PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Kyrlon on MHS parts

Cope
03-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I got some Krylon metallic paint, the stuff that changes in light with 2 primers. It is purple and gold and bluish. I have never used to stuff, was going to use it with 3 coats of poly for my wife's computer case.

Granted I can do the powercoat, I have used that before, I have this stuff sitting here....

-Cope

DarthFender
03-21-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't see why not. As long as the directions say it will adhere well to Aluminum. I would recommend you tape off the threaded sections to keep them clean. Otherwise they migh bind on you when you try to screw it back together. Let us know how it turns out.

ArkaiHalon
03-22-2008, 04:59 AM
I've used krylon on a couple of sabers. just remember, Sand, Prime, Paint.

chase
03-22-2008, 11:17 AM
I've noticed with the metallic paint that it's very thick and tends to run. Go easy on it from a distance and just do light coats to eventually cover what you are painting. Tell me how it works out when you are done.

TheCheeker
03-22-2008, 11:06 PM
i used a metallic gold on my saber at it looks great. make sure you clear coat the crap out of it. i didn't and i chipped the paint a bit from bumping it into stuff. ;)

Cope
03-23-2008, 12:11 AM
I heard you have to clear coat and buff like 5 times for a good finish and 10 times for a car type shine finish... would anyone be able to substantiate this?

-Cope

Again would it eat away at anything or does anyone have fume problems with their painting.

Treadingwolf
03-23-2008, 08:13 AM
I don't know about buffing, but clear coating works fine if you do several light coats. Do like Arkai says too sand any parts you plan to paint to give the primer someting to grab on to, prime it good so the paint will have something to hold on to as well. Make sure you let it FULLY dry(most directions suggest a drying time up to 48 hours) after you have applied your desired coats, then you can handle it and clear coat it.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd58/treadingwolf/PC170395.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd58/treadingwolf/P3130496.jpg

I did both of those like this and they are holding up fine ;)