PDA

View Full Version : Rgb

DARTH KALEL
04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Hey guys looking into doing an RGB lightsaber here soon, If anybody has any comments or sugestions I would love to hear them. It's going to go in a MHS hilt. I am looking for lenght of internal space needed and where to get the parts and things like that.
I am going to try to make up a full install diagram and see if I can simplify the process. also looking at different battery configurations and setups, been working with a few rgb projection units lately and want to see if some of the tech they use could help us all out.

Thanks for the replies, I am new to TCSS but not new to the game!!!

LeMoel
04-09-2008, 06:30 PM
um its hard to say, it depends which RGB set up you want to go with , either Rebel RGB or Prolight led- if you use pro light i would resist the red so that you can make a good purple

DARTH KALEL
04-09-2008, 08:03 PM
anybody have any personal experience with these, as to which one is brighter easier to use and so on.

Ghostbat
04-10-2008, 10:45 AM
I have played with the prolight from the Joe Jedi a little. It's not terribly bright but it's usable, pretty forgiving, and can operate with minimal heat sinking (as it is in the Joe Jedi) so it might be a decent choice for a space starved hilt.

The 'Wow' factor of it is on par with my converted Annakin, IE it will impress people who haven't seen how bright a Lux can really get but will get a solid 'meh' from most people here who are constantly trying to push the limits of just how bright you can get.

DARTH KALEL
04-10-2008, 12:45 PM
cool that's really good to know. I want something really bright being that this is going in my custom MHS and I want it to be awesome CF and all so if that helps with suggestions.

Moordak
04-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I've got my Prolight way overdriven and the brightness is still "meh" as Ghostbat said. My friends though think it's awesome. At least until they saw the overdriven Lux V. Still though, there's something to be said for being able to turn the knobs and change the colors. I'll dig up a link to the pots I used in mine if you'd like and the knobs I got for them.

DARTH KALEL
04-10-2008, 01:10 PM
yeah that would be great man thanks

Hasid Lafre
04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
There was someone on here tht did a rgb saber, He recesed the pots and usees a specal thumbscrew that he fassioned to sit in a slot to turn the pots.

It was machined aluminum and had a simple brass shroud on the bladeholder.

I was simple as hell looking and it looked sweet.

Wish I could find it thou. I used to have the images on my photobucket but when I tossed the RGB idea out the window I tossed them pics and wiring diagrams.

If I know that RGB sabers were gonna be a thing to get this big I would of kept the info.

Moordak
04-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Here's the pots:

http://www.newark.com/39K1250/passives/product.us0?sku=VISHAY-SPECTROL-149.SXN48S251SP&_requestid=96732

The knobs I got at Lowe's. They are 8/32 thread brass knurled nuts. I couldn't find them on Lowe's website, but they look something like this:

http://www.accuratescrew.com/CatalogPage.aspx?ProdCat=NUTKNRLTHM

They are in the drawers where they have all the other kinds of nuts and bolts. I'll post a pic later of what they look like together.

Hasid Lafre
04-10-2008, 01:37 PM
I remember his mount that he did.

He put 3 pots on a flat piece of metal, then like what stinky bantha did with his saber used 2 screws to hold it inplace.

Ingenious idea but when I seen several rgb sabers and how much they lacked in brightnes I was quickly turned away.

DARTH KALEL
04-10-2008, 01:44 PM
yeah that's what i've been thinking but maybe make an RGB out of the new seoul p4 just switch out the LED the guy at my local custom cell phone shop says he can do it no prob,

DARTH KALEL
04-10-2008, 01:48 PM
and honeywell sells a 3 watt potentiometer that I can use that's already resisted

Moordak
04-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Couple pics of the knobs:

http://moordakssabers.hopto.org/images/sabers/sabers 071.jpg

http://moordakssabers.hopto.org/images/sabers/sabers 072.jpg

And lastly, next to a MR Vader:

http://moordakssabers.hopto.org/images/sabers/sabers 073.jpg

The new blade helped a ton with the brightness and diffusion.

Hasid Lafre
04-10-2008, 03:22 PM
A pot is basicly a adjustable resistor.

DARTH KALEL
04-10-2008, 04:11 PM
wow that looks pretty tight. I have a few of those knurrled nust laying around. which one is the RGB the right one?

Moordak
04-10-2008, 04:17 PM
RGB is on the left, MR on the right.

DARTH KALEL
04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
well that's not bad at all alot better than I thought it would be

Moordak
04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Remember too though mine is being overdriven to some degree that, to be honest, I'm not sure of. I do know that I took that into consideration and used two quick disconnects on the LED and have a couple spare RGBs around if one of them does blow. One of these days I'll actually find out for sure how many ma is going to each color.

LeMoel
04-11-2008, 01:15 AM
The Endor Rebel RGB is definitly brighter than the pro light RGB, but the RGB rebel has no "optics"

I have one all set up and am trying to purchase the same exact reflector Graven used for his sweet purple mace windu conversion.

Hasid Lafre
04-11-2008, 04:15 AM
He also used a clear silacone or epoxy to make it one big dome.

Pm him to make sure what it was.

LeMoel
04-13-2008, 01:07 AM
yeah thats wat im nervous about attempting

DARTH KALEL
04-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah i'm not sure about that either, but maybe making some optics with silicone out of a mold or something, there has to be a way

LeMoel
04-13-2008, 01:59 PM
yes u are right theres always away

DARTH KALEL
04-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I have a buddy that blows glass, and he has some reflective coating for it, he is blowing me an optic that might work, I will let everyone know how it works.

LeMoel
04-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Hey Moordak do you have to have the knobs to turn the pots ? you can still turn them without the knobs right?