PDA

View Full Version : Guarded switch for Stunt Saber?

Lazer Rob
03-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Can the new SPST Latching Guarded Switch be used on an Ultra Stunt?

Count Malik
03-30-2008, 06:12 PM
probably it might be a bit tricky.

GFORCE13
03-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Tim let me say I Love those new guarded switches, I just saw them for the first time yesterday , I was wondering if anybody has the dimensions on these Dia of hole needed in Hilt and the depth? Thx

Hasid Lafre
03-31-2008, 11:59 PM
tim got these switches from ultra so yes they will work on an ultra stunt saber.

LAN-ED-TUL
04-01-2008, 01:16 AM
after seeing the one my friend got, i can say they extend pretty far into hilts, in a sense completely blocking it off so like the other switches, you can pass a batt pack under them, you cant with the guarded switches.

so you have to make sure theres plenty of room in there for the batt packs, and secure them so they dont accidentally slide into and snap off the switch.

i figured a way to do that, using the existing hole i drilled and tapped for a guard i made myself for the old switch. simply run a longer bolt in, and then anything, like batt packs will hit the bolt and protest the switchs.

Hasid Lafre
04-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Thats a pritty good idea lan.

LAN-ED-TUL
04-01-2008, 02:27 AM
well, i had drilled and tapped a hole to mount a guard i made froma aluminum channel, and shaped it, and curved the backbone side of it to match the hilt curve. a large hole drilled out to fit over the old style switch, and the bolt on hole below that.

so i figured, that just using a longer button head bolt, so it goes down inside enough to protect the switch would work just great.

you have to bear in mind tho, that cuz the switch does extend inside so far, your gonna lose the space inside in that area, and a lil bit more if you use the bolt blocking method i described.

i would say at least maybe round 1 inch of space, at least its lookin like that on my friends setup. but the good news is, with a 7.2 recharge pack, only being 4 inches long instead of 6 inches, which pushes the limits of the inside for fittin the pack in anyways, there will be ample room to place the recharge pack in the lower part of the main hilt section.

and on his hilt, hes usin a choke neck section above the main section, so the puck can fit into there outta the way. and if its a lil tight, since theres so much "meat" there, i can just dremel off whats needed to make it fit in if it doesnt. it only needs to fit in the base part of it.

Er Dan Gill
04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Do you have any pics by chance Lan?

LAN-ED-TUL
04-01-2008, 06:58 PM
of the switch? or what? i dont have any pics of his saber or the switch he got, but i could take some next time im over there i reckon.''

my hilt has a similar hand made guard over the stock type switch with the buttonhead bolt secureing it also.

i bet yur wantin a shot to show how bad that switch blocks off the hilt, right?

i can say, it almost goes all the way down, with just enough room underneath to solder your wires and insulate them. if your lucky a 1/4 space from switch bottoms to hilt interior wall. like i said, pretty well blocks off the hilt, and make the switch very suseptable to gettin snapped off inside by shifting internal parts.

Er Dan Gill
04-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Whoops:oops:, sorry Lan I meant to ask for pics of the switch guard.

GFORCE13
04-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Lan Thx for the information, now I have an idea about how to incorporate one of these in my next hilt design.

LAN-ED-TUL
04-21-2008, 10:56 PM
no prob bro. i even managed to using my step bit in a drill, and a metal cuttin bit in my dremel drill the hole out for the switch, and shoulder the recess larger to fit the guard on his hilt.

so, it can be done yourself with a couple simple bits, and a lil time. the hardest part was enlargening the shoulder, i went slow and easy since it was first attempt, and not my hilt. and it turned out just as good and Tim doing it.

still, waitin tho, on those switches to restock, so i can get 3 of them for my dbl maul type saber, and my jedi hilt.