PDA

View Full Version : How long is a lightsaber hilt?

Nightwing
02-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering, how long is the average lightsaber hilt?

xwingband
02-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Around 11 to 12 inches.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

desertscorpion
02-16-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't know offhand what the "average" size is. I've never measured my MRs or any of the other sabers I have, which probably aren't ideal size, anyway. I imagine about two hands breadth and some change. I did do some research with Bugei.com, one time, because I was dead set on getting a fully function katana reproduction (not cheap). They had some ways of calculating the length of both the blade and handle, and mentioned that different preferences, time periods,etc, might dictate also. I did remember them mentioning a time period where exceptionally long handles were used to get more leverage in a strong swing. This will definitely be a consideration in any sabers I make, and might be a consideration for you, too.

The Plague
02-16-2006, 01:48 PM
average hilt size is about 30 cm.

Those who live by the sword, will die by the sword

Protein5000
02-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah, around 30cm is perfect.

Less talk, more action........

LAN-ED-TUL
02-16-2006, 08:30 PM
between 10/12 to 12 inches

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Cactus
02-17-2006, 10:58 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by desertscorpion

... They had some ways of calculating the length of both the blade and handle...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Some one once told me that a sword (or a saber in this case) should be at "nipple height" when you stand. Now the hilt is a certain percentage of the total height. I just don't know what that percentage is.

LAN-ED-TUL
02-17-2006, 11:03 PM
pretty much all standard sabers, as far as length goes are around 10 1/2 to 12 inches in length.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

GFORCE13
02-18-2006, 02:49 AM
Depending on how much electronics you want to install you may need the full 12". On my new Led Hilt with a 4AA Pack, Corbin's Driver Board and Ultra Sound board and a Force Resonator, I could barely fit this all in a 12" 1.5"Dia. Sink Tube.[8D]

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

Hitogiri
02-18-2006, 08:00 AM
If I'm not mistaken the Bugei guys measure it by using their forearm as a guide. Just measure from your elbow to your wrist, mine is about 13 inches.

One of my friends is getting a saber made by Random with the length of his being 14 inches and 2 more on top of that if you count the blade guides.

Brian

desertscorpion
02-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Hitogiri, that sounds right. I have two or three of their catalogs. I haven't read them in forever, though. One of the big one's they put out was very informative. They have some of the coolest, most elegant catalogs I've ever seen. Everytime I think about sabers I want to build, it's always grounded in the context of some of the cool katanas and other swords I've seen.