PDA

View Full Version : Mask Making?

Darth Relin
03-22-2008, 11:00 AM
anyone have a simple mask making tutorial. like for a darth Nihilus mask or just a generic face mask. i really want to make this mask for my costume but i really dont know how to go about starting it. alright thanks guys:D

chase
03-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I've got an idea, but I don't know how well it would work. Do you know what a blank mask is? It's the best base you can get for a custom project like you are wanting to do.

http://www.halloween-mask.com/male_blank_cf.htm

Of course I wouldn't recommend getting that one because it's horridly overpriced by about 15 dollars, but you can get a few of those from a different site for cheap, and practice using those to get the painting right. You would have to do some fabrication to it, but that's easy, and that's another reason I suggest getting more than one. Get like 5 so you can practice and mess around with different ideas, paints, and designs.

Darth Relin
03-22-2008, 07:20 PM
why the hell are thye even selling that for $20 and why do thye even say its over priced?????

Atomic
03-23-2008, 08:08 AM
These are $45 and come in a variety of (military) type colors. There is a solid black and a green that could work as a base for anything. They don't have a website yet, but here's an airsoft thread:

http://ampair.net/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?33360

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/alee1981/Mask4.jpg

987654321a
03-23-2008, 04:27 PM
First make a plaster cast of your own head. Slap on some clay and shape it to how you want your mask to be. Add the details, then mold it with plaster. Then apply latex. If you want to go that route. But if you want something hard. Carve the mask out of clay, get a silicon mold, and cast it in fiberglass.

Darth Tollo
03-24-2008, 04:35 AM
Leather is also a good option. Search online for a tutorial on how to make the mask that Slipknots guitarist Mick used to wear. You just make the changes you want and then put itt together. An old buddy of mine made my mask so I don't know where to find the pattern but I'll keep an eye out for you.

TD-2272
03-24-2008, 11:31 PM
First make a plaster cast of your own head. Slap on some clay and shape it to how you want your mask to be. Add the details, then mold it with plaster. Then apply latex. If you want to go that route. But if you want something hard. Carve the mask out of clay, get a silicon mold, and cast it in fiberglass.

Yeah thats it in a nut shell. I used an manquin head and slap some clay on the head and sculpt or desin, get some dragonskin from smooth-on and some of their plastie shell, build up the dragonskin in layers until you get a least a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch once it dries completely ( let each layer dry in between) put on the plastie shell to give the dragonskin support let dry them remove the shell then remove the mold (dragonskin) and their you have it a perfect negative mold of your sculpt the you can use plaster or fiberglass and resin or a rotocast type of resin to make your copy I hope this helps :) also get a good mould release spray from smooth-on

Darth Relin
03-25-2008, 11:36 PM
that leather idea is perfect if i can get it to work right and probily the cheaper and easier route and it will give a good textor.