PDA

View Full Version : Possible mod for the CF boards?

SWAT Strachan
03-30-2008, 09:14 AM
I might be stepping out of line her, considering that I don't yet have a custom saber, let alone one with a CF board installed (one day though, one day...), but I had an idea that might be of some interest to others.

I have seen on my internet travels, that some sabers can be fitted with Bluetooth transmitters, in order to allow a PC to render the sounds, and play them back through an external sound system. Now that's great for big theatrical performances where the budget might allow for this, but what about Joe Normal who has bills to pay?

Would it be possible to wire a headphone port (3.5mm jack) in between the CF sound board and the internal speaker? My theory is a simple one. If the port could be added to a saber, why not use an FM transmitter (like for the IPod and other MP3 players) to relay the sound through your hi-fi? I would imagine that the sound would be somewhat more 'punchy' if delivered through a 200watt sound system rather than through a 40mm speaker.

Most of the transmitters I have seen only run on a single AAA battery so are quite compact, and I'm sure it would be possible to colour the transmitter in such a way that it would look like a clamp or other integral part of the saber. OK, so the downside is that anyone in the neighbourhood, or passing in their car would be able to tune in to your duels, but if an unused frequency is picked, that shouldn't be a problem :D.

Even if the transmitter is too large to attach directly to the hilt, the internals of it could be removed and installed in the hilt (along with a switch to redirect the sound from the speaker to the transmitter), or an extension lead could be used and the transmitter fitted to a belt (no saber spinning with this idea though).

Has anyone tried this idea? I've done a search through the board for similar threads but nothing came to light, so I thought I'd stick my head above the parapet and see what happens...

Edit: THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/i-nique-Silver-Bullet-Compact-FM-USB-LCD-Transmitter_W0QQitemZ380011760508QQihZ025QQcategor yZ86537QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118 .l1247QQcmdZViewItem) one looks like it would make a promising candidate for conversion...

xwingband
03-30-2008, 09:53 AM
I saw ionsaber sell a saber once like that. As usual the work wasn't the best, very niche and priced way out of range.

I see nothing stopping you from transmitting it. The main drawback is quality of sound. Erv already made a wireless solution though... he made a daughter board that used quality transmitters and did the gestures only to keep the latency super low.

SWAT Strachan
03-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I saw ionsaber sell a saber once like that. As usual the work wasn't the best, very niche and priced way out of range.

I see nothing stopping you from transmitting it. The main drawback is quality of sound. Erv already made a wireless solution though... he made a daughter board that used quality transmitters and did the gestures only to keep the latency super low.I figured that he might have tried something like that, but I couldn't find any reference to it. I think it may still be plausible for the home user, considering that nothing more than a headphone socket would be needed (you could even practice your saber skills with headphones on I guess, although after three or four reverse handed behind the back spins you'd probably end up throttling yourself with the cable :D).

It's something I might dabble with in the future, once I get in to the realms of home-builds and sound boards, but for now I thought I'd just air an idea in case anyone else fancies having a go :).

Novastar
03-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi Swat... good idea, but yes--Erv calls it OmniSabers. I've been told this would be a good idea by many for my live performances, but... it really isn't for what I'm doing. For a number of reasons.

Anyhow... check in with Erv! See what it's all about. Additionally, I believe Hyperdyne did something like this as well, so you could always check in with that. One of the sabers I showed in an H-blade vs. Luxeon brightness video was technically a wireless. I never got a chance to test it out, as the sabers made their way to Edwin. We'll see. All in good time.