PDA

View Full Version : LED Question

Klaatu
04-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Sorry for the Vague Title. Has any one wired up an LED in a saber that was not in the "star format" but rather just a loose LED. If so how did u go about doing it? Pics would be incredibly helpful

xwingband
04-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Solder to the legs and then use thermal epoxy.

Technically it's nicer for heat dissapation, but less reliable. It really needs to be epoxied and pressure fit well for our purposes of being banged around. You're going to have to shim it if you use TCSS stuff as it'll be shorter also.

acerocket
04-03-2008, 08:24 PM
I have. It's really quite easy. Just epoxy or use something like cooltape to attach the emitter to the heatsink. Solder the wires directly to the anode and cathode leads. Make sure the leads DO NOT touch the heatsink. Put on your optics and you are good to go. Obviously, if you are using optics designed to mount to a star, you will have to modify the holder to get them to sit lower and keep the same height as the star setup.

http://orbitalmachining.com/assets/images/parts205.JPG

Novastar
04-03-2008, 11:16 PM
To give a different perspective... I have as well, and it sucked for me! I even used "Artic Alumina Adhesive", and it didn't keep the thing in place on the heatsink in a very solid way. Darn thing kept "floating" away from the heatsink when I'd test at certain points and kill the LED.

Granted if you use pressure to hold everything in place... that helps, which is how my saber worked... but... NOT while testing with all the components off!

So... just be aware that doing things w/o the star is often more trouble than it is worth unless you REALLY know what you're doing. Uh... such as like with Ace. :) Be careful with Ace... he knows what's up, and so if he suggests something IS INDEED "EASY" for him... heheheh it *might* not be for chimpanzees such as myself. hehehe

Just teasin', Ace... heheh :)

Klaatu
04-03-2008, 11:31 PM
I found a place on the ol' ebay where u can get like 100 UV LED's for like 10 bucks but hey are just plain LED with just a pair Leads coming out. I thought that would work nicely for some plaiying around with the UV stuff. (yes i understand the dangers of working with UV lEDs)

Ghostbat
04-04-2008, 11:05 AM
I found a place on the ol' ebay where u can get like 100 UV LED's for like 10 bucks but hey are just plain LED with just a pair Leads coming out. I thought that would work nicely for some plaiying around with the UV stuff.

Probably the same guy in Hong Kong I get my LEDs from :) it's a good deal and so far I haven't gotten anything but high quality.

Regular LEDs are pretty different from Luxeon types, but all the principles are the same, and the advantage of being able to destroy them by the handful while you are learning and that only costing you a few bucks is quite nice.

(yes i understand the dangers of working with UV lEDs)

GOOD :)

Klaatu
04-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Sounds like its the same place

http://stores.ebay.com/BestHongKong