PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

darthcravin
03-18-2008, 03:37 PM
is it possable to add sound to a parks lightsabre?

xwingband
03-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Simple answer: Yes. Haven't seen one yet you couldn't.

darthcravin
03-18-2008, 08:01 PM
great.i just put my order in for a double helix.could you tell me is there some place i could have this done for me or is it something i,m gonna have to do myself?

xwingband
03-18-2008, 08:20 PM
A few sabersmiths will tackle it. Maybe even Tim... I wouldn't tackle that for a first timer. It's by no means an easy project. OR a cheap one. $475 is a darn expensive saber to just have to rearrange the guts for.

Jedibum
03-18-2008, 11:09 PM
I agree with Xwingband. Parks hilts are very good quality, but if you are looking to make a saber with sound I think you would be better off using Tim's parts. You could make a pretty kick-ass saber from Tim's store using less than half the money that you would spend on the Double Helix. Tim even has claws you could add to it, which I like better than the Double Helix claws. And you have plenty of money left for sound.

Novastar
03-18-2008, 11:41 PM
darth... well, there's nothing bad about you having put in your order already. You could always TRY asking them what it would take to cancel if you wished... and the worst they could say is "no" period.

As to fitting components into a saber, a sink tube has the largest ID usually, and provides a lot of strength, but exactly what X and Jedibum said... the MHS parts from TCSS are definitely a great way to go!

Good luck. And what's the harm in owning a Parks... and LATER ON another saber? Not much... :)

darthcravin
03-19-2008, 05:46 AM
as i said i,m very new to the hobby.could someone give me the names of some sabresmiths.i do have a mr darth maul sabre but ny love was for action figures but since i dont have to hunt for figs anymore the funs kinda went out of it.back to sabres i,m not sure how to build one but i would like to learn.

BlackDOG
03-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Well if your wanting to build...this is the right place.

Now for a recon intelligence report............

Alot of noobtacular folks.....like myself...come in and want to glean all the info in this forum at once, which makes for a train wreck. There is frustration and then someone says something snippy...people go away with hurt feelings.......so?

Take a good long while to read old posts.......read the stickies and search for words you dont "Get"...the thing that stinks is we often abbreviate so PCB (Printed Circuit Board) or EL(electroluminescent) get confusing and the search function requires a 4 letter length. For three letter stuff PCB, LED, SMD, ETC......add a * to the end and that should work.

Many guys don't want to take the time to learn how to do stuff, they want a cool saber YESTERDAY....thus they ask, "How can I fix this with this led and add that?" The answer is read and read and read......Patience is rewarded with understanding......NOVASTAR for example would probably tell you that he knew NEXT to NOTHING several years ago, and now he knows bunches more than he did.

There are guys here with a wealth of knowledge, and much of it has already be put down somewhere.......

Also, as Nova previously said, whats the harm in having more than ONE saber........ I am working on numbers 5 & 6 now.........

As for parks.......I love his hilts. I almost bought one 2 or 3 years ago, but backed out......I bought an EL saber 8-9 years ago from another seller and got shafted. So I chickened out. Several people have converted the PArks to LED...do a search on that.......see what i mean.......

There is a way to do what you are asking.....try a search for PARKS SOUND.

Welcome and PM me with any questions and I will be glad to help.....Not that I really know anything, I just am a recent noob like yourself and understand the frustration with thte search thingy.

BD