PDA

View Full Version : Wotcha!

SWAT Strachan
03-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Greetings from the UK :).

As with many people who post their first introductory threads on this forum, I too an a complete novice when it comes to the wonderful world of the custom saber. To date I only own the two sabers, one being the original (and so far unmolested) Luke Skywalker ANH MasterFX replica, and the Lightsaber Construction Kit modified by Ultrasabers (so really you could say I have over a thousand sabers!!... Just not all at the same time ;)).

I've been doing a lot of lurking, researching, Googling and YouTubing to see what's available to me in the way of a custom-built saber, and hopefully within the next few days I will have my first MHS saber on order from www.jqlightsabers.co.uk (so far Daren from JQL has been a great help with the design phase of my order). The plan is to have two identical hilts made, but one with a red LuxIII and one with a blue, as I haven't decided where my loyalties lie just yet ;). These will both be short dual-wield sabers with the option of coupling them together using (hopefully) a custom made choke piece.

I decided long ago to let someone else take care of the electronics and assembly of the saber, as the results of my DIY skills could be measured on the Richter scale...

Now a little background. I live in a relatively small village just outside Portsmouth, on the south coast of the United Kingdom. I'm not a convention goer, neither am I a fanatical collector of everything that is Star Wars. In fact the only other SW collectables I have are some miniature ship models hidden in the attic somewhere). However, I thoroughly enjoy the films every time that I watch them, and with my background in collecting (both real and imitation) weapons it was only a matter of time before I hankered after my very own lightsaber.

So it was inevitable that I would end up here :). I'll probably keep lurking for a little longer, until I have my own saber(s) delivered, then I might be in a better position to start commenting on other peoples' posts. After all there's nothing more annoying than someone leaping on a thread, making a complete fool of themselves by spouting a multitude of nonsensical replies, simply because they do not know what the %$&£ they are talking about :D. I hope not to be one of them.

Well, I think that'll do for a quick intro. So if you see me around, be patient with me, just in case I do start talking utter cobblers :D.

Scott.

Angelus Lupus
03-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Welcome! Another UK member, and in the south, too. Quick, get thee to the UK Shindig thread!

DarthFender
03-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the forums, and might I say, I really like your signature. Very witty.

Dark Helmet
03-29-2008, 11:10 PM
haha, agreed fender, welcome home swat.

DarthFender
03-30-2008, 08:08 AM
DH,

Did you throw a Trident? I've been meaning to talk to you about that.... You're probably wanted for murder.

Drichar Deis
03-31-2008, 01:58 AM
Ha ha ha! The mighty british empire shall conqour all!

Oops! power trip, my bad!

Anyway, welcome SWAT.

Look up Shindig 08 in misc topics, were having a UK Meet in August if your interested?

SWAT Strachan
03-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone :).

As for the Shindig, well, one step at a time i think. I haven't even placed a firm order for my first saber yet, so let me get a little more accustomed to the ins and outs of saber ownership first, then I'll think about meets like the shindig.

In the meantime I'm off to get my saber ordered, and then I'm camping out by the post box, just in case Royal Mail do their usual trick of not bothering to check if anyone's home before popping the red card through the door.

Scott.

p.s. Dark Helmet, what film is that clip in your sig from?

Angelus Lupus
03-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Don't be too woried about saber owning for the shindig. Sethski and I were both without sabers (due to non-functioning) for the first meet-up. Barmic Rin was nice enough to let us play with a couple of his, so we still had lots of fun. I'm sure several of the poeple comming to the shindig will have more than one saber. :)

Barmic Rin
03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Welcome Dude!!!

My Bro works in portsmouth! He has two that i've built him, though i'm reworking one at the mo.
So some of my work is in your 'hood! LOL!!!

Do come to the Shindig, some one can lend if yours ain't done yet!

TorLinWaDur
03-31-2008, 06:22 PM
welcome to the forum, SWAT.

DarthFender
03-31-2008, 07:04 PM
p.s. Dark Helmet, what film is that clip in your sig from?

I gave DH all day to answer. It is from "Anchorman" starring Will Ferrel. That is one of my favorite scenes from the film.

GFORCE13
03-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Swat welcome to the CSS!!!!

SWAT Strachan
04-01-2008, 05:36 PM
I gave DH all day to answer. It is from "Anchorman" starring Will Ferrel. That is one of my favorite scenes from the film.Cheers for that, it has been bugging me. No longer though! I've just downl *cough* rented the film and yeah, it's pretty funny. Not entirely my proverbial cup of tea but it wasn't bad :).

DarthFender
04-02-2008, 07:05 AM
My favorite thing about that scene is that it is Tim Robbins that gets the trident. I Guess he got "busy dying". Ha ha.

Dark Helmet
04-05-2008, 06:51 PM
sorry, I zone out pretty bad....that movie rocks..."I'm Brick Tambland, years from now doctors will find I have an I.Q. of 46, making me legally retarded"...as he steadliy put mayonaise in the toaster.

DarthFender
04-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Good Night San Francisco! Go F...... yourself!

I think that went rather well.

DARTH KALEL
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
that movie was sooooo funny but that part was over the top, good to see we share some humor lol