PDA

View Full Version : Thumbscrew placement...

GrimaOllak
02-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Alrighty, I think I'm in the final design stages, and then I'm ready to assemble this sucker. However, I've researched a lot of the sabers you folks have built with Tim's holder, and I'm seeing the thumbscrew placed in two places: sometimes it's on the "head" portion of the holder, and sometimes it's on the "thorax" (huzzah for insect terms...).

Is there any one placement that ensures better security for the blade, or do they all work just as well?

Strydur
02-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Dont put it too close to the end of the blade but other than that it should be fine anywhere. You might want to install it in the thicker portion of the holder so there is more threads to hold the thumbscrew.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

LAN-ED-TUL
02-17-2006, 11:04 PM
good point tim. i like mine to be in the thicker portion for more area to support the screw.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

archammer2
02-20-2006, 09:18 AM
I put mine on the thinner portion and haven't had a problem with it, aside from my screw being a tad bit lose.

LAN-ED-TUL
02-20-2006, 05:08 PM
yeah, i had it there on one and moved it to the thicker section cuz i didnt like it wobbly like that. kept thinkin it would strip out on me.

steel_darkblade
04-27-2006, 12:26 PM
So... sorry to bring up this topic, but could someone give me a measurement as to how far up from the very top of the emitter should the thumbscrew be placed/tapped/screwed on? I'm not really good with machining stuff, so I'd really appreciate the help!

"All men die, but not all men live... which are you?"

rohgan
04-27-2006, 12:47 PM
The whole point, darkblade, I think, is that you can put it where you like without measuring, so long as the blade is held securely in place by the thumbscrew. You can put it higher up, in the thinner bit, but the screw will feel "wobbly;" or, you can put it in the thicker bit, which will require a bit more work (though not much) but which will be more secure.

LAN-ED-TUL
04-28-2006, 05:59 AM
a good spot on the thicker part for me is just have the edge of the hole drilled and tapped for screw about a 1/8th inch or so from thick to narrower edge.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/LAN-ED-TUL/groupshot.jpg

The Brotherhood Of The Sith