PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about Corbin's driver

LordMasoch
03-28-2008, 12:20 AM
...that I'm sure have been asked a few times already.

I've been lurking around the forums for a few weeks now, and have been trying to find as much info as I can. I've been trying to find some specs on Corbin's driver. I'm looking to drive a red Lux III. What mAH and voltage does the driver output, or is it variable? I'm trying to figure this out so I can figure out what kind of battery pack I'm going to use to drive it. The only problem I forsee with the driver is the fact that the red Lux III requires ~1400 mAH, and I'd like to at least drive the light as fully as possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Moordak
03-28-2008, 06:07 AM
From what I've read it's not so much the voltage that matters at the amps. That being said, I remember reading that a Corbin driver puts out 1000ma which will still drive a red Lux III, just not fully. How much real world difference that 400ma would make in visible brightness, I don't honestly know.

LordMasoch
03-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks a bunch. I'm still debating between red and blue, honestly. So, with Corbin's driver, I can have (for example) a 7.2v NiMH and it will still only feed it the ~3v the LED wants?

Moordak
03-28-2008, 09:38 AM
I believe so, yes. I think the absolute max input voltage for a Corbin driver was 12 volts, but it's not recommended to go over 9ish. Don't quote me on that though. But no, I don't think you'd have an issue with a 7.2 nimh pack, Corbin driver and any Lux III.

If you're wondering, here's a good link for wiring diagrams:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=4091

LordMasoch
03-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Wow. Thanks. Very helpful diagrams. :)

Moordak
03-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Here's another good thread to read that should help.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=3813

Moordak
03-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Actually after doing some more reading, you might not want to use the 7.2 pack. If you read through the pages of this section of the board there are a lot of topics dealing with this issue that will help to explain it. I'd say if you're using a Lux III though to use a 4.8 pack. If you wanted to use a Lux V, a 7.2 would be ok. Either way, I'd read on through the pages here and you'll find a lot more clarification on the topic.