PDA

View Full Version : Best purple filter?

wood7588
02-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Hey all
I am making a saber for my wife and she insists it be purple. What type of filter gives the best purple?
Thanks

Madcow
02-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Tough break,
My wife likes green, and then she didn't even come to the party that I made her the saber for!

I'm considering attempting a 2 LED saber. I've experimented with both a red and a blue LED next to each other and it makes a dynamite purple. Problem is - you can't use a lense that way.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

LAN-ED-TUL
02-12-2006, 11:30 PM
only way to do it right now is use white lux 3 watt and purple filter disk from tim.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

desertscorpion
02-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Is that possible?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madcow

Tough break,
My wife likes green, and then she didn't even come to the party that I made her the saber for!

I'm considering attempting a 2 LED saber. I've experimented with both a red and a blue LED next to each other and it makes a dynamite purple. Problem is - you can't use a lense that way.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

xwingband
02-13-2006, 03:36 PM
That's what an RGB LED does. Mixing colors is fine. Focusing it like he said is the problem.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Nightwing
02-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Why couldn't you use a RGB LED with red and blue turned on? Sure, it'd waste battery power like crazy, but if it looks good...

xwingband
02-13-2006, 09:17 PM
From others experiments the red is more powerful. You'd have to limit it to mix with the blue well on a RGB LED.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Mur-Pa DiLos
02-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Red is too powerful to mix with the blue, even with my filters! However one of the color filters that Tim sells is exactly the color of Mace Windu's lightsaber and another one is like a "royal purple" I'll post pics as soon as I find a digital camera. For only $1 more than a regular LED, basically the white plus the filters, you can't go wrong. I love mine.[:D]

LAN-ED-TUL
02-17-2006, 09:16 AM
pretty much what i said before white with filter.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

GFORCE13
02-18-2006, 02:58 AM
I am using the White 3W with the Filter and it is really a good looking purple.[8D] Plus if she get's tired of it you can always easily change colors.

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

tetmatek
02-18-2006, 10:33 AM
You can use a RGB LED with a potetiometer hooked up to just the red. Hook the blue up normally then turn down the red a bit and you get a sweet lookin purple. If you use the green instead of blue you get a pink.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3213/sig35jo.jpg

Spencer_P
02-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Corbin told me that a bin 1 light blue cyan 3 watt LED with a red filter makes a very nice Windu purple.

Cyambin
02-22-2006, 07:38 PM
yes but is it purple or magenta? or VIOLET? You see the prob here is that 'Windu purple' hasn't really been defined.
I'll give it a shot. In the movies Windu's saber is actually a two-tone color. The outer 'corona' is darker, cooler and more violet while the inner strip of the blade's color is a much lighter, brighter, magenta-ish and I even daresay girly purple. The result is everyone's favorite perfect purple. What people fail to see is that purple isn't really like that, sadly. Sometimes people understand this and call it 'electric' purple, like the kind of purple you'd see under a black light. It is nearly unattainable. Maybe a perfect balance of colors of the purple spectrum would create a true 'Windu purple'? I doubt it can be done. I think that too much of one purple would kill the rest. And there isn't currently a way to make a two-tone saber, so really the only way I see that this color can be achieved is with a black light saber(you lucky fool) so if I am correct you have to choose what kind of purple you want.
Any thoughts?

Cactus
02-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Maybe somebody could (somehow) put a hole in a purple filter and then use Gelu's film inside of Tim's diffuser. This might give you a "Windu purple" or maybe a cool coring effect.
Any thoughts?

scaarmor
02-23-2006, 09:14 AM
I havent personally tried Gelus diffuser material, but I have tried drilling a small hole in a purple color disc in use with Tims diffuser. All the little hole did was allow the powerfull white light of the LED through and completely overtake the color filter. No purple came through at all, just bright white...I also tried cutting a blue and yellow disc in half and glued the two halves together. Hoping to get a good green without stacking filters and making it less bright-no dice for this either. Again, no color what so ever, just white.

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Cyambin
02-25-2006, 03:46 PM
What I want to know is what colors the other blue LEDs with filters will make. I might as well just buy them and experiment myself.

But this is what I don't get. Why don't they just make a purple Lux??

tetmatek
03-01-2006, 10:01 PM
They won't make purple because RGB technology makes this possible. Alot of LED tech is moving to this because you can get all colors out of 1 LED. That how moving LED signs work. How else could you make an LED picture that moved if the colrs aren't in the same location. It's a shame that Luxeons wern't developed with a saber in mind. we are just a small part of what the tech was developed for.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3213/sig35jo.jpg

supertrogdor
03-02-2006, 11:23 AM
the best purple i came up with was with a combination of tim's color disks, as my son likes to switch them back and forth to see all the different colors i couldn't tell you what combo looked best, but play with the medium blues and the lighter reds until you get what works best for you
cheers