PDA

View Full Version : Differences Between 3W drivers

Sohryu76
03-29-2008, 07:07 PM
The shop offers Momentary and Latching drivers... (momentary only in stock at the moment) but what is the difference between the two?
I know what the differences between momentary and latching switches, and i would have thought that the switch controlled the driver...

thanks in advance!

Ghostbat
03-31-2008, 10:13 AM
The shop offers Momentary and Latching drivers... (momentary only in stock at the moment) but what is the difference between the two?
I know what the differences between momentary and latching switches, and i would have thought that the switch controlled the driver...

thanks in advance!

The latching driver is designed to be operated by a latching switch and the momentary driver by a momentary switch.

Basically if you hook up a momentary switch to the latching driver then it turns on when you press the switch and turns off when you let go. The momentary driver is designed to take the signal of pushing the momentary switch and use that to tell the board to turn on if it is off and turn off if it is on.

Sohryu76
03-31-2008, 10:19 AM
thanks! I should have reposted that Corbin answered my question as well...

here is what he said(for anyone who searches for this later):

-----------
The drivers make the saber behave exactly the same way. The difference is, the latching driver looks for the wires that go to the switch to make contact and keep contact for the saber to stay on. The momentary driver will trigger the saber on with just a momentary connection between the wires. The saber will stay on until there's another momentary closure of the circuit. Then it will go off.

Now, you CAN use a latching switch with a momentary driver or a momentary switch with a latching driver.... It will just behave a little differently:

Since a momentary driver looks for a closure of the circuit, followed by an opening of the circuit in order to turn the saber on and off..... If you were to hook up a latching switch to a momentary driver, you would have to "double click" the latching switch (turning it on, then off) to get a momentary driver to turn the saber on. It makes for a nice "safety" so you don't accidently turn it on or off.

If you hook a momentary switch to a latching driver, you will have a "dead man's switch" setup. That is to say the saber will come on when you press the button, but if you drop the saber, or release the switch, it will power off.

Both of these setups have their fans. I prefer the double click setup myself, since I duel a lot and don't want to accidently turn the saber off.

One other consideration you might want to think about is if you're wanting to integrate a sound module with the driver board. If you are, your general choices will be either a Hasbro sound board or one from an FX saber. The Hasbro uses a momentary on/off switch while the FX has a latching one. If you're wanting the sound to come on with the Luxeon, you'll want the sound board to match the driver in terms of whether it's a latching or a momentary.

-----------

Thanks Corbin!

So a momentary switch will work with a latching Driver, and visa versa just how they respond are different... the biggest difference comes with his last paragraph. the driver should match the soundboard (Hasbro vs MR)