PDA

View Full Version : First MHS Project

PS3NL
04-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi, i am planning my first MHS saber. I wanted a relatively small lightsaber with sound: a MHS hilt style 4, Pommel 2 and LED blade holder 1 with MR sound board.
Already searched and founded the wiring schematic for a MR luke sound board. But i do have a few questions:

1: Will the electronics plus sound board fit into this? (If not, how many inches do i need to extend to properly fit it?)

2: Are all the MR sound boards the same? (Because i might use a Anakin soundboard with the battery package.)

3: Will a MR sound board WITH battery pack (3AA) fit into a MHS hilt?

Thanks

vortextwist
04-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi, i am planning my first MHS saber. I wanted a relatively small lightsaber with sound: a MHS hilt style 4, Pommel 2 and LED blade holder 1 with MR sound board.
Already searched and founded the wiring schematic for a MR luke sound board. But i do have a few questions:

1: Will the electronics plus sound board fit into this? (If not, how many inches do i need to extend to properly fit it?)

2: Are all the MR sound boards the same? (Because i might use a Anakin soundboard with the battery package.)

3: Will a MR sound board WITH battery pack (3AA) fit into a MHS hilt?

Thanks
1. sounds like it should as long as you use the 4 AAA battery pack.
2. no, the luke and mace are. the rest look the same except the Yoda (which is smaller) but they wire the same.
3. MR batt pack? then no, just use the 4 AAA pack suggested above. I use the 4 AAA pack and fits nicely in the mhs.

PS3NL
04-05-2008, 04:52 AM
Ok, thanks for your reply. But what is the runtime of the 4AAA battery pack?
And does the MR sound module need to be in a plastic housing when you want to fit in the MHS?

Er Dan Gill
04-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Ok, thanks for your reply. But what is the runtime of the 4AAA battery pack?
And does the MR sound module need to be in a plastic housing when you want to fit in the MHS?

The runtime with a 4aaa is gonna be close to an hour.
You will want to mount the card on something, to keep it from grounding out against the body of the saber. 1.25 sink tube work good in an MHS too. Erv from Plecter labs did a good tutorial here (http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=19).

Kant Lavar
04-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Another alternative, I would think, would be to get some plastic tubing and to slip that up around the boards. Glue the insulation onto a free portion of the battery pack and it should help keep it secure and non-suicidal. (By which I mean the electronic bits shouldn't ground out against the saber hilt.) Granted, I've not seen an MR board, so if it's shaped all odd and stuff that might not be the best option. But for something like a Lux driver, or a CF board, it'd be an alternative to the sinktube idea.

PS3NL
04-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Another alternative, I would think, would be to get some plastic tubing and to slip that up around the boards. Glue the insulation onto a free portion of the battery pack and it should help keep it secure and non-suicidal. (By which I mean the electronic bits shouldn't ground out against the saber hilt.) Granted, I've not seen an MR board, so if it's shaped all odd and stuff that might not be the best option. But for something like a Lux driver, or a CF board, it'd be an alternative to the sinktube idea.

A MR soundboard looks like this. (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=1023)
But can you just use electrical tape and wrap it around the sound board?

vortextwist
04-05-2008, 10:54 AM
A MR soundboard looks like this. (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=1023)
yup that's what I would do. I get really good runtimes with the 4AAA pack, the 4AA square pack won't fit,n ot sure if the rectangle one will fit with the board on it or not. have to ask xwing on that one.

Er Dan Gill
04-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Sure you can do that, but having a solid "chassis" to attach the board to, will give you much better motion and clash detection.

vortextwist
04-05-2008, 10:59 AM
motion won't be much of an issue with the mr, but you could always shore it up with some kind of foam. depending on you space.

Er Dan Gill
04-05-2008, 11:07 AM
motion won't be much of an issue with the mr, but you could always shore it up with some kind of foam. depending on you space.

True, but on my first MHS, the difference between having the board "floating" and solidly mounted was quite noticable to me any way.

PS3NL
04-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Will the plastic casing of the MR sound board fit in to the MHS? I might just cut it to fit it right.

Hasid Lafre
04-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Ok I was wrong, for some reasion I thought my brother used the whole case but he only used half of it and sanded on it some.

PS3NL
04-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Ok I was wrong, for some reasion I thought my brother used the whole case but he only used half of it and sanded on it some.

No prob. I was wondering if i just could wrap the sound board in electrical tape and hotglue it to keep it fixed. Can this be done?

Hasid Lafre
04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Well you can take a section of the old mr casings and sand it down a bit, hot glue the edges of the board to the casing and there ya go.