PDA

View Full Version : Iam gonna take a guess and say we couldent use this....

Hasid Lafre
04-03-2008, 02:29 AM
http://luxeonstar.com/item.php?id=5652&link_str=178::1425&partno=TLE-300M

I think it would be to big, anyone got a dcell maglight flashlight we could get some spects from?

Marsupial
04-03-2008, 09:25 AM
I have a D-cell maglight.

I believe they remove the reflector and put the 3 LUX instead, inthe head of the mag, as opposed to the traditionnal conversion that replaces the lightbulb to a luxeon LED and continue usage of the reflector.

The maglight body is about the same size as MHS. However, the head (where I believe this goes) is larger - about 1/2 in larger.

I don't think we can use this setup in most saber applications. the LEDs aren't optimally placed and you loose room.

Novastar
04-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Perfect for the ol' 4" OD thick-walled blade, hahahahhahah... :)

A "Light Sausage"... instead of a saber. :)

Strydur
04-03-2008, 06:55 PM
$90 for 3 leds in a custom mount? I think I need to go into the flashlight business.

Hasid Lafre
04-03-2008, 09:32 PM
wait, dont we build glorified flashlights?

TD-2272
04-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Yes we do!!!! I used mine last fall while camping hehehehehe!

Marsupial
04-04-2008, 12:45 AM
$90 for 3 leds in a custom mount? I think I need to go into the flashlight business.

I think it includes the 3 LEDs, 3 optics, 3 holders, 1 driver, 1 heatsink.
Still pricey, but not too bad when you consider that.

All being said, I have a 3W white luxeon the size of a bulb in my maglight, for 22$. Does the trick with zero modifications (drop-in replacement for the bulb.) Also, it has awesome battery life and increased brightness.

I wouldn't even consider putting 90$ lightbulb on a 25$ maglight. At that rate, I'd get one of them 1000 lumen flashlight you can burn paper, or cook an egg on...

Hasid Lafre
04-04-2008, 03:12 AM
At that rate, I'd get one of them 1000 lumen flashlight you can burn paper, or cook an egg on...

Now if only we can get them lumens in an led that would be fantastic.

Marsupial
04-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Now if only we can get them lumens in an led that would be fantastic.

Well, that's something of interest... do you know why we use LEDs in the first place?

when luxeon sabers first started to be made, we didn't use lee filters at all, so coloured LED was something of interest. But, there is also the lumens/watts... or "can I get ennough light with a battery pack that fits my hilt?".

If other light sources starts to emerge with better lumens/watts (or simply better lumens/size) then it could be interesting to consider switching the light source we use. Nothing against LED technologies, I believe it will replace neon and incandescent light bulbs in households... but it might just not be the only solution out there for sabers.

However, if we are to use something different then LEDs, we need to get proper colourations... I am uncertain lee filters would work well with those crazy flashlights. (they might, they are ment for stage projectors)

- just a tought.

Hasid Lafre
04-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah I remember reading the birth of led saber stuff a while ago.

I just don tlike how slow things go. :P

acerocket
04-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Looks familiar.;)

Did anybody take the time to read the specs? Doesn't sound all that great.

"3.5 v to 24 VDC, 12 watts power consumption. Current varies with the voltage to maintain constant output power." - They say 4, 5, or 6 cell battery so you are looking at 4.8-9V depending on which battery and number of batteries you use in the maglite. Assuming 9V, the driver will pull 1333 mA to give the 12W. If you only have 4.8V, the math says 2500 mA to the LED but I doubt the driver will let it draw 2.5A so I suspect you will lose brightness since it will probably only draw 1500 mA max (but I could be wrong).

"600 lumens initial led light output. Minimum 500 lumens at steady state." - So, there is not constant output power? But they just said there was.

"Over-temperature protection. Light output will be reduced to maintain safe led operating temperature. Light output is reduced, not shutdown." - Yeah, and without a heatsink, they are going to be reducing the power a lot to keep the temperature down.

A good idea for a flashlight, but not so good for a saber. Too Bad they didn't invest the time to make the rebel endor work for this.

DACOTA
04-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Yes we do!!!! I used mine last fall while camping hehehehehe!

So did I. I used it at the mount Lassen lava tubes.

Man that thing is espensive.[Misspelling intended] You should sell flashlights too Strydur.:p But how awsome would it be to get that.