DARTH KALEL
04-09-2008, 08:00 PM
wow that yellow looks awesome, looks like the seoul is a bright little piece.

37H4N
04-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Nice! I never would have thought to do that for a filter. Gotta get me one of those LEDs sometime.

Darth_DevilGuy
04-10-2008, 12:34 AM
the brightness on that thing is nuts, I wonder if one of those with a lee filter would make a bright purple?

Hasid Lafre
04-10-2008, 03:16 AM
looks awsome

DDanDevious
04-10-2008, 04:48 AM
yikes! that is super bright!

you should build a quick blade release so you can blind the hell out of your opponents with the led then whack them about the head while they cant see. hehehehe.

very nice.

DDD

xl97
04-10-2008, 07:21 AM
love it..

Im also looking to get a white p4.. where did you order yours from? Fast delivery?

Thanks

Sethski
04-10-2008, 07:52 AM
They look really bright, and the yellow is spot on. That's so cool that you the first thing you tried was just right :cool:

Are the comparison blades the same type?

DARTH KALEL
04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
yeah no doubt for me it's usually like the 10th try that I get it right, but you gave me a great idea for the future, thank you.
That yellow would look great in my superman saber.

Novastar
04-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Obi-Dar, they all look great regardless of the following, but... is your camera giving what you would say is a pretty good representation or is it "blaring/flaring" the light due to overexposure and the like?

I mean, as I said--they're going to be bright regardless, and the Seoul is probably super great... but--really? They look like the photos in real life? :)

xwingband
04-10-2008, 03:03 PM
sigh... I wish people would catch on faster. These things do rock.

Hasid Lafre
04-10-2008, 03:22 PM
We would catch on alot faster if tim sold them :P

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Obi-Dar, they all look great regardless of the following, but... is your camera giving what you would say is a pretty good representation or is it "blaring/flaring" the light due to overexposure and the like?

I mean, as I said--they're going to be bright regardless, and the Seoul is probably super great... but--really? They look like the photos in real life? :)

To be honest, they may be over exposed a little, but it's pretty close. My main intent was to show a relative comparison of the different LEDs with the camera settings consistent. I felt that the way I took the pictures showed this the best.

For the sake of truth in advertising, I'll take some more pictures and try to get them as close to realistic as possible.

Cool?

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
OK. I futzed* around with my camera, and I think I got these as close to accurate as I can. This time I put them on a white towel, and had normal ambient lighting in the room.

In the top picture, I forgot to turn off the flash, so the blades are obviously over exposed, but I posted the picture anyway, because it still shows the extreme contrast between them.

The bottom picture is as close as I could get to the way they look in reality.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/Seoul_4.jpg

*That's weird. The word "futzed" wasn't flagged by the automatic spell checker in Firefox.

LeMoel
04-11-2008, 01:22 AM
i think that looks pretty acurate to the other pictures too, and ive done alot of experimenting with filters and atlas leds

how bright is the p4 in lumens?

Hasid Lafre
04-11-2008, 04:13 AM
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/futzed

Marsupial
04-11-2008, 07:59 AM
I have a cree Q5, which I believe to be similar to the SSC P4... unless someone can tell me how different they are. Deal Extreme states the Cree Q5 outputs 220 lumens at 1A.

I had to put my camera in "fireworks" mode in order to be able to take pictures. Brightness is awesome. on those pictures: Cree XR-E Q5 with oklahoma yellow lee filter, driven at 1A by a Mars Tech Driver with an thick ultrablade

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/darthKodius/props/100_2946-.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/darthKodius/props/100_2940.jpg

the picture representation is pretty representative of what you see in real life.

Hasid Lafre
04-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Mars in the first pic I can see the blades wall and the blade film, What kinda camera do you have?

Marsupial
04-11-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean, unless you're pointing out we see the "core" being whither where the film is, and the "glow" being yellower where the wall of the blade is.??

My camera is a Kodak Z740
http://www.review-shop.com/Kodak_Z740/Kodak_Z740_Review.html

there are 2 nice settings for saber pictures: the fireworks and the moonlight portrait.
its a slow exposure, and my driver does shimmering. Maybe it has impact on the end result.?

Darth_DevilGuy
04-11-2008, 09:11 AM
in that first pic it's actually possible to discern where the blade film is in the blade, which is unusual.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-11-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean, unless you're pointing out we see the "core" being whither where the film is, and the "glow" being yellower where the wall of the blade is.??

My camera is a Kodak Z740
http://www.review-shop.com/Kodak_Z740/Kodak_Z740_Review.html

there are 2 nice settings for saber pictures: the fireworks and the moonlight portrait.
its a slow exposure, and my driver does shimmering. Maybe it has impact on the end result.?

I have the same camera. I have never tried those settings to take saber pictures. Because it doesn't have image stabilization, I usually put it in manual mode and use the quickest shutter speed I can, and adjust the aperture from there.

strengthofrage
04-11-2008, 11:07 AM
I have a P4 and a set of the filters from the shop. The P4 is really bright driven the same as Obi-Dar's but mine didn't work well with the filter discs from the shop. I am really tempted to go to wally world in search of something to use similar to what Obi-Dar did. The P4 is really bright IMO.

Obi-Dar, that color is fantastic :)

xl97
04-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Are there any pics of the P4 using Lee Filters? Seeing that most peopel have stated or commented on how BRIGHT these are... Im assuming it drowns out the lighter colors more now?

I also seem to remember reading that using the darker Lee Filters just werent that bright.. with the P4's will these be more acceptable to use now? (ie: brightening the darker Lee Filter colors now to make them look good)

I have several packs of Lee Filters Ive been waiting to try...

Marsupial
04-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I have the same camera. I have never tried those settings to take saber pictures. Because it doesn't have image stabilization, I usually put it in manual mode and use the quickest shutter speed I can, and adjust the aperture from there.

I never managed a nice picture with manual settings. I guess I'm just not used to it?

Atomic
04-11-2008, 02:03 PM
xl97 check here:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=348

The P4s are brighter than the LuxIII whites. You just need to drive them to get them as bright as they can be.

Hasid Lafre
04-11-2008, 02:04 PM
THey have the same specs as a luxIII but almost twice the lumen output of a k2

LeMoel
04-11-2008, 02:26 PM
I dout it will drown out colors at 240 lumens if thats what the p4 is, its in the perfect range, the atlas is 270 and it dosent drown out the brighter colors.

xwingband
04-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I dout it will drown out colors at 240 lumens if thats what the p4 is, its in the perfect range, the atlas is 270 and it dosent drown out the brighter colors.

Well, that's because:

A) Depends on the filtered color (70% purple filter is a heck of a lot different than a 20% Yellow) AND
B) It takes a lot of lumens to make a difference because like most things (hearing for one) we see changes not linear, but logarithmically

xl97
04-11-2008, 02:56 PM
xl97 check here:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=348

The P4s are brighter than the LuxIII whites. You just need to drive them to get them as bright as they can be.

Thanks Atomic..

wow.. some of those pics.. umm.. Im not too impressed I guess..

Im hoping this is BLADE choice as well?

I dislike the mushroom tops.. and the dark in-between the top and bottom..

Im hoping to get one as even a blade as a can.. (seeing some vids by xwing..etc gives me hope) lol

Im also hoping that using a P4 white and driving it or over driving it somewhat will open up some of the darker colors in my Lee Filters book..

Thanks gang

Hasid Lafre
04-11-2008, 03:00 PM
A good majority of the pics in that topic are luxIIIs and k2s. and some dont know how to take a good picture. Granted iam not the greatest when it comes to taking pics but I do my best so the pic isent over or underexposed.

Novastar
04-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Well, that's because:

A) Depends on the filtered color (70% purple filter is a heck of a lot different than a 20% Yellow) AND
B) It takes a lot of lumens to make a difference because like most things (hearing for one) we see changes not linear, but logarithmicallyTotally right, to X you listen folks! :)

And for the record, I wasn't being negative about Obi-Dar's sabers--they look GRRRREEEAAT!!! I was just wondering his thoughts on over-exposure, but... needless to say that is soooo awesome, especially the yellow. And what X has said explains also why yellow is a VERY good filter choice... after all, it's only "stealing" a paltry amount of the light.

I guess one of these days when I learn more about ALL the different LED varieties (Seoul, Luxeon, Cree, etc.) and where and how to get them, I'll play with upgrading the Flange III sabers. As for now, I dunno which ones to get, and am not sure how they'd fit in my sabers... not enough experience! :)

Great stuff Obi-dar... I'm looking forward to seeing more of these kinds of things out there.

Hasid Lafre
04-12-2008, 04:59 AM
I hear the blue cree is really nice. But how it copares to any lux blues I dont know.

LeMoel
04-12-2008, 05:14 AM
yeah x wing your right ,every color is different, because of the brightness it allows many filters not to work as well, but i believe that only certain filter colors are worth using... yellow and purple make good blades,so oranges arent bad either..

plus if you want to make a really unique saber color that nobody has then some lavenders work,some pinks or virdian colors work also.

but i've been trying to stay away from filters especially since our progress with the RGB leds are going quite well.

it seems like the real PURPLE isn't too far from being perfected

example
http://moordakssabers.hopto.org/images/sabers/sabers%20050.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUpPx2VLhr4

And i thin k this is the best real ORANGE i've seen(from do clo's RGB)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/Do-Clo/IM000946.jpg

im not %100 sure about the YELLOW tho cuz the RGB yellow didn't huglely impress me,but the filtered yellow makes a awesome yellow,like urs obi dar

we can probly make other colors like pink and such also but it will just take time experimenting with the RGB. It would be nice if we could make the colors we want from the RGB a little more "efficent" so we can just power it ujp and have our color we want right away but none the less im quite happy with the progress

Hasid Lafre
04-12-2008, 05:15 AM
That last pic was a prolight RGB and the image is over exposed.

LeMoel
04-12-2008, 05:28 AM
yeah i know but there are brighter RGB's outthere like the REBEL RGB (i know ..no optics) but reflectors work well it seems like in gravens video.

Hasid Lafre
04-12-2008, 05:29 AM
and he also put clear epoxy over the led domes to make one solid dome. Now you got to do it right or your gonna ruin the led. Iam gonna wait for the optics that are made for it to come out.

DACOTA
04-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Schweet! I got my p4 yesterday and it is so bright! I love it, and yes I am now a p4 man too.;) Nice pics, I'll have to get some up.:D
I have found that you need to base your filters on the type of led your using regardless of brightness, the light is just different somehow. I did find that a few of the lee filters I already had sucked with my p4 despite the fact that it was as bright if not brighter than my friends k2 on a 1a buckpuck. But most of the filters, especially the blue, worked very well.

LeMoel
04-12-2008, 07:20 PM
yeah i know im quite worried about the clear epoxy work

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-12-2008, 07:36 PM
And for the record, I wasn't being negative about Obi-Dar's sabers--they look GRRRREEEAAT!!! I was just wondering his thoughts on over-exposure, but...

I wasn't offended in the least. I'm glad you called me on it. I don't want to mislead people, and then have them complain because their saber isn't as blindingly bright as the one in my picture.

One thing I wanted to add:

My intention isn't to draw any business away from Tim. That's why I didn't say where I got the LED. If people figure it out for themselves, that's one thing, but I'm not going to go on Tim's site and tell people somewhere else that they can get stuff. I figure that enough people have been talking about the Seoul that a couple more pictures won't make much difference anyway. I guess I just wanted to show off my shiny new toy.

Besides, even if I buy an LED somewhere else, I'm still going to spend 10 times that amount or more at TCSS to build a saber to put it in. As soon as the 1.25" blade holders are in stock, I'm ordering enough parts to build two sabers. I hope Tim will forgive me.

LeMoel
04-12-2008, 08:40 PM
yeah but if we dont say where its offered then how is tim goin to be able to add it 2 the store?

Darth_DevilGuy
04-12-2008, 09:17 PM
it's been talked about elsewhere on this forum, do a thread search.

xl97
04-12-2008, 09:34 PM
if he doesnt offer it.. he doesnt offer it.. ;) not really loosing a sale (per se`) but I understand..

also that is one small piece to the puzzle.. and ther are other pieces (sound boards for example) that he doesnt offer either..

either way.. 95% of the people are going to get the rest of the stuff from Tims store I would imagine.. =)

(and I have to second..when those darned 1.25 blade holders come in...lol. thats at least 2-4 more sabers (hilts) for myself)

LeMoel
04-12-2008, 09:46 PM
dosent matter if he offers it but he may want to if we like it then he makes money and were happy too

DARTH KALEL
04-12-2008, 11:07 PM
I feel you man, but it was great to see that yellow blade cause I am looking at doing a yellow blade here soon, RGB is on hold for a bit and I like the idea of colored discs on a white LED. The last time I tried using filters, I was using polycarb sheeting and cutting it, the poking a small hole in the center allowed for a bright blade and good color transfer, but have never tried them on something so bright.

LeMoel
04-13-2008, 12:10 AM
yeah they are on hold for a bit, and that filtered yellow looks great and ive test that many lumens before, you should get a lee filters swatch book