PDA

View Full Version : Battery run times....

jash1
03-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Is there a difference in run times if i was to use batteries instead of a rechargeable battery pack? im trying to decide(as well as figure out) how to go about powering a lux III green led and a MR board to their fullest potential and still get decent run time...
Also what other electronic items would i need to make the circut work and not create any magic smoke...

DarthFender
03-30-2008, 05:50 PM
If you are not using a board from the Lightsaber Construction (Joe Jedi) Set, you can run the LuxIII Green from the led output from the board, slightly underpowered, but I think you would be hard pressed to notice the difference.

If you ARE using the Joe Jedi saber's board, you can wire it with a 3W lux driver as sold in the store, just make sure you use the Latching version. You wull also need a DPST or a DPDT switch. No resistors required for either setup.

For the older board you can find the wireing diagram in the "Wiring DIagrams and Schematics" section. I'm still waiting for the step by step setup for the Joe Jedi. I havve completed one but there were a few surprises. (like the switch attached directly to the board, ouch).

jash1
03-30-2008, 08:45 PM
hmmm, so i need to pick me up one of them construction kits..... can it be run without the 3w driver board if im using joe jedi board? and battery wise what will last longest and give best bang for buck.....the sled or recharge packs...

Novastar
03-30-2008, 10:53 PM
It's not that simple. Battery packs are rated for "mah" which stands for milli-ampere-hours. This is essentially saying an approximation of how many hours runtime you'd get if you were sucking 1A (1000ma) from the batteries consistently.

For example, my favorite cells are Li-Ion 18650 3.7v cells. They usually have anywhere from 2200mah to 2600mah each.

If you use two cells, you can double the voltage (7.2v/7.4v) or double the current (4400mah to 5200mah).

Any cell setup can be made to "exactly" match the runtime of another... only question is--at what amount of space used?

cm for ma... Li-Ion battery cells are USUALLY better for voltage and runtime--"energy density". This is not to say that they are simply perfect for every project. They can be big, and the PCB they require can throw things off.

Atomic
04-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Hey Nova, have you found holders for 18650 cells? I've been looking all over and can't seem to find any. Got any sources?

Hasid Lafre
04-03-2008, 09:17 PM
The corbn boards are almost compleatly foreverly sold out till something new comes along.

eastern57
04-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Is there a difference in run times if i was to use batteries instead of a rechargeable battery pack?

There's a little difference, as in, minimal. The big defference will be in the PRICE: batteries are expensive! If you think how much you'd spend on regular batteries, after a month, the rechargeable pack AND charger will have been paid for.

For your set-up, I would recommend the 4.8v 2600mAh rechargeable battery pack. The MR board can be electrical taped/hot glued, whatever, "affixed" to it - serving as the "chassis" and it saves space.

-and yes, the batterypack with a board taped to it WILL fit inside the MHS body

DarthFender
04-06-2008, 10:57 AM
The corbn boards are almost compleatly foreverly sold out till something new comes along.

I know, and that bytes man. Without a Lux Driver, the Joe Jedi board is practically useless. And I don't really prefer the Puck. O well, at least I got enough Corbin boards to run all the Hasbros and SW-616's I'm working on.