PDA

View Full Version : buckpuck wiring

fawnheart2000
03-12-2008, 07:52 AM
OK I'm trying to hook two 700mA buckpucks together to get 1400mA. Now do I hook up the buckpucks in parallel(both VIN+ wires together, both VIN- wires together,both LED+ wires together, both LED- wires together?) Also the cntl and ref leads do they need to be connected together to get the most current out of the pucks or just remove them?

Arm on Fire
03-12-2008, 08:23 AM
I too am in the middle of wiring this setup, as far as i know (someone correct me if im wrong) you put all like wires together (parallel). as far as i know you dont need to use the cntl and ref wires unless you are using a pot. to control brightness. I'm working on a diagram for my setup since i couldnt find one here. ill post it when i get it done maybe it will help.

Arm on Fire
03-13-2008, 06:13 AM
Here is my Wiring of (2) 700 mA Buckpucks (taped together) wired in parellel with DPDT slider, and Quick connect for LED all parts sold in TCSS store. Hope this helps :)

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff204/armonfiredesigns/Furysaber016.jpg

JediKnightBJ
06-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Great picture there, just one question, how do you run the battery wires?

Arm on Fire
06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
black (-) on battery pack to black on puck (vin-)

red (+) on battey pack to switch,then to red on puck (vin +)

or for those who need more or a visual...

Battery black ----------------------------- black on puck (vin -)
Battery red ++++++++ Switch ++++++++++ red on Puck (vin +)

JediKnightBJ
06-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Let me ask the question this way.

You have two buck pucks, A and B.

You so you have Positive A and Positive B,

and Negative A and Negative B.

Do you just combine the two positive wires from the two buckpucks?

(+) A twisted with (+) B to positve a battery- Of course with a switch bewteen buckpuck and battery postive wire

(-) A Twisted with (-) B to Negative battery

Is it like that?

Darth Leximus
06-16-2008, 11:25 AM
to put it simply....yes exactly

JediKnightBJ
06-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Ok, I've tried this. I have two buckpuck 700ma wired together, and one 1000ma. I hooked my Lux III red up to both. In my opinion, one handed as it is, the 1000ma buckpuck looks brighter than two 700ma buckpucks wired together?

Can anyone explain this to me? Both are using 4 AAA battery packs with brand new batteries in both.

Strydur
06-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Just for kicks..try putting more voltage to the 1400 one. Like hook 2 4aaa packs to it.

JediKnightBJ
06-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Ok, I hooked up two 4 AAA battery packs at once and it went super bright, burned my fingers then poof!. Um, now my red Lux III is dead.

Where did I go wrong?

Malaki Skywalker
06-19-2008, 02:36 AM
Did you insulate the bottom of your Red Lux III?

Darth Leximus
06-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Something is definately wrong there the puck should have regulated the current so that wouldn't happen. Something must be wrong somewhere.

Sorry about the loss of your LED

Malaki Skywalker
06-19-2008, 06:41 AM
It sounds like it grounded out, so if you didn't insulate the LED, that would more then likely be the culprit

JediKnightBJ
06-19-2008, 12:09 PM
I had the LED mounted on a copper heatsink with the thermal adhesive tape, it was supposed to be non-conductive?

So you are saying that it grounded out against the heatsink? I wasn't installed in a hilt or anything. I was just trying different avenues of power.

Darth Leximus
06-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I still think that somehow the wiring is messed up. It sounds like what would happen if you just bypassed the pucks and hooked up 8 batteries straight to the LED. Now I don't think you did that by any means that's just what the behavior sounds like to me.

Malaki Skywalker
06-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I had the LED mounted on a copper heatsink with the thermal adhesive tape, it was supposed to be non-conductive?

So you are saying that it grounded out against the heatsink? I wasn't installed in a hilt or anything. I was just trying different avenues of power.

Did any of the connection cross on the Lux III when it was on?

Strydur
06-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Well I didnt mean for that to happen:confused:

A buckpuck if wired correctly will output the same amount if you give it 5v or 32v. Did you have it wired like arm on fires picture?

JediKnightBJ
06-19-2008, 01:28 PM
I had it wired identical. The only difference being that I just hooked up double the normal batteries. I had an 8 AAA holder hooked up to it.

Darth Leximus
06-19-2008, 01:32 PM
well I'm stumped!

Maybe you got one of those new extra special exploding Lux III's, otherwise I got nothing

JediKnightBJ
06-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Here is my Wiring of (2) 700 mA Buckpucks (taped together) wired in parellel with DPDT slider, and Quick connect for LED all parts sold in TCSS store. Hope this helps :)

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff204/armonfiredesigns/Furysaber016.jpg

It looks identical to this, insert 8 AAA's and the copper heatsink with a piece of thermal adhesive tape and the led, mounted with nylon screws. I actually used two pieces of thermal tape in order to completely cover the heatsink, as to not allow direct contact between the LUX III and the heatsink, for conductivity reasons.

Malaki Skywalker
06-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Well you got me on this one, perhaps a faulty buck puck, maybe even the LED do you have a pic of your wiring?

JediKnightBJ
06-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Shhh...I'm actually at work at the moment, I'll try and get some pictures up when I get home.

Hasid Lafre
06-19-2008, 06:50 PM
I really want to wire 2a pucks togeather to overdrive the k2s and luxIII reds and ambers just to see how much brighter they are.

LAN-ED-TUL
06-19-2008, 09:26 PM
thats really odd. i followed that picture when i wired up my dbl maul saber. 2 700 pucks in each end with a red/O L3 led.

im running 4 AA pack on each side. and mine works like a champ. i used artic silver, just a dot of it under the led on the heatsink. i always have been using the artic silver and have never had a led blow due to anything in relation to that. just one time i knocked one out from such a hard blow while dueling.

the only thing i did different was i used 2 of those recessed guarded latching switches from the shop on the maul style saber i built.

B5813
06-23-2008, 10:19 PM
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5842/doublebuckpucksetupdrawqq4.th.jpg (http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doublebuckpucksetupdrawqq4.jpg)

JediKnightBJ
06-24-2008, 07:06 AM
I followed that diagram exactly when I wired the two buckpucks together. I emailed the LED company and they are having me ship the LED back to double check and make sure it wasn't defective. They said they will try and ship me out a new one, but aren't sure as to if this would be something they would consider defective. Oh well. My final thoughts on it are that the LED may have grounded out somehow to the heatsink, or something. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks for everyone's input.