PDA

View Full Version : Blade Diameter

Blazemann
03-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Why does the EL Blade size have to be Thick-walled 3/4"? Why can't it be a Thick-walled 1"? And why can't a LED blade not be the Thick-walled 3/4"?

Strydur
03-24-2008, 08:52 PM
You could make a 1" EL blade but it would either take a ton of EL or a filler of some type to take up the space.

Most people do not use a 3/4" thick for LED because they are harder to make light up nice since the ID is so small.

Blazemann
03-25-2008, 04:32 AM
You could make a 1" EL blade but it would either take a ton of EL or a filler of some type to take up the space.

Most people do not use a 3/4" thick for LED because they are harder to make light up nice since the ID is so small.
Thankyou, for explaining this! I am new to this site, but will propably be here for a long time.

Jay-gon Jinn
03-25-2008, 09:27 AM
I have had a couple of eL blades that were also 3/4" thin-walled polycarbonate, and they worked fairly well for what they were. They have both recently been converted to thin-walled led blades though.

Luke-SkyMarcher
03-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Why does the EL Blade size have to be Thick-walled 3/4"? Why can't it be a Thick-walled 1"? And why can't a LED blade not be the Thick-walled 3/4"?

EL blade is thickwall 3/4" because originally it was thinwall 3/4", but those (occasionally) break in duels.
There is no reason why it "can't" be thick-walled 1" - though I suspect people didn't try it on account of how heavy the blade would be.
An LED blade can certainly be thick-walled 3/4": I've done it myself. Although as Strydur said it is harder to get it to light up well, it is still much brighter than EL even when done poorly. When done well, I estimate it's probably about 3x brighter, and the color looks better in any case.

Strydur
03-25-2008, 09:26 PM
EL blade is thickwall 3/4" because originally it was thinwall 3/4", but those (occasionally) break in duels.

Just for the record we have never done 3/4" thin walled EL blades nor have I seen anyone else.

Jay-gon Jinn
03-25-2008, 11:53 PM
The two 3/4" thin-walled EL blades I had came from Random Sabers and RLSA Sabers.

Luke-SkyMarcher
03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
I was referring to Jedi-Loreen's original EL blade tutorial on the force.net

DarthFender
03-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Luke,
I read that one... the one with the PolyE bushings, which rattled like hell.
Yeah, I had one of those. Yeah, it borked. Then I discovered LED/LUX.

Now I'm hooked. No offence to that old design, but even JLo stopped building them that way.

Jedi-Loreen
04-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Hey, I did the best I could with what I had at the time. Nobody else was doing this. :???:

I couldn't get the 5/8" diffuser tube inside the 3/4" thin walled tube, so I went with 1/2" and made the bushings out of pieces of the 5/8" pieces I had left when I was searching for the right tubing that had the diffusion properties I was looking for.

I've redone the EL blades that I actually used. They are all now the thick walled, and I was still able to get the 1/2" diffuser tube inside.

I don't really use my EL sabers and blade anymore, unless I'm letting someone borrow one.

LED is the way now.

DarthFender
04-28-2008, 09:35 PM
J-Lo,

I meant no offense with my comments. I was just stating that the art had progressed. And EL has been left behind. Kinda like nobody plays with POGS any more. Back in their day I would rather have a rattly EL Blade made by following your tutorial than pay out the Schnoz for a Parks blade. I must admit that I would never have even though about making my own Lightsaber, had it not been for your tutorial. So, that was my "first step into a larger world."

Some people just talk about stuff, you are one of the doers.

Jak'Kan-Ur
05-12-2008, 08:20 AM
This sounds a like your beginning to lean towards the light...
jk

DarthFender
05-27-2008, 07:37 AM
This sounds a like your beginning to lean towards the light...
jk

Light... dark... Whatever gets the Job done. That's what being a Sith is all about.