PDA

View Full Version : Blade Retention screw question.

Jedi Master Taka
04-04-2008, 05:40 PM
I am working on getting an order together for my 1st MHS hilt. The only snag I’m running into is figuring out what I should do for a blade retention screw. I’m planning on going with a Style 7 (LED) Blade holder and would like something relatively unobtrusive. Would an 8-32 x 1/8" Set screw work well, or do I need to go for something longer? I plan on using my saber for fairly intense dueling and just don’t want to have to worry about having my blade flying off.

Thanks for the information.

JMT

TD-2272
04-04-2008, 06:14 PM
It should work fine, the blade is very snug in the holders

Dark Helmet
04-04-2008, 10:28 PM
It should work fine, the blade is very snug in the holders

yeah, i had that same holder and i had to sand the blade to fit it in there, but it would look best if you used a set screw, the smallest you can fit in the spot you drill, you just have to go easy with the tap...patience is the key here, and if you do it where the metal is thick you can make it hardly noticable. i used a thumbscrew on mine and hated it ever since the moment i screwed it in. just my opinion, but the worn skin on the webbing of my hand wasn't too keen on it either..... okay, i got away from the question a bit, but the tiniest one should do fine and look great.

edit: it will take very little torque to hold the blade, when you feel it get nice and snug it's done. if you use a tiny set screw be sure not to overdo it and bend the blade enough to lodge the screw in the holder by letting it out of the other side...I'm not sure if this is even possible, but i thought i should point this out just in case.

Hasid Lafre
04-05-2008, 12:14 AM
I would rather have the blade snug in teh holders than otherwise. an even more less chance of it comming out cause the screw failed.

Jedi Master Taka
04-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I just got the blade holder in this week, and it looks great and holds the blade steel. Thanks much for all your advice.

JMT