PDA

View Full Version : MHS Obi TPM saber

acerocket
03-28-2008, 09:32 PM
I haven't built a saber for myself for over a year and decided I needed to clear out my box of parts and see what I could come up with. I found an MHS ribbed section, a 2" double female threaded coupler and a Type 3 emitter and got to thinking. Well, I also found a bunch of other stuff, but in playing with the parts, the three I mentioned looked familiar when put together. So I decided to make a custom pommel and I am going to start what I hope is a passable replica of an Obi TPM using MHS parts. Here is what I have so far:

http://orbitalmachining.com/assets/images/405.jpg

Here are a few pics of the custom pommel I machined:
http://orbitalmachining.com/assets/images/204.jpg

http://orbitalmachining.com/assets/images/304.jpg

http://orbitalmachining.com/assets/images/104.jpg

I also have a couple of blue Lux 3 stars and a older Crystal Focus (V2.something I think). I think I am going to pick up a choke section to replace the 2" double female section and I may have to make a special 1" double female section to get it the proper basic shape/length. Then a couple of sink tube shrouds for the grip and emitter as well as a trim piece for the emitter end and I will be close. I already have a red button and brass valve I could use as well as a few LED bezels and a covertech wheel. As I get more work completed I will post pics to keep things updated.

DarthFender
03-28-2008, 09:37 PM
That pommel is SICK! That saber is gonna rock. IMHO, the "plain" section could be just a tad longer. But seriously, SICK DUDE!

acerocket
03-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I plan on replacing the 2" section with the choke section which I believe is 2.5" inches long and adding another 1" to that so it will look more like the TPM base shape.

DarthFender
03-28-2008, 10:12 PM
That'll be boss, dude. (If I may break out some old Lingo.)

BhujangiJedi
03-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Awesome pommel. I definitely think the thin neck piece with an extra inch or so will look really nice.

Sethski
03-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Looking great so far - look forward to seeing this progress.

I agree that it looks a tad short as it is and will benefit from the extra length. If it's any help, the Larbel Obi-Wan I have is 11 3/4"

37H4N
03-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Awesome pommel acerocket! The Obi TPM saber is among my favorite hilts from the movies. I hope it turns out good.

Ailric Vaux-Hall {KOTOR}
03-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Very nice, I like the choke section myself as it gives the saber a diff look and grip. That pommel is just the bomb diggity, lol. Bet if you made extras you would have many buyers starting w/me for one. Please keep us up to date w/new pics as you go on this project.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-30-2008, 07:39 AM
TIM, you have GOT to make some of those pommels for us dude, that is totally awesome aero.

and a larger pbi pommel would be cool too.

vortextwist
03-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Like others said, that is SICK!. got to have that pommel. lol

Strydur
03-30-2008, 11:48 AM
If I was to offer that pommel I think I would be crossing the line a tad.

37H4N
03-30-2008, 05:23 PM

Even if it were a custom job? Probly I guess. Unless you made it a little different like random sabers does. It's not exactly the same as the movie hilt but it looks very close. I dunno. :rolleyes:

DarthFender
03-30-2008, 05:36 PM

You could, perhaps offer it as a decorative sink knob? That would be Ironic.

BlackDOG
03-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Very Nice.............

Was this the hilt you mentioned to me or do you have ROTS/ ANH too?

needs saying again....VERY NICE.

Tim, I have never understood why LFL did not embrace the fan community(generally speaking). IDK. I have heard its all about money, but I think it is about control.

Although a guy here in NC (TK-409) was actually contacted by Lucasmegaopoly to do a promo in Australia, I think it was.....He does a wicked c3po.....

Sorry, that was a thread derail.........................

BD

Hasid Lafre
03-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Very awsome ace!

I think your gonna start a new thing here.

Ya know I got to thinking that if tim could make this then maybe there are some suttle changes that can be made to get by. I mean the style 3 pommel is changed enought I think to get by. I mean look at the style 5/8 bladeholder. There not exact but close to get us by, so iam sure this pommel could be made with small changes.

djobitwan7
04-02-2008, 11:28 AM
That pommel is seriously wicked. I wanted that pommel for quite some time and incorporated it in one of my designs as well. You came up with a way that left it hollow for the sound. It amazes me how everyone here comes up with stuff, LOL

vortextwist
04-02-2008, 02:49 PM
that style/design could be a compliment/addition to the MPS.

Barmic Rin
04-05-2008, 01:06 PM

Just do like you did with the ROTJ style hilt, you could 'alter' your design to avoid the wrath of GL's legal team!

Also, instead of the fivestar set up of the Kenobi, you could do a solid ring insert instead, just like the Random boys do!

Hasid Lafre
04-05-2008, 01:21 PM
I think a solid ring would look neat.

Oh I got it, a real mps system where you could take say the obi style and use a solid ring or maybe a ring with holes in it, maybe spikes? or strange angled blocks.

Different ends, ring or ring style inserts then a end piece that can be interchanged.

DACOTA
04-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Man I love the pommel, and the whole tpm saber set.:p

Tenric Starkindler
04-06-2008, 08:12 PM

so don't offer it as a whole unit but as pieces of the MPS....

comingcurse
04-08-2008, 12:13 AM
I have to agre with Tenric - you are probably safe if you offer them as separate pieces (as in the pics) in the MHS. Awesome work Ace!:D

Sohryu76
04-08-2008, 08:38 AM
probably safe and safe are two different things...
the last thing Tim needs is LFL on his doorstep because we all post pictures of our Pommel we bought as seperate kit pieces (that is exactly how they will see it) from him...
I enjoy the Custom Saber Shop... but I do want that Pommel...

eastern57
04-08-2008, 12:25 PM
probably safe and safe are two different things...
the last thing Tim needs is LFL on his doorstep because we all post pictures of our Pommel we bought as seperate kit pieces (that is exactly how they will see it) from him...
I enjoy the Custom Saber Shop... but I do want that Pommel...

"Hear Hear!" well said. The lower on the LFL radar Tim stays, the better off we ALL are...

Barmic Rin
04-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Tim is safe as he does custom work, not mass produced stuff (like SHepperton studios, who are getting sued by LFL AGAIN!!!)

As to doing it as MPS, that could work. Like Hasid said, Spikes or a solid ring. THat'd cheer up alot of us saber geeks out there. (Still drooling over Erv's Kenobi...)

acerocket
04-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Another update: I did some painting.

I still need to pick up a choke section from Tim and then see how long of a straight section I need.

http://orbitalmachining.com/assets/images/black_parts02.jpg

Tom Starkiller
04-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Lookin mighty sweet dude.

LAN-ED-TUL
04-20-2008, 11:27 PM
man, i really want that knob for my mhs jedi hilt it would look sweet on there.

Madcow
08-19-2008, 09:40 PM
So...
What ARE the chances of a run of these showing up in the TCSS store soon?

MC

Master Dru-Er
08-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Man after reading up on the Shepperton Studios legal battle, i'd think it wouldnt be offered at all. The only way I see it happening is if depending how readily available pieces are and coming up with an assembly for that particular pommel. And tim offering the most difficult part(s) to complete that assembly. Like a pre drilled notched ring that then fits on a gearshift knob. Drill tap mount swing.

Barmic Rin
08-20-2008, 12:21 PM
We said about this before.

I say several inserts be made available, one solid one like Aurra sings, one similar to Kenobi's but with different number of knobs, one Spiky one for those desperate Sith out there....
End of the day, it's Tim's call, and we'll keep throwing our money at him regardless! LOL!!!

An example of Aurra
http://www.yourprops.com/norm-434f3b4d9819f-Star+Wars+Prequel+Trilogy.jpeg

Jhadious Aran
08-26-2008, 01:38 AM
yeah, easy way to get away from all of that is just let Tim design his own "ball" style pommel with lines or X's or w/e, spikes as well for the sithys. getting too close to the obi pommel would probably spell trouble. and i know im new to the scene but id kinda like to keep tim around so i can get parts and great service from tim, like i've gotten so far.