PDA

View Full Version : double blade, double sound card help

Dark Helmet
04-02-2008, 11:28 PM
hey, Im looking to make a double blade hilt, but I will be using a luke ANH and a vader ANH for sound, this hilt will always stay a double blade, so i have no pommel sound options. i want both hilts to have sound, and the plan is to run the system on a li-ion cell ( 14.8 or so)... how can i maximize resonance? it will be a lot of sink tube, so i can get more space to create a proper spl, but this project is a bit of a nightmare as far as what i want it to look like, and how it will sound...dual soundcards are going to rock tho, i plan on doing these from a single switch too, most likely with a red-o lux III. i just need some input from those who have done sound without it coming from the pommel, or any other ideas for that matter, i'll try anything reasonable, I just want it to rock!

BTW, I'm just looking for ideas on how I can do this, not just "drill holes everywhere". keep in mind i need to get led wiring past the speakers, and i want both blades to have thier own sound... most of this I'll burn through a lot of time and money to pull off (that I don't mind) but if anyone has worked on this before i would LOVE to hear your input!

Novastar
04-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Ok, you're saying you'll try anything REASONABLE... yet... you say do not respond with "drill holes everywhere". Hmm... ;)

Well... not in so many words, but what will simply be going on is... well, the sounds are waves, right? They need to travel around and bounce around to sort of "gain resonance"... so leave space both AHEAD and BEHIND the speakers if you can. Just do your best.

Now technically, the speakers would actually be somewhat "best" if they were mounted kind of SIDEWAYS inside the hilt... but that could be a real pain in the butt. But... whatever. A good experiment if you like.

However you do it:

* Empty space on either side of both speakers (how much? idk. 1" or whatever)
* Speakers not TOO close together (probably best if they are further apart in my thinking)
* Drill a few "cheese grater" holes in the hilt where the empty spaces will be. Yes, that's right--"drill holes everywhere"! To a point. Start with a few. Listen to things. Muted? Drill more. Listen. You could even make mockups if you like
* Mounting... just leave room for your wires to be able to pass above or below or whatever with the speakers... right through the resonance areas. It won't affect much
* ID of the pipes/hilt parts used = just about the OD of your speaker. 28mm speakers should be OK, all depending.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. RESONANCE is the key to stellar sound. Sure, really really really lousy speakers are lousy no matter what. But... you can turn an "average" speaker into uber with resonance... and make an uber speaker sound like GARBAGE (or muted) by providing little to no resonance. It's just a physics/soundwaves/air resistance thing.

Think like an omni-directional microphone. And listen... MRs are designed VERY badly for sound resonance. I'm serious.

Dark Helmet
04-03-2008, 12:44 AM
ok, maybe the "drill holes everywhere" was a bit harsh, i knew i would have to drill a lot, i just didn't want newbs to tell me the obvious, but i know you get a great sound from your flange's, i actually have a nice way to get wires past the speaker, but it's a be-hotch..and it needs some testing but the idea is to have the speakers closer to the blades, but I'll have to re-design the hilt for the resonance...Ive been paying attention..i just didn't know if anyone tried 2 sound cards....i may even build f-holes in this thing, like a violin... with some baffles in there... just thinkin' like a musician...but ...

THANKS NOVA! I know these are things i need to learn, but your input has been VERY helpful! thanks man...i need to learn a bit more through exp, so it looks like this is the build that will teach me.." is swan going to get this right?....nope...better luck next time..." crap sound, next step....and yes, that's my name...

Novastar
04-03-2008, 12:50 AM
I learned almost everything I know from trying things. I had to. That and a WHOLE lotta phone calls with Joe (Corbin Das). He was EXTREMELY generous and helpful with explanations when I hired him to build the BOP I sabers.

Eandori is going to be your man for the "dual speaker" kind of thing though. Granted, he was trying this using only ONE driver and experimenting with dual speakers FOR that one driver.

Still... he knows what he's doing. Ask him some questions! But yeah, resonance is pretty much where it's at. Experiment by drilling a few holes, listen, drill more, listen, etc. etc. I would choose a pattern to drill first, that way if you find the perfect setup and stop any further drilling, your holes will still look "uniform" and planned.

One or two holes extra will rarely make or break the sound's difference... but do yourself a favor: KEEP THE HOLES SMALL FOR NOW!! :)

lol... sorta reminds me of Robin Hood with Alan Rickman:

"AND KEEP... THE STITCHES.... SMALL!" :)

Hasid Lafre
04-03-2008, 02:44 AM
I will sacrafice alot casue I dont want holes everywhere in my hilt. I did that once and will never do it again.

Ghostbat
04-03-2008, 09:50 AM
We need to have lunch at some point Nova so I can take a close look at how you put your hilts together. So far the only other custom hilt I have seen in person was in the desert and only while it was beating me mercilessly about the head and body :)