PDA

View Full Version : proper way to use tap drills?

ishtob
11-09-2005, 09:46 PM
i bought a couple of the EL blade holders from the custom saber shop, the roblem is that the aluminum seems to be harder then my tap drills, i've already broken 3 drills and ruining 1 of the holder. Does anyone know the proper way to tap a hole? or am i jus unlucky with mine.

im using the Vermont American Black Max treading tools to tap my holders sometimes it goes through fine, but sometimes it gets stuck and when i try to reerse or keep going, the tap drill bit brakes (as in like snaps... -____- i dont think metal is supposed to do that)

suit_man
11-09-2005, 09:59 PM
are you sure that you are using a big enough drill bit to drill the hole that you are tapping? the hole should be just a little smaller than the tap.

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

Strydur
11-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Sounds like you are trying to tap using a power drill? You drill the proper hole for the tap using a drill but you use the tap by hand. Using some cutting oil helps allot. When you are tapping you need to turn it about a half turn in then a quarter turn out then back in etc...If you try and turn it in and never back it out like I said then you will easily break the taps.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

ishtob
11-09-2005, 11:23 PM
oooo..... oil... i see i see

Erik
11-10-2005, 02:17 PM
The way we did it in mechanics class was 3/4 turn in, followed by backing off almost as much, 'cutting' the new thread area clear. And oil is a MUST! It's slow going but successful. Just cut in until you start feeling good resistance then back out a bit.

darkjedimaster07
11-12-2005, 09:37 AM
you need to make sure you keep the tap strai too other wise youll end up with crooked threads and your screw wont go in right

meiv4
11-13-2005, 02:54 AM
yea, oil or cutting fluid is definatly a must, if it gets stuck like you said just run it back and forth in the little area its stuck in. ive gotten a few out like that. if you must power tap get the spiral point kind. here is a link to a 10-24 one from enco. they are made for higher speed taping and are less likly to break, just remeber to use oil or fluid.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=891-4899&PMPXNO=3904745&PARTPG=INLMK32

hmmm hmmmm whooosh hmmmm whooosh crackel